Program-Specific Info / Q's Cost a factor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Panthers12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much of a determination is tuition costs to everyone? Is it worth it to go to a program that you like more but costs 30k more?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on why you like it more. If the reason you like it more is an academic or career opportunity reason than go for it! When the right questions are asked and the right research is done you can find that some OT schools in certain areas have more access to certain career situations that come for their students in the students' fieldwork II, so knowing that may help you in the long run because you could possibly have an easier time getting into the exact kind of environment you would like to work in and that can be worth paying an extra 30k. Schools have variations on how they teach the art of being an OT so finding an academic situation that fits you is very important since you will be stuck in it for a couple years and paying an extra 30k to be in a situation to where you are most comfortable and successful academically can also be worth it. If you like it more because of outside personal reasons (such as location to family, the weather, city vs. rural area, the night life etc.) then just ask yourself if for you those things are worth the extra 30k, if they are, then go to that school, if not, then don't go to that school. It's your time and money so make the situation what you want it to be.

There are SO many factors that go into choosing a program, and cost is an important aspect but certainly not the only one. Try making a pros/cons list, and listing your priorities in order of what is most important to you in a school (location, time length, resources, fieldwork opportunities, research or clinical focus, NBCOT pass rate, the "vibe" you received upon visiting, and COST, etc.) Also be sure to consider not just differences in tuition, but housing/cost of living which can make a big difference, as well as any financial aid or scholarships available at different schools (though almost all OT schools offer very little free aid.)

This was something I struggled with between two programs as well, and personally after considering all the different variables chose the cheaper option. If I had only been accepted to the more expensive option, I definitely still would have attended and feel confident I could have made it work, just would be paying back loans for a very long time. Though the school is lesser known and not in my ideal location, I really like what I've learned about the program, have had great interactions with the professors and students there, and believe I will be successful there. The enormous cost difference (~100k vs 40k) solidified my decision.

Ultimately, chose the school that you feel you will be most successful at. If you go to a school that is cheaper but fail or drop out due to being miserable or struggling there, its going to be a lot more costly than succeeding in becoming an OT and paying back extra loans for the more expensive school. Good luck! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user