Courses in Prep for MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greenlocus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking Gen Bio, Gen Chem, and Physics over the Fall and Spring Term this year and then taking Organic I and II over the Summer so I can test Fall 2010.

The question: Would taking an Anatomy and Physiology class over the Fall and Spring be very beneficial to my MCAT prep or just moderately helpful?

I don't mind taking Anatomy and Physiology but would only be taking the course in hopes of it significantly helping me on the MCAT since it is not a prereq for Medical School admissions. Otherwise, I am going to take Trig and Calc Fall and Spring since some schools do require Calc.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would take physiology and not anatomy. Im confused as to how your university can allow you to take physiology without bio in the first place though, because at my school you have to take gen bio 1 and 2 before taking any other bio class...but maybe your school is different. Physiology was the one class that I wished I had taken before the MCAT. You will see why once you start looking at the MCAT topics list.

I wouldn't take anatomy because it isn't very useful for the MCAT and if you take it, it is one more science class you have to worry about. You will already be taking 3 of the pre-reqs at a time, so any more science classes will be too much.

Well, the courses aren't separated; it is a "Human Anatomy and Physiology" course - I took a Intro Bio survey course few years back but that is only Bio experience so far.

Here is the course description:

"A course primarily designed for students in nursing, allied health, and those interested in biological sciences. Cell structure and physiology tissues, integumentary system, skeletal system, muscular system, and nervous system are studied."

in my experience, taking a physiology class was very helpful. i took a TPR prep course and the last 3 chapters in the bio review book were a breeze because i had taken the class the same semester that i took the test. you'll learn way more about cardio, resp, renal, etc in your class and won't have to study for that portion of the test because it should be fresh on your mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, the courses aren't separated; it is a "Human Anatomy and Physiology" course - I took a Intro Bio survey course few years back but that is only Bio experience so far.

Here is the course description:

"A course primarily designed for students in nursing, allied health, and those interested in biological sciences. Cell structure and physiology tissues, integumentary system, skeletal system, muscular system, and nervous system are studied."

look for systems physiology...it is offered at most universities and yes I agree with every one here, physiology is the one class other than the prerequisites which can help you on the MCAT. I regret not taking it before the MCAT.

Whats the rush??? Enjoy being in undergrad...if i could i would go back and be a more balanced "human" and not slam myself with a schedule that demands a million hours of study time and enjoy life a little more. Balance Balance Balance....3 science classes is plenty...especially since they are MCAT prereq specific....Dont forget to live a little :cool:

Some people are saying "Take Physiology & Microbiology"

others are saying "Take Genetics and Cell Biology"

others are saying "Just take Biochem"

I can only take 3 in the Spring...

can someone tell me which courses REALLY prepare you for the MCAT?

Some people are saying "Take Physiology & Microbiology"

others are saying "Take Genetics and Cell Biology"

others are saying "Just take Biochem"

I can only take 3 in the Spring...

can someone tell me which courses REALLY prepare you for the MCAT?

I've taken all those courses and have taken the MCAT, and I'll list in order which is most helpful to least helpful IMO.

Human physiology
Human/animal Cell biology
Genetics
Biochemitry

How did I rank these? This isn't in order of what's likely to appear on the MCAT. Some people will say "I got a lot of genetics on my MCAT" and insist that genetics should be taken. To be honest, you don't know which topics are going to appear on the ACTUAL TEST.

So I ordered these courses according to how much they were covered in my MCAT prep books. Human physiology covered a lot of what is required to know: (endocrine, neuro, renal, even cell bio). I think animal cell bio comes in second.

But none of these courses REALLY prepare you for the MCAT. If you finished your prereqs, I think the best use of your time is to take the minimum amount of credit hours with easy classes and study on your own with an MCAT book & practice exams.

Biochem isn't really that useful for the MCAT. You just need a good background in organic.
My take on anatomy/physiology: The course will probably help, but it will also probably go into much more detail than the MCAT will. You can learn all the anat and phys that will be on the MCAT through self study pretty easily.