Contract question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

craigkes

gas is good
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been beaten to death but I couldn't find any recent comments on this. I have been given a contract where I would be doing 80% pain and 20% anesthesia (my asking as I do miss the OR a bit). I know this can be tricky but wanted to see if you guys had an opinion on the contract set up I was given.

The first year is salaried (a little less than MGMA median for the position). The second and third year are set up as being paid on work RVU's only for the pain management portion. Once I reach a certain wrvu I get paid that conversion factor for the wrvu's that I do prorated for my 80% pain work. For example, wrvu's up to 0.8 times the 50th percentile will be paid at the MGMA conversion factor per work rvu. This continues for higher production and such. This doesn't seem like a bad deal for the most part but I welcome any opinions.

My question has to do with the OR portion. They are paying a standard rate per year at 0.2 x the median for anesthesia (which works out to be around 80K). There is nothing in this formula about production at all. The cases are smaller cases but are performed in a small hospital and an ASC. I don't have daily numbers or mix of cases so it isn't that helpful but will be getting numbers. I am curious if I should be basing my anesthesia pay off of production vs a flat fee. I hadn't seen a lot of these contracts before so I thought I would ask you guys and saw what you thought. Thanks in advance for the help.

Members don't see this ad.