covid-19 vaccine raise demand for retail pharmacists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmstresseD

Reaction score
Do you guys think covid-19 vaccines will raise demand for retail pharmacists?

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
More appropriately Covid-19 vaccine will raise stress level for retail pharmacist..!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Higher the workload = higher the job security..

This is the fact of life. Increased foot traffic inside the store means more sells which in tern means more $$$

Unfortunately it won’t raise the demand for pharmacists - it will only raise the demand for a pharmacist service.. Get what I’m saying?

Reactions: 2 users
Not to worry, those desperate new grads with $200k+ in loans will just work an extra 30 hrs/week on salary with 0 additional pay.

Given the high potential for user error (thawing, storage, understaffing/callouts so more likely a mistake or oversight happens, etc.) would you even want to get this vaccine from a chain?

Realistically chain pharmacies will be buying the Sanofi subnit candidate due to less onerous storage requirements... if they care about minimizing potential for ****ups

Extremely unlikely. I suppose if a huge number of people are left with lingering health conditions after the virus, then it will probably give some job security, and *maybe* a few extra shifts at a store/month. But that is about it.

Does anyone personally know any pharmacists that contracted COVID-19 in the line of work?

I've worked at places where everyone based out of that store had to quarantine

Looks like cvs started hiring for Covid vaccination push. A lot of new postings as of today. I guess we are supposed to believe 90-95% efficacy number. Put me down as a skeptic.

Looks like cvs started hiring for Covid vaccination push. A lot of new postings as of today. I guess we are supposed to believe 90-95% efficacy number. Put me down as a skeptic.
i was just about to post about this lol. I saw at least 7 postings in a 100-mile radius for "Staff Pharmacist Floater PT-COVID19 Vaccine Support for Facilities"

Members don't see this ad :)
I am telling you. They just got rid of flu shot DFH people and now doing this again. Kids, don't go to pharmacy school, you will be glorified water boys. I mean we have residency trained pharmacists doing this stuff.

I must say, I don't know any pharmacists (or technicians) who have caught COVID. There have been some who had to test after contact with a positive person outside of work, but they tested negative.

**Edit, as of 11/25, this is no longer true.

Last edited:

This applies to pharmacy as well. That is why I think demand for retail pharmacists should in increase.

Reactions: 1 user
Corporate solution is asking everyone if he/she can work over-time...><

I've got to agree with above video getting frustrated with COVID-IOTS not taking this seriously...having to go up to multiple people each day to tell him/her they need to be wearing a mask to be in the store (have people taking COVID tests walk into store and not drive through regularly). I mean, come on people, this has been the new NORM since March...it's like if someone just strolled out of bed into a store without wearing pants!

Last edited:
They will use pharmacy students. That's around 15k of P4s and could be more if they dip into lower classes.

I'd hate to take this job only to get laid off when the shortages hit.

The Trump administration approved it. No legislation required.
If your state law is more strict than federal you still have to follow state law. So this doesn't really do anything if your state board doesn't allow for technicians to immunize, right?

If your state law is more strict than federal you still have to follow state law. So this doesn't really do anything if your state board doesn't allow for technicians to immunize, right?
In this case the PREP act preempts state law is my understanding.

Last edited:
I heard CVS is hiring for the very purpose. For short term, it may help some pharmacists find work. After that, the worst possible hunger game you can imagine.

Recognize that you have no leverage in this situation to demand a raise. It doesn't matter what you think you are owed. The only thing that matters is how essential you are and how badly they need you. As a pharmacist in 2020, you are technically essential, but they do not need you at all.

If technicians fill the demand gap created by this new vaccine, no, additional retail pharmacists will not be needed.
This is the question that I had. If this is an annual vaccine, shouldn't job demand increase slightly long term? With so much happening at the retail level now (testing, immunizations, filling, consulting) wouldn't there be a little more demand for pharmacists too since every company is going to need a fall guy/gal if things go wrong? Technicians immunizing will be the norm, but there not gonna get paid to the point where they take on liability. No one is going after the HS grad who was taught how to do the immunization in the store's break room. I don't know... you guys know better than me

I've been contacted by 6 different staffing agencies now and by CVS directly. They have an ambitious timeline. Hoping to start vaccinations starting 12/14 with ~8 members per team going out to facilities (mix of techs and pharmacists). Contract is until March with possible extension. I do think it will be a temp surge until next summer, but after that, people going to be scrambling for new jobs.

PNW area offers:
CVS directly - $50, this is stupid considering they're asking you to drive up to 75 miles, I saw an email saying they have hazard pay, but if $50 is with hazard pay already. Not worth it.
Agency rate 1: $57, the recruiter said he can put whatever rate I want to ask for but they've been denying the higher rates.
Agency rate 2: $65

didnt want to start a new post so im posting here. has anyone seen this or had any experience with this company (snapnurse)? 180/hour 48 hour guaranteed is ridiculous. im assuming mostly for hospital/ltc work which i have no experience in unfortunately.

didnt want to start a new post so im posting here. has anyone seen this or had any experience with this company (snapnurse)? 180/hour 48 hour guaranteed is ridiculous. im assuming mostly for hospital/ltc work which i have no experience in unfortunately.

No idea, but I applied.

Snapnurse sounds like a staffing agency

Imagine what kinds of places would be desperate enough to use an agency to place pharmacists

Yes and no. Companies are not obligated to adjust their protocols in response to temporary laws. Has CVS or Walgreens changed their protocols anywhere?

Snapnurse sounds like a staffing agency

Imagine what kinds of places would be desperate enough to use an agency to place pharmacists
Got an offer for 6 month contract job at $180/hr from them a couple of weeks ago lol I just applied thinking I could ask maybe I can travel during the weekends only. They said they'll get back to me on it. The site they mentioned was in Missouri.

Well that was short lived for pharmacist demand. lol

Eh. It is students. I bet not many places are hiring and that training is not a big deal.

But if you ask if I could want my Covid shot at cvs or dental office, I would say dentist. At least they have a room with a door probably.

Well that was short lived for pharmacist demand. lol

this would be such a win for dental benefits if immunization reimbursement was covered

I'd rather get a shot from a dentist than a pharmacist or pharmacy tech TBH

Also aside from those butchers' offices catering to Medicaid recipients, a dental office is a bit more civilized than your typical retail pharmacy

Saw communication from corporate(CVS) that they will pay 20% extra('Hero Pay' to be exact words) or up to $4/hour max for tech/intern/pharmacist signing up to administer covid vaccine in senior living facilities. Of course there were fine prints as to there is no guarantee if you sign up, you will be assigned and they can change the terms anytime.

Saw communication from corporate(CVS) that they will pay 20% extra('Hero Pay' to be exact words) or up to $4/hour max for tech/intern/pharmacist signing up to administer covid vaccine in senior living facilities. Of course there were fine prints as to there is no guarantee if you sign up, you will be assigned and they can change the terms anytime.
20% sounded great until I read the fine print. ouch

Got an offer for 6 month contract job at $180/hr from them a couple of weeks ago lol I just applied thinking I could ask maybe I can travel during the weekends only. They said they'll get back to me on it. The site they mentioned was in Missouri.
SnapNurse temp? Did you read the reviews? Lol. If it sounds too good to be true.........

Does anyone personally know any pharmacists that contracted COVID-19 in the line of work?
No, but two techs at my store have tested positive within the last month. We also had to deep clean our store yesterday after a COVID positive customer walked in asking for a test.
I'm a tech and have been working for a few months. I'm sadly sure I'll get it at some point.

I already have a hard enough time hiring anyone for my "cesspool" location (customers' words, not mine)

Even out of work people are probably thinking F this I'm waiting until spring.