Cook County Hospital/Rush- Any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SLUMD28

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Hope many of you will be able to celebrate NEw Years Eve outside of the hospital. I'm considering a possible position as a hospitalist position at Stroger Hosp/Cook County in Chicago. Coming from St Louis. If anyone currently works there or has spent time there (as med student) over the past few years can you give me some input regarding your experience there. I've got a wife and 6 y/o son who I'd like to situate in an apartment in a SUBURBAN community that I can commute from (via the L / car). Any advice ab specific neighborhoods this would be feasible from would be appreciated. My wife's going to school part time and I'm supporting her so we're being economical. IF you've got personal experience dealing w/ this commute and working there, would esp love to hear from you.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

Hope many of you will be able to celebrate NEw Years Eve outside of the hospital. I'm considering a possible position as a hospitalist position at Stroger Hosp/Cook County in Chicago. Coming from St Louis. If anyone currently works there or has spent time there (as med student) over the past few years can you give me some input regarding your experience there. I've got a wife and 6 y/o son who I'd like to situate in an apartment in a SUBURBAN community that I can commute from (via the L / car). Any advice ab specific neighborhoods this would be feasible from would be appreciated. My wife's going to school part time and I'm supporting her so we're being economical. IF you've got personal experience dealing w/ this commute and working there, would esp love to hear from you.

Thanks in advance!

Stroger sits between UIC & Rush and it has Blue Line (which I think runs all night) and Pink Line access. The taylor street area is great for eating (Little Italy). The area is situated on the cusp of good areas (east) and bad areas (west). At night (past midnight) the area may turn a bit more dangerous as there are often crime alerts that go out. Daytime is fine.

I don't know too many people that come out from the suburbs, but I'm sure you can do that. You might have to deal with AM commuters as you drive in from the west. If you decide to live more in the city, you can actually find pretty reasonably priced accommodations for your family in the "West Loop" area, which is about 2 miles from Stroger, and a nice neighborhood. Sure there won't be a yard and such, but there is a park nearby. There are also some decent neighborhoods in little italy/university village (walking distance from Stroger) that might be good for families. There is a park there too, and I always see congregations of strollers and mom's there. There is a real estate agent that deals specifically in that area (buying/renting) called C.Gallucci. I'd try giving them a call.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/gallucci-realty-chicago