Course load question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fighter127

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do med schools really look heavily into your course load? For example would someone be better off taking 12-14 units and getting a 4.0 or taking 16-18 units but getting a much lower gpa due to the excess workload?

I also saw this in an article and wanted to know how true this is:
"As a medical school faculty member who sits on the admissions committee, I can say that grades alone are not enough, it depends on how you got those grades. Someone who spreads all their difficult courses out is not as impressive as one who takes a couple of semesters with several very tough courses. And don't tell me on your application that you've wanted to be a doctor since you were 5, but never got around to taking upper-level biomedical science courses. It's OK to major in the humanities, but you can still take a lot of biomedical-related material. And don't take organic chemistry from a community college. I know cost is an issue, but very few community colleges have high standards, and your "A" from County Technical College does not look nearly as impressive as an "A" from a four-year university."

Members don't see this ad.

Eh I don't think they analyze it as much as you think.

One reason being it can be hard to tell what is a "tough" courseload when people are taking all kinds of weird classes from all types of schools.

Also credits often have very little (perhaps negative) correlation with workload. In many schools, science/engineering courses have less credits than humanities courses yet are more difficult and time-consuming.

As long as you are full-time you are fine, don't overthink this. The key is to know your limits. If you can maintain good grades taking 12-14 units, do it. If taking over 14 units would make your grades suffer then don't do it. It's that simple.