Cost of CO2 vs. O2 at ASC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

#ScopeMonkey

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious the cost difference between CO2 and O2? It seems private practice groups have been slow to transition to CO2 at their ASC despite the benefits.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Olympus insert is about $7-8k each per unit, and it's society guideline to use for patient safety and comfort, a pretty small ask for the standard of care, if getting push back on something this simple and economic, can't imagine trying to negotiate something truly high impact

Members don't see this ad :)
well, O2 insufflation doesn't seem safe for cautery.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Olympus insert is about $7-8k each per unit, and it's society guideline to use for patient safety and comfort, a pretty small ask for the standard of care, if getting push back on something this simple and economic, can't imagine trying to negotiate something truly high impact
what society says this is a standard of care? Do you have a reference?

Lee JH, Kedia P, Stavropoulos SN, Carr-Locke D. AGA Clinical Practice Update on Endoscopic Management of Perforations in Gastrointestinal Tract: Expert Review. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2021 Nov;19(11):2252-2261.e2. doi: 10.1016/j.cgh.2021.06.045. Epub 2021 Jul 2. PMID: 34224876.

BPA#3

Lee JH, Kedia P, Stavropoulos SN, Carr-Locke D. AGA Clinical Practice Update on Endoscopic Management of Perforations in Gastrointestinal Tract: Expert Review. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2021 Nov;19(11):2252-2261.e2. doi: 10.1016/j.cgh.2021.06.045. Epub 2021 Jul 2. PMID: 34224876.

BPA#3

You got ref slapped. Cold.

... Granted, it's not a guideline, and "Expert Review" on "Clinical Practice Update" but they did name a needle after one of the experts.

You got ref slapped. Cold.

... Granted, it's not a guideline, and "Expert Review" on "Clinical Practice Update" but they did name a needle after one of the experts.
Ref slapped??

Chill.

I wasn’t trying to negate the comment. Actually wanted to learn more about it.

I know one of the authors well. I’ll reach out.

Thanks for the reference.

BPA#3
Thanks. Read it. Not really any data on this. Expert opinion. And these guys do significant advanced endoscopy work. Our endo center uses air. Don’t think any ASC uses CO2 that I know of.

Reactions: 1 user