cost of abg?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheSweetness

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone really know if the cost of an abg is really $1500? I am told that you can only bill for six of these and that the reason that the cost is so high is b/c of all the information broken down into five different panels .....

Members don't see this ad.

According to my hospital's website, an ABG is $128.

FWIW, it lists Anesthesia gen/IV at $10.50/minute.*

*Physician fees for anesthesiologists as applicable are not included in these charges and will be billed separately by the anesthesiologist.

does anyone really know if the cost of an abg is really $1500? I am told that you can only bill for six of these and that the reason that the cost is so high is b/c of all the information broken down into five different panels .....

There's a difference between "cost" and "patient charge.

Members don't see this ad :)
According to my hospital's website, an ABG is $128.

Google finds a few price lists from various hospitals in Ohio. Looks like Ohio requires hospitals to put up their price lists, so those are the charge to the patient, though the patient's actual costs may be less depending on insurances. For ABGs, it ranges from 50 to 500$. I wonder if the difference in costs is due to POC testing vs core lab testing.