Could UCLA decisions on post-interview admissions be imminent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Long_John

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could UCLA decisions on post-interview admissions be imminent??
While UCLA does say on its website that the earliest date they will accept applicants is on the 15th of January, many people on this board (myself included) doubted that they could send out decisions that early. UCLA adcom is notorious for its laziness and the earliest they had sent out acceptances in previous years has been around the middle of February (a full month after their supposed mid-jan guideline).
But now, rejections are out for applicants post-secondary. If I remember corrrectly last year post-secondary rejections were first sent just days before acceptances were. If that pattern follows through, UCLA could be sending out acceptances by next Monday (the first workday after the 15th of Jan).
Good luck to all!

Members don't see this ad.

Long_John said:
While UCLA does say on its website that the earliest date they will accept applicants is on the 15th of January, many people on this board (myself included) doubted that they could send out decisions that early. UCLA adcom is notorious for its laziness and the earliest they had sent out acceptances in previous years has been around the middle of February (a full month after their supposed mid-jan guideline).
But now, rejections are out for applicants post-secondary. If I remember corrrectly last year post-secondary rejections were first sent just days before acceptances were. If that pattern follows through, UCLA could be sending out acceptances by next Monday (the first workday after the 15th of Jan).
Good luck to all!

I called and they said acceptances would be sent out sometime this month.

joyful said:
I called and they said acceptances would be sent out sometime this month.
when did you call? I was interviewed in mid-december (just before winter break). I'm wondering whether they will have made a decision on my application by them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Long_John said:
when did you call? I was interviewed in mid-december (just before winter break). I'm wondering whether they will have made a decision on my application by them.

I called several hours ago.. you should probably ask them about whether you'll get reviewed or not.

But Long_John, Monday's a holiday. So maybe it will be Tuesday!

UCLAstudent said:
But Long_John, Monday's a holiday. So maybe it will be Tuesday!
Yea, that's right. It's going to be on Tuesday. By the time it gets to me it will probably be Friday so it will either ruin or make my weekend.
i dont know why UCLA can't be like the other UC's and post on your status page or email you when the decision so you dont have to wait so long.

Long_John said:
Good luck to all!

Very analytical. ;)

Good luck people with UCLA decisions. You guys waited long enough.

you guys are lucky. last year i think they told us sometime in feb. i dont remember.

GOOD LUCK! ITS A GREAT PLACE!

Long_John said:
Good luck to all!
what's going on with these slackers! i thought these guys would finally get to business this week. If they are going to have sent out decisions before the end of january then they are running out of time. there is only a week and a day left in jan so they should be getting busy pretty soon.

Maybe they will send them out today. I was all excited that decisions would be sent out on Tuesday, but nope.

I called them earlier this week. I think maybe Tuesday. They told me that either at the end of this month or early Feb. :mad: I don't understand why we can't get a consistent answer out of them. At this point, I don't care anymore. I think it's a rejection for me anyways.

Dr. Chiquita said:
I called them earlier this week. I think maybe Tuesday. They told me that either at the end of this month or early Feb. :mad: I don't understand why we can't get a consistent answer out of them. At this point, I don't care anymore. I think it's a rejection for me anyways.
historically they never get things out before Feb. That's why this year I was a little shocked that their adcom was seemingly getting their act together so early. well, i guess we got some more waiting to do.

Dr. Chiquita said:

Darn it all!! Early February? And we know that "early February" will most likely be mid-February. :mad: I guess I can stop compulsively checking my status page.

Members don't see this ad :)
let us know if anyone get their letter status changed any time soon....i'm patiently waiting.... :scared:

bump. anyone call them this week.

Long_John said:
bump. anyone call them this week.

damn you long john, every time i see a post on this thread i get all excited, like someone's status has changed. mine, like everyone elses, has sadly not.

not to burst anyone's bubble, but even if the ucla status does change, it can mean either acceptance or waitlist (based on last year's info)

bb88 said:
not to burst anyone's bubble, but even if the ucla status does change, it can mean either acceptance or waitlist (based on last year's info)
or rejection.
i think all letters were sent at the same time last year.
to be honest, I would be happy to be placed on the waitlist at ucla (~50% of waitlisters get accepted eventually)

striped sweater said:
really? how do you know this?
from previous years' UCLA threads. but please note, the ~50% figure only applies to people put on the waitlist and not people put on the 'hold' list

Long_John said:
from previous years' UCLA threads. but please note, the ~50% figure only applies to people put on the waitlist and not people put on the 'hold' list

what is the difference?

striped sweater said:
what is the difference?
i'm not an expert on this but here's what I have been able to gather. Once you've been reviewed by the adcom, you are placed in one of 4 categories
accept = you're in the clear
1st priority waitlist = the real waitlist and you have a decent chance of
getting in
2nd priority waitlist (also caled 'hold')= basically a nicer way of giving you the
rejection. chances of getting in under 1%
rejection = they dont want anything to do with you.

Long_John said:
i'm not an expert on this but here's what I have been able to gather. Once you've been reviewed by the adcom, you are placed in one of 4 categories
accept = you're in the clear
1st priority waitlist = the real waitlist and you have a decent chance of
getting in
2nd priority waitlist (also caled 'hold')= basically a nicer way of giving you the
rejection. chances of getting in under 1%
rejection = they dont want anything to do with you.

so do you (or anyone?) know if you find out which level of waitlist you are on immediately (at the first decision letter)?

striped sweater said:
so do you (or anyone?) know if you find out which level of waitlist you are on immediately (at the first decision letter)?
it's in the letter you get

Holy crap, my letter was sent! Guys, I am trembling right now.

UCLAstudent said:

I just have a hunch that it's an acceptance for you. :thumbup:

Mine hasn't changed though. Do you mind telling me what time you checked your status page? Maybe they are still uploading the info. I'm hoping.

Dr. Chiquita said:
I just have a hunch that it's an acceptance for you. :thumbup:

I wish I had that hunch! :scared: I have no idea what to expect (I can justify an acceptance or "something bad" either way). I just hope the school knows how badly I want to go there.

I checked my status page roughly a half hour ago (and 10 minutes ago just to make sure, haha). It says 1/25/2005 by the "final decision letter sent" category, so I'll bet they are still updating people's status pages. Good luck!! :luck:

OMG, mine was sent today also. IM SO NERVOUS!

Good Luck UCLAstudent.

Good luck, ssm! I am so nervous! And I have Chem. 153L lab tonight. I won't be able to pipet! Hahaha.

Hey UCLAstudent, since you are on the campus, you would think that they will tell you the decision in person if you stop by the office instead of waiting around for the letter to come. ;)

Dr. Chiquita said:
Hey UCLAstudent, since you are on the campus, you would think that they will tell you the decision in person if you stop by the office instead of waiting around for the letter to come. ;)

I thought about that. And I thought about calling. But the admissions office knows me by voice and I am too chicken. :oops: I'll just have to gut it out! Good luck, Dr. Chiquita. Let us know if they update your status page. I'm sure you've started compulsively checking it. :laugh:

no worries. mail within westwood should give you your answer in like 1 day. good luck!

Thanks, bridge. It's being sent to my house, though (Riverside area), so I am thinking it might take two days.

ssm said:
OMG, mine was sent today also. IM SO NERVOUS!

Good Luck UCLAstudent.

Hi guys
I was wondering when you both interviewed?

Thanks, and good luck! :luck:

joyful said:
Hi guys
I was wondering when you both interviewed?

Thanks, and good luck! :luck:

ok i read on these boards that the ucla review process is 'random' (not in order of when you interviewed) so i dont know if it matters. correct? incorrect?

UCLAstudent said:
good luck uclastudent. we had similar interview experiences so i can most sympathize with what you went through. i hope you get in.
i still have yet to hear. my interview was in the middle of december.

Who else has the 'final decision letter sent' box filled up. How was your interview experience at UCLA? Let's see if we can predict whether this round of mailings is acceptances or rejections?
anyone have the balls to call the admissions office and ask them whether the letters sent out today were acceptances or rejections or a mix????

i also interviewed in december and had the same status change today. i thought both my interviews went really well :)

Annierlend said:
i also interviewed in december and had the same status change today. i thought both my interviews went really well :)

You guys are ridiculous..:) and I am allowed to say that since I am also checking the status page compulsively...but I was told by my interviewer that they really do review applications at random both pre and post interview and if you hear soon or it takes months (eek!) that it is NO indication whatsoever on the outcome of your application...fyi though, I interviewed almost 3 weeks ago and my final decision letter has yet to be sent...

Prag said:
You guys are ridiculous..:) and I am allowed to say that since I am also checking the status page compulsively...but I was told by my interviewer that they really do review applications at random both pre and post interview and if you hear soon or it takes months (eek!) that it is NO indication whatsoever on the outcome of your application...fyi though, I interviewed almost 3 weeks ago and my final decision letter has yet to be sent...

ok phew. haha that makes me feel so much better. (i'm also compulsively checking). i interviewed in early october and haven't heard a word...my interviewer told me that it takes a LONG TIME so don't worry..but i never figured it would be 4 months. :p