This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

questionsgalore

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the difference between a conversion disorder and dissociative disorder? All my Google research has said they're pretty much the same thing but one of the questions on the AAMC Practice Test 2 has a question about them with both conversion and dissociative disorders as separate answers.

Members don't see this ad.

Yea this is a tricky one. This is how I learned it (coming from someone starting med school next year). Conversion Disorder is when a mental illness manifests itself in some kind of physical capacity so to speak. So someone with major depression may experience total body numbness or paralysis even though there is no underlying physical issue (like nerve damage for example) that is causing their symptoms.

Dissociative Disorder is also caused solely by mental illness, but instead of manifesting itself in a physical symptom like paralysis discussed above, it will have a mental representation. So people "dissociate" from reality eg. have memory blackouts during high stress times or even form multiple personalities to escape mentally from their suffering. So in essence, Conversion Disorder has a "physical" manifestation and Dissociative Disorder has a "mental" manifestation.

I vaguely remember an MCAT practice question being like "A 40 year old man is going through a divorce and has had memory black outs. What disorder is he presenting with?" The answer of course being Dissociative Disorder since it was again a "mental" symptom. I hope this helps. Good luck OP!

Reactions: 1 user