CPJE Application Conundrum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allhur3

Reaction score
I am in a tricky situation. I think my situation is unique enough that I cannot find an answer anywhere.

I am getting naturalized at the end of April with an official name change. I am also in the process of submitting my CPJE application. Will I be able to alter the name for my CPJE application after it is submitted, or will I have to resubmit the application with my new name?

Right now, these are my 3 options (feel free to let me know if you have any more thoughts on the matter).

1. Wait until my name change, but I will also need to go through the name changing process with BOP in NY and CA for my intern permit + DMV and passport name changes as well. It would take enough time to seriously delay my application.
2. Submit the application then possibly risk resubmitting the application (with extra fees).
3. Not change my name until after I seat for my exam (pay $435 to get my name changed).

*In addition, I am an out-of-state student which already puts my examination seating behind the Californian exam takers. I am starting my residency soon, and getting licensed is a slightly time sensitive matter.

**I thought this ahead of time and submitted my naturalization application in 12/2019, but COVID has delayed this process to the point where it is now a problem for me :(

Members don't see this ad.

Name changes are a headache. If it were me, I would reconsider changing your legal name, you can still use whatever name you want day to day.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on naturalization. I would advise against the name change until after sitting for the exam as the registration vs identification check at the exam site is extremely strict.

I would even advise against a name change until you receive your license in case you need to retake the exam.

Agree with post above. My friend was turned away for not having a middle initial during her registration but her dl has her middle initial. Save all the headache and pay any extra fees