COVID-19 and impact on school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah we kept running into problems when they were trying to teach us clin path virtually. "Ok it's x amount of fields times some arbitrary number"... "ok what's a high power field on this app?" ... "uh, do your best"
Yeah, our current system can put a square around a standard 40x field of view which is okay for leukocyte estimates but for platelets you have to like count them (which are already tiny at 40, I’d normally do a plt count at 100), then do math for whatever factor a 40x field compares to a 100x one, then multiply again by 15-20k or whatever you use. It’s a hassle.

We ran into a similar issue with the student scopes where I did my residency. We teach them to estimate platelets on 100 but when they actually practice with real slides the scopes only have a 60 dry as the highest so you gotta to use a different multiplier to be correct...but we just told them to ‘practice’ using the normal 100x math even though it wouldn’t be right for that actual sample.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, our current system can put a square around a standard 40x field of view which is okay for leukocyte estimates but for platelets you have to like count them (which are already tiny at 40, I’d normally do a plt count at 100), then do math for whatever factor a 40x field compares to a 100x one, then multiply again by 15-20k or whatever you use. It’s a hassle.

We ran into a similar issue with the student scopes where I did my residency. We teach them to estimate platelets on 100 but when they actually practice with real slides the scopes only have a 60 dry as the highest so you gotta to use a different multiplier to be correct...but we just told them to ‘practice’ using the normal 100x math even though it wouldn’t be right for that actual sample.
Math ruins everything (I say as a math major :laugh: )

Anatomics get them 100% digitally and cytology is moving that way but technology isn’t quite there yet for the variability of cytology samples, imo. It works for many cases but not all. At least not to where it can be instituted on a mass level yet. The beautiful perfectly clear scans at 100x take hours so we’re finding the middle ground between resolution to feel as confident as we would on glass and scan time. There are people who read digital cytology. But not every sample is amenable (dense, too many slides, need results too fast, too complex of a tissue) so for the foreseeable future there will be a need for glass reading. I’m in a really busy location with an abundance of cases needing read on glass so that’s what they assign me. Plus all four digital scanners in my lab were down this week so we’ve been drowning in glass cases with looming turnaround times.

But in a year or two I hope we’ve got the digital cyto kinks worked out and I can work from home permanently and be able to move back to my home state.

Makes sense!

Members don't see this ad :)
First and second years here are no longer having any in person labs this semester.
I feel so bad for them. The videos we got during anatomy to help prep for dissection were... not great. I really hope they take the time to rerecord but I'm not holding my breath since they are just giving us bits and pieces of your old lectures rather than actually take the time to record new prep

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
I feel so bad for them. The videos we got during anatomy to help prep for dissection were... not great. I really hope they take the time to rerecord but I'm not holding my breath since they are just giving us bits and pieces of your old lectures rather than actually take the time to record new prep

I'm mostly feeling bad for anyone who moved out here thinking they would have to attend some in person labs and ultimately could have stayed at home for now.

Also, clearly not that important, but they're missing out all the free food at club intro meetings and that was a magical time. :(

On the bright side, at least they'll probably get a normal clinical experience.

We all should have just gone to vet school a couple years earlier clearly :p

Reactions: 6 users
Dude, I think about the fact I was originally supposed to graduate in May a lot right now. :laugh:
I think very often about the fact that if I had figured out life plans prior to senior year of college, I could have also been graduating this May. Maybe even last year if I had applied junior year

It was just announced that we will be starting the spring semester 2 weeks later on January 25th and will not be having a spring break so basically this is going to be the longest winter break ever since they made it so we finish finals before Thanksgiving

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
It was just announced that we will be starting the spring semester 2 weeks later on January 25th and will not be having a spring break so basically this is going to be the longest winter break ever since they made it so we finish finals before Thanksgiving

Basically same. Our school is giving us the option of doing external clinical rotations for credit over winter break if we can find them though.

Yup. We were supposed to go back January 6th after winter break, but that's been shifted to January 19th now. Little bit nervous because it was originally the 6th so that our semester was moved forward and we could have a 1 week break between 3rd year finals and the start of clinics. Wondering if they're going to make us go to clinics right after finals now :dead:

mfw
72895518.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yup. We were supposed to go back January 6th after winter break, but that's been shifted to January 19th now. Little bit nervous because it was originally the 6th so that our semester was moved forward and we could have a 1 week break between 3rd year finals and the start of clinics. Wondering if they're going to make us go to clinics right after finals now :dead:
Our school has yet to suggest anything like that and I hope we get to keep our current spring break because hubs and I have tentative plans and I could really use that break before ya know clinics:dead:
Feeling for you both @Amanasoul & @Barkley13

Reactions: 2 users
mfw
72895518.jpg

We got informed, like, today and I'm :help:

Our school has yet to suggest anything like that and I hope we get to keep our current spring break because hubs and I have tentative plans and I could really use that break before ya know clinics:dead:

They took away our spring break already so I'm very sad about that but what can ya do. That's why I need the one week break between 3rd year and clinics.

When it's 12hours after your scheduled lecture time and there's still no lecture posted...:hilarious:
update:was promised recording by eod, got email no longer getting recording by eod #reasons why I have no trust:rofl:

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Okay...
Reactions: 4 users
We've been testing 2x/week. Data is showing the undergrads are 95%+ of new cases (shocker). So now graduate/professional students are only required to test 1x per week except for 4th years (and I imagine clinical year med students). We still have to do 2x/week.

Unfortunately, it sounds like we wont have 1st years on rotations with us and that they will be doing only the core rotations required in 1st and 2nd year rotations. :/ I'm hoping we get the 2nd years in January.

I haven't been on in a while and haven't gone to far back in the thread but what are everyones 1st/2nd year experiences right now? WesternU is completely online and I feel like we are one of the few schools in this situation.

I haven't been on in a while and haven't gone to far back in the thread but what are everyones 1st/2nd year experiences right now? WesternU is completely online and I feel like we are one of the few schools in this situation.

I know that Michigan State University is also completely online.
UW-Madison is hybrid and is currently under a campus wide online switch for two weeks to reduce cases, but the vet school got an exemption after a day so we are in hybrid mode again.

They announced the same thing here. No spring break, starting the 24th. We are still hybrid here. One month down and studying a lot!

I’m a second year at Ross and we’re completely online, I definitely feel your pain.

CSU is hybrid until thanksgiving, then online. May be online for the first 2 weeks of spring before hybrid again, but not sure.

I work with an SGU third year, she is entirely online.

I'm a first year at WSU and we're hybrid until Thanksgiving, and then online for the rest of the semester. Have no idea about spring semester yet.

Anyone currently at Ross that has any idea what they will do for the spring semester? The advisors keep saying the will know in the next few weeks but they have been saying that for at least a month. I will be starting first semester and not knowing is making me so anxious

Anyone currently at Ross that has any idea what they will do for the spring semester? The advisors keep saying the will know in the next few weeks but they have been saying that for at least a month. I will be starting first semester and not knowing is making me so anxious
No idea honestly, a lot of it is very dependent on the government. The island hasn’t had any active cases the last three months or so, so they’re being very cautious. Borders are potentially opening up next month (but there hasn’t been updates recently) but will have to do Covid testing (PCR) and 2 week quarantine. But who knows if they will stay open if cases do start occurring again... Worst case scenario, if borders are closed, is there may only be select semesters flown back in via charter like this semester (that’s just my thought). We have a town hall later this week so hoping to learn more, I’m currently off island.

I’m sorry, I know it’s a very stressful situation :(

No idea honestly, a lot of it is very dependent on the government. The island hasn’t had any active cases the last three months or so, so they’re being very cautious. Borders are potentially opening up next month (but there hasn’t been updates recently) but will have to do Covid testing (PCR) and 2 week quarantine. But who knows if they will stay open if cases do start occurring again... Worst case scenario, if borders are closed, is there may only be select semesters flown back in via charter like this semester (that’s just my thought). We have a town hall later this week so hoping to learn more, I’m currently off island.

I’m sorry, I know it’s a very stressful situation :(
That seems like more info then I have gotten so I appreciate it! I was talking to a few Ross alumni and we were all wondering if they end up allowing everyone on the island in January if they would have to stagger the start times like they did this semester. Hopefully, we will find out more soon!

Add WSU to the list to start from winter break late and take away spring break. There are some whisperings though that the CVM won't be following that and staying more traditional so hoping that's the case.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
I was looking back at this thread and saw this.
My school actually RAISED tuition this year, to the tune of about $1,100 per semester. :lame:
Same. My school raised it by the usual amount of like $1,600 or so per year but gave us all grants of $1,000 to partially offset it. That honestly made me even more upset.

Down here in Texas, our spring break got reduced to one day.

• Sad
We are still waiting at LSU to hear... we may not on know our spring semester until after thanksgiving

This month is when UMN is figuring out our spring schedule. At least we've gotten confirmation that the CVM can make its decision independent of the larger university

Vet Prep & first semester at Ross entirely online in the spring. Still waiting to hear about everyone else (two classes have already been flown back though). My class will definitely be heading back in spring because we’re almost done on island and have to do our OSCE, aseptic exam, surgery labs, etc., but it sounds like only labs will be in person. Lectures almost certainly online because not able to socially distance on campus as would be required by the government. We don’t have a spring break, so no changes there.

They sent out a survey recently because the vet school is thinking of starting a week earlier than main campus and having two 4 day weekends for a little bit of a break instead of having no breaks the whole semester like main campus so crossing my fingers for that :xf:

Also our simulated client interaction things this semester are over zoom and the lady asked me if I had a kid because she could hear noise in the background and I had to explain to her that my dogs were just snoring really loud lol :smack::laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
They sent out a survey recently because the vet school is thinking of starting a week earlier than main campus and having two 4 day weekends for a little bit of a break instead of having no breaks the whole semester like main campus so crossing my fingers for that :xf:

Also our simulated client interaction things this semester are over zoom and the lady asked me if I had a kid because she could hear noise in the background and I had to explain to her that my dogs were just snoring really loud lol :smack::laugh:
Your school's solution sounds great. I hope ours follows suit

Have no idea about spring semester yet.
Your school's solution sounds great. I hope ours follows suit

We met with some USU SVM admin last Friday and they are pushing to replace spring break with long weekends to dissuade travel. There seemed to be some consensus between them and WSU, but nothing has been confirmed as they just submitted the proposed schedule to WSU.

They asked for feedback and my OOS classmates were understandably upset as most of them left family at home. There was some talk that the SVM may have spring break if we can keep COVID numbers low regardless of what USU as a whole does.

Then again, we're still surviving with in-person class and labs (for now) and the COVID situation seems different at WSU.

We met with some USU SVM admin last Friday and they are pushing to replace spring break with long weekends to dissuade travel. There seemed to be some consensus between them and WSU, but nothing has been confirmed as they just submitted the proposed schedule to WSU.

They asked for feedback and my OOS classmates were understandably upset as most of them left family at home. There was some talk that the SVM may have spring break if we can keep COVID numbers low regardless of what USU as a whole does.

Then again, we're still surviving with in-person class and labs (for now) and the COVID situation seems different at WSU.
I've heard talk about WSU overall wanting to cancel spring break and start spring semester classes 2 weeks late, however my professors have expressed that this wouldn't really work for our program, we wouldn't have enough time to complete the material. So we'll see. :shrug:

Yeah as far as WSU it sounds like we will be online again in spring (official announcement Thursday supposedly). The problem with COVID at WSU from what I know is the frats&sororities so salty it's affecting us. Especially because if we are online what's the point of cancelling spring break?

Man, being all online except a handful of labs is taking so much more of a toll than last semester. I am exhausted allll the time. I wish we were pass/fail during this format, because the pressure of grades is really not helping....

UW SVM announced pushing back the start of next semester by a week so I guess on the bright side, we now have a three week holiday break but we don't have a spring break. They said they would try to schedule exams and synchronous times so that we have a few three days weekends throughout the semester so I'm glad they are putting that into consideration.

The cvm at wsu got approved for a normal semester with spring break and inc to 31 people in class lectures for spring!
Edit: apparently the inc in lecture size is still waiting approval and we don't actually have an official word yet, my bad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Update: they finally told us what’s happening with classes after thanksgiving.
Classes are all online, exams are online, TBD on what’s happening with our labs and if they’re going to be pushed to after christmas or not. I’m hoping so since that’s the only reason I’d have to come back after thanksgiving.

Update: they finally told us what’s happening with classes after thanksgiving.
Classes are all online, exams are online, TBD on what’s happening with our labs and if they’re going to be pushed to after christmas or not. I’m hoping so since that’s the only reason I’d have to come back after thanksgiving.
Oh wow, I can't imagine still not knowing for sure what the end of the semester will look like! They decided over the summer for us that rather than debating how to handle things after Thanksgiving break, our finals will be up to the day before Thanksgiving and we'll just finish then. We'll get a somewhat extended winter break, but we started back early in August so we really didn't lose any time.