Cook County (Stroger) Hospital, Chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ljl1982

ljl1982
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This has already been posted on auntminnie, but no one has replied yet (plus the posters on SDN tend to be more helpful/less paranoid).

Basically I'm looking for information about the radiology residency program at Cook County Hospital in Chicago (stability, teaching, volume and diversity of cases), from residents or students who have interviewed there.

Also, I couldn't find info about the Radiology Residency Program on cook county hospital's website or after searching google. I don't believe a website was listed on FREIDA or ERAS either, and would greatly appreciate it if someone could direct me to the program's website if there is one.

Members don't see this ad.

there's likely no info around because honestly, you really shouldn't even interview there. it's a sucky program with unrespected residents who aren't really good at what they do. there is one superstellar attending, however, but still not enough to even waste your time looking at the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree w/ above. Cook County is probably one of, if not the worst program in Chicago.

Agree w/ above. Cook County is probably one of, if not the worst program in Chicago.
Aside from the lack of a website, what evidence is there that this program is not worth pursuing? Also, for those of us who are LUCKY to get interviews, I would like to know how Cook stacks up against radiology programs nationwide. Does anyone have any evidence that speaks to the quality of this program?

Aside from the lack of a website, what evidence is there that this program is not worth pursuing? Also, for those of us who are LUCKY to get interviews, I would like to know how Cook stacks up against radiology programs nationwide. Does anyone have any evidence that speaks to the quality of this program?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=609723

Very detailed reviews of the Chicago programs

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=609723

Very detailed reviews of the Chicago programs
Great reviews there. Surprised to hear that about Loyola. I didn't expect them to be the private practice gem.

About Cook County. Know this. It's not glamorous, it's hard, and you will work a lot, and have tough cases and difficult patients to deal with. However, as that review made it clear, you will be well prepared from it.

EDIT: Sorry for the necro bump. Didn't realize it was that old.

With the current job market, and with all the better name brands in Chicago, it will be hard to break into the market after you finish if you come from this program. Unless you die hard for staying in Chicago, look for some top tier programs in less desirable location which may be even easier to match.