Couple questions about choosing and matching anesthesiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ahawke100

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I have a few questions about anesthesiology. It’s become a more interesting option for me, and while I won’t get to rotate in it until 4th year for an elective, I’m trying to figure out if it would be a good fit. My first question is more directed at residents and attendings or those with experience in the field:
Can someone who tends to process information before making a split decision do well in this field? I’m not an adrenaline junkie by any means, and I tend to be decent at acting on the fly when I have the knowledge to do so, but my strengths definitely show when I have a moment to process. I know making split decisions can be necessary from day to day in this field though, so I’d follow up with asking how well the training prepares someone to make those decisions? It is possible to enjoy and do well in this field by working hard through training, and is the necessary skill set something that’s fairly acquirable?

My second questions is about the possibility of matching into a program in California or some of the other desirable metropolitan locations as a DO with a step 1 between 255-260. Besides continuing to do well in classes and doing well on step 2, can I get in without research? Are auditions rotations necessary?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

So I have a few questions about anesthiology. It’s become a more interesting option for me, and while I won’t get to rotate in it until 4th year for an elective, I’m trying to figure out if it would be a good fit. My first question is more directed at residents and attending or those with experience in the field:
Can someone who tends to process information before making a split decision do well in this field? I’m not an adrenaline junkie by any means, and I tend to be decent at acting on the fly when I have the knowledge to do so, but my strengths definitely show when I have a moment to process. I know making split decisions can be necessary from day to day in this field though, so I’d follow up with asking how well the training prepares someone to make those decisions? It is possible to enjoy and do well in this field by working hard through training, and is the necessary skill set something that’s fairly acquirable?

My second questions is about the possibility of matching into a program in California or some of the other desirable metropolitan locations as a DO with a step 1 between 255-260. Besides continuing to do well in classes and doing well on step 2, can I get in without research? Are auditions rotations necessary?

Thanks!

99% of our decisions are not made instantly, but instead with time to consider the facts and possible treatments. The small number of times we just have to act instantly you learn through training. V-fib? Give 'em the shocker. PEA? Start those compressions. Sat dropping and can't ventilate? Stick a tube in their airway somehow and quickly. Those sort of things are pretty darn rare and you just learn by doing. The rest of pre, intra, and postop management you can mostly work your way through a differential over 5-15 minutes.

Hi everyone,

So I have a few questions about anesthiology. It’s become a more interesting option for me, and while I won’t get to rotate in it until 4th year for an elective, I’m trying to figure out if it would be a good fit. My first question is more directed at residents and attending or those with experience in the field:

Thanks!

add to @Mman said. Nothing really happens instantaneous. There were signs all along the way, part of our job is to recognize those signs. You better start to troubleshoot way ahead of time. We are to the detriment of our own success in a way, we’ve made anesthesia very very safe. Certainly, emergency happens, but can you take a few minutes to gather your thoughts. Sure you can.

Anesthesia has certain personality to it. I believe someone recent resurrect an old thread for new attendings. There were a lot of knowledge and experience in that. You should read it and really think about some traits that would make you a good anesthesiologist. Okay being playing second fiddle comes to mind. You often will be the person who’s most capable of dealing with crisis in the OR, but you will NEVER be the one that gets the “glory” at end of the day. It will just become another day. If you cannot accept that. This field may not be for you.

Lastly, if you step score is 250+, your chance of matching is probably pretty darn good, other than some academic powerhouse. As a DO, I don’t have any personal experience, you should apply broadly. There are other threads recently in this sub that will point you to the right programs and/or things that you should do to broaden your chances. In general, anesthesia is very “doing” heavy, you shouldn’t “need” any researches, unless you are only satisfied with top academic powerhouses.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
99% of our decisions are not made instantly, but instead with time to consider the facts and possible treatments. The small number of times we just have to act instantly you learn through training. V-fib? Give 'em the shocker. PEA? Start those compressions. Sat dropping and can't ventilate? Stick a tube in their airway somehow and quickly. Those sort of things are pretty darn rare and you just learn by doing. The rest of pre, intra, and postop management you can mostly work your way through a differential over 5-15 minutes.

This makes sense! Thanks for this input.

add to @Mman said. Nothing really happens instantaneous. There were signs all along the way, part of our job is to recognize those signs. You better start to troubleshoot way ahead of time. We are to the detriment of our own success in a way, we’ve made anesthesia very very safe. Certainly, emergency happens, but can you take a few minutes to gather your thoughts. Sure you can.

Anesthesia has certain personality to it. I believe someone recent resurrect an old thread for new attendings. There were a lot of knowledge and experience in that. You should read it and really think about some traits that would make you a good anesthesiologist. Okay being playing second fiddle comes to mind. You often will be the person who’s most capable of dealing with crisis in the OR, but you will NEVER be the one that gets the “glory” at end of the day. It will just become another day. If you cannot accept that. This field may not be for you.

Lastly, if you step score is 250+, your chance of matching is probably pretty darn good, other than some academic powerhouse. As a DO, I don’t have any personal experience, you should apply broadly. There are other threads recently in this sub that will point you to the right programs and/or things that you should do to broaden your chances. In general, anesthesia is very “doing” heavy, you shouldn’t “need” any researches, unless you are only satisfied with top academic powerhouses.

Good luck.

Thank you for this as well! Some more good info. I’d actually be thrilled to play second fiddle haha.

First, you gotta learn how to spell ANESTHESIOLOGY!
Do you not have spellcheck or autocorrect?

That would be a good start, wouldn’t it? What I get for posting on my phone.