Controversial Healthcare Topics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spongebobdoc

Reaction score
I have recently been invited to interview at a school that tends to ask (per SDN) to mention a controversial healthcare topic, and to discuss both sides. Does anyone have any suggestions for what topics I could discuss that aren't too controversial? I heard euthanasia is one, but I want to make sure I'm mentioning a good topic that isn't out of pocket.

Members don't see this ad.

No offense dude but Google is really great for finding lists of stuff to start your research. You keep asking questions that are super easy to find the answer to.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
No offense dude but Google is really great for finding lists of stuff to start your research. You keep asking questions that are super easy to find the answer to.

You right lol, I just wanna make sure I'm choosing something that's valid since a lot of time Google's got like a million topics.

Members don't see this ad :)
Should US law be changed to allow people to be paid for organ donation? (currently illegal)

Should embryos be protected as human beings, or as property, prior to implantation?

Given that marijuana is still considered a controlled substance under federal law, but is legal to sell and use in some states, how should hospitals handle situations where patients are using marijuana on hospital property?

Should US law be changed to assume every deceased person to be an organ donor unless they opted out, rather than the current practice of requiring opt-in or permission of the next of kin?

Reactions: 2 users
Abortion.
That's a really broad topic. It could be narrowed to questions such as:

should the law prohibit minors from accessing abortion services without parental knowledge? with parental knowledge but not requiring parental permission?

In states that severely restrict access to abortion, does it make sense to do early prenatal testing?

Should OB-GYNs practicing in states that severely restrict access to abortion, move across the border to states that are less restrictive if it means that 1) patients will be able to access reproductive healthcare in a less restrictive environment vs. 2) patients will have to travel farther to see a provider for services that are legal in their home state?

We cover many topics in "Becoming a Student Doctor."

General topics found here:

When I ask that question in interviews, I want to know what topics/controversies you are passionate about... not that you've done "research" on the topic. So what are you passionate about?

Just like if you say you are passionate about my school, I want to know you have done more than read the website.

Similar expectations for "the controversial issues" question.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You right lol, I just wanna make sure I'm choosing something that's valid since a lot of time Google's got like a million topics.
Just keep in mind--the topic is not as important as the thought that you put into your answer.

Many of the topics raised above are classics because they lend themselves to rational arguments on both sides. For these sorts of "show me how you think" questions I would probably stick with one of these "safe" answers rather than trying to be different and winding up falling flat on one side of your argument.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
That's a really broad topic. It could be narrowed to questions such as:

should the law prohibit minors from accessing abortion services without parental knowledge? with parental knowledge but not requiring parental permission?

In states that severely restrict access to abortion, does it make sense to do early prenatal testing?

Should OB-GYNs practicing in states that severely restrict access to abortion, move across the border to states that are less restrictive if it means that 1) patients will be able to access reproductive healthcare in a less restrictive environment vs. 2) patients will have to travel farther to see a provider for services that are legal in their home state?
I think that the OP should do his/her homework and come up with their own questions. It's OK to give them subjects.

I went with the ability of the government being able to restrict access to abortion for mine. Be ready for your interviewer to take the opposite viewpoint and rebuttal your points. I don't think they actually care about your opinion (unless you say some crazy stuff which is just darwinism at that point, don't be dumb), I think they are looking to see if you're able to think and discuss controversial things logically and calmly.

Thank you all for your answers. I think I’ll probably sit down and see what topics I can speak about well and confidently before deciding on one of the topics mentioned. But one more question regarding this: Can I discuss both sides of the argument then mention my personal opinion that probably isn’t completely on one side?

For example: for abortion, there’s pro life and pro choice, I’d discuss what each side thinks then say something along the lines of - “I’m muslim, I follow what Islam says regarding abortion and there are certain rules around the topic (will define them) but at the same time, my religion does not force its values upon others and I believe in patient autonomy, so if a person wants an abortion they should be able to get an abortion”

I went with the ability of the government being able to restrict access to abortion for mine. Be ready for your interviewer to take the opposite viewpoint and rebuttal your points. I don't think they actually care about your opinion (unless you say some crazy stuff which is just darwinism at that point, don't be dumb), I think they are looking to see if you're able to think and discuss controversial things logically and calmly.
One should be able to articulate arguments for both sides of the topic. This shows that you have thought things through, and more importantly, can see things from other people's perspectives.

Reactions: 2 users
How about healthcare for trans teenagers? Should the government be able to restrict access? Refugees/undocumented? Basically, what do you feel is the proper role of government when it comes to supporting the healthcare system?

Treating Trans Patients - HPSA

We also have a Healthcare Topics forum. Anyone want to start discussions there?