Covid sedation thought

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gasdoc77

A mere instrument: nothing less, nothing more.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm old hat and (once upon a time) covered small community ICU's in a day before it required a fellowship.

We know Covid patients do abysmally after intubation.

Curious if anyone is aware of literature to suggest that the choice of sedation may be associated with outcome(s). We are aware of frank Propofol infusion syndrome, but is it possible that subclinical mitochondrial dysfunction related to the soybean oil lipid emulsion could be contributing to the negative outcomes

Conversely, some anecdotes suggest an autonomic component to Covid. If that proves correct, would precedex better modulate the ANS and be associated with better prognosis. All of this is hypothetical.

Obviously correlation doesn't equal causation.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you meant "we all know that patients who have severe enough COVID ARDS to necessitate intubation and ventilation do abysmally"

And no

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The only thing about sedation that probably affects mortality is not overdoing it. The probability that choice of agent affects mortality in any condition approaches zero.

Reactions: 2 users
Intriguing podcast called "Walking Home From The ICU" that may make you question our approach to sedation in the ICU.

Intriguing podcast called "Walking Home From The ICU" that may make you question our approach to sedation in the ICU.
I don't listen to podcasts, but one from ACNP-BC probably wouldn't be high on my list.

I don't listen to podcasts, but one from ACNP-BC probably wouldn't be high on my list.
I found it to simply be insightful. Opened my eyes to a different way of doing things. It provides a window into a pulm ICU that doesn't sedate their patients (except when needing to paralyze/prone). They walk all their patients on the vent to keep up strength and muscle mass. Very few patients end up with a trach/peg. Very different from anything I experienced in the ICUs.

Last edited:
I found it to simply be insightful. Opened my eyes to a different way of doing things. It provides a window into a pulm ICU that doesn't sedate their patients (except when needing to paralyze/prone). They walk all their patients on the vent to keep up strength and muscle mass. Very few patients end up with a trach/peg. Very different from anything I experienced in the ICUs.
Thats because it takes intensive nursing effort to do stuff like this. Most ICUs I’ve been in just do sedation because it’s easier for nursing.

Thats because it takes intensive nursing effort to do stuff like this. Most ICUs I’ve been in just do sedation because it’s easier for nursing.
And that is discussed in detail. Definitely a lot more work, but less issues with PTSD related to sedation induced delirium, less muscle atrophy, less "trach, peg, rehab" sounds pretty intriguing.

There are places that walk patients on ecmo. They have like five staff members accompanying them

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I've heard something like that on a different podcast. It might even have been her. That's nice and all but usually (pre-COVID) there is barely enough staff to get the non intubated patients out of bed and walking around.