Course regression for MCAT black mark on transcript?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prometheus123

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering taking Spanish 101-103 this quarter. This would be course regression because I've taken upper level Spanish courses recently, up to the Spanish 303. My adviser says that's generally not a good idea, but do you think it's likely to actually make a difference in terms of whether I get into medicals schools or not?

Why do I want to do this? It's part of my MCAT prep strategy.
  1. Taking courses in general will help support me financially so I can work less and study more.
  2. It will also enable me delay paying back student loans for 6 months after I graduate.
  3. Taking low-level intro Spanish courses specifically will give me more time to study for the MCAT because I won't have to study outside of class for the classes, I'll just have to show up and do the homework. I could take upper-level courses, but I'm worried that that would be too much of a distraction from the MCAT.
For context, I did my first 2 years of college several years ago and got a GPA of 2.32. I dropped out in 2011, lived in India and Dubai for 2 years and tried a few careers. I became convinced I had to pursue medicine and transferred to a different college in 2015 to do my pre-reqs and finish my undergraduate degree.

By the time I apply in summer 2017, I'll have a cumulative GPA of 3.2. My GPA will be on the low end of applicants, but I'll have a strong trend of improvement in my favor.

So do you think this course regression is a reasonably small risk to take, or given my rocky history is it important that I find another way?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry if I missed this, but why are you retaking lower level Spanish classes at all?

As opposed to taking science classes or not taking classes at all (to study full time for the MCAT)?

Sorry if I missed this, but why are you retaking lower level Spanish classes at all?

As opposed to taking science classes or not taking classes at all (to study full time for the MCAT)?

Because I won't have to spend any time at all outside of class learning the material. I can instead put that time towards MCAT prep. If I take upper level or science courses, I would have to spend a significant amount of time studying for those classes, which would be a distraction from the MCAT and an unnecessary time-sink.

I'm planning on taking next quarter off (January-March) to focus on the MCAT exclusively. If I take this quarter (October-December) off too, I'll have to starting paying back my student loans the day I graduate. By only taking January-March off and still taking classes this quarter, I'll get a 6 month grace period after I graduate before I have to start paying them back.

Sorry, it's difficult for me to explain.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm planning on taking next quarter off (January-March) to focus on the MCAT exclusively. If I take this quarter (October-December) off too, I'll have to starting paying back my student loans the day I graduate.

Ahh, gotcha, you're taking a class so you can continue to defer your loan repayments. That was the part I was missing.

I'm not sure how it would be received, but I'm not certain it's a black mark against you. If your upper-level course weren't taken so recently, maybe your lower classes could pass off as "brushing up on the basics". Are there any 100 level biology or chemistry classes you could take? That way it's not TOO intense of a class and can also help you prepare for the MCAT?

I'm considering taking Spanish 101-103 this quarter. This would be course regression because I've taken upper level Spanish courses recently, up to the Spanish 303. My adviser says that's generally not a good idea, but do you think it's likely to actually make a difference in terms of whether I get into medicals schools or not?

Why do I want to do this? It's part of my MCAT prep strategy.
  1. Taking courses in general will help support me financially so I can work less and study more.
  2. It will also enable me delay paying back student loans for 6 months after I graduate.
  3. Taking low-level intro Spanish courses specifically will give me more time to study for the MCAT because I won't have to study outside of class for the classes, I'll just have to show up and do the homework. I could take upper-level courses, but I'm worried that that would be too much of a distraction from the MCAT.
For context, I did my first 2 years of college several years ago and got a GPA of 2.32. I dropped out in 2011, lived in India and Dubai for 2 years and tried a few careers. I became convinced I had to pursue medicine and transferred to a different college in 2015 to do my pre-reqs and finish my undergraduate degree.

By the time I apply in summer 2017, I'll have a cumulative GPA of 3.2. My GPA will be on the low end of applicants, but I'll have a strong trend of improvement in my favor.

So do you think this course regression is a reasonably small risk to take, or given my rocky history is it important that I find another way?

If you're (1) taking classes so that you qualify for aid/loans and (2) need a class that's easy, why not take some easy 100 level class pass/fail? Unless your prior Spanish classes are 5+ years old, it might look like grade padding.

I don't think any admission person will scrutinize your application this deeply. It's a foreign language, not like you're taking a whole bunch of freshmen bio classes. If they do ask, explain it later when your nice MCAT gets you an interview. I would take it if it helps you financially. It's a smart decision if the class is free.