converting current grades to GPA medical school will look at

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted421268

Do medical schools look at the college GPA?? Or do they have their own way of calculating it? Like say for instance I have a A+ in a 3 credit class, A in a 1 credit class, B in a 4 credit class, and C- in a 3 credit class. What would my GPA be that medical schools will look at??? Explain how the system works.

Members don't see this ad.

The same GPA that your school calculates it as?

If you Google "AMCAS Grade Calculation" the first link to a PDF from the AAMC tells you everything you need to know. Can't link it as I'm on mobile. But google is your friend.

Members don't see this ad :)
a+ and A count as 4.0. Multiply that by credit number to get number of quality points. A B is 3.0 and C- is 1.7. So for your scenario you would have (4.0*3) + (4.0*1) + (3.0*4) + (1.7*3). This equals 33.1, your number of quality points. Then you divide this number by total number of credits, which is 11. 33.1/11 is 3.009, rounded to 3.01.

Reactions: 1 user
I thought A + counted as 4.33 or does it count as 4.0 like an A???

The application services don't recognize A+ as a grade. Lots of schools don't do A+ so that's how they level the playing field.

My chemistry professor doesnt do a plus minus scale at all. I finished with a 88% which would count as a B+ on the AMCAS Scale but at my school they counted it as a B. Will it count as a B or B+ to medical schools?

My chemistry professor doesnt do a plus minus scale at all. I finished with a 88% which would count as a B+ on the AMCAS Scale but at my school they counted it as a B. Will it count as a B or B+ to medical schools?
I'm assuming there's no way AMCAS could verify that, so it would be a B, like on your transcript.

Reactions: 1 users
Okay. I am guessing that they don't show your percentage grade in the trascript than?
Ask your school registrar for an unofficial transcript. It should be free or very cheap. That way you know exactly what schools will see.

Do medical schools look at the college GPA?? Or do they have their own way of calculating it? Like say for instance I have a A+ in a 3 credit class, A in a 1 credit class, B in a 4 credit class, and C- in a 3 credit class. What would my GPA be that medical schools will look at??? Explain how the system works.
I doubt any school will bother to recalculate GPA before they consider giving out IIs. it's likely they all use AMCAS GPA. If you have A+ and if the screener/reviewer bothers to check not just the final GPA but also the list of the courses and the grades, they might see them and know that you have at some point went above and beyond. I do selfishly wish AMCAS distinguish A+ from A though. It isn't the same amount of work.

A | 4.00
A- | 3.70
B+ | 3.30
B | 3.00
B- | 2.70
C+ | 2.30
C | 2.00
C- | 1.70
F | 0.00

I'm not really sure about the rest, or even if there are more like for D+/D/D-. Basically you take your credits, multiply it by the grade score above and then divide by the credits. So let's say you got an A in a 3 credit class and a B+ in a 4 credit class, it would be: (3 credits * 4.00) + (4 credits * 3.30) / (3 credits + 4 credits) = 3.6. And you continue that for all your classes and you can have your cumulative GPA, Science GPA by only including BCPM courses and all other GPA by including everything that isn't BCPM.