CPJE board exam breached?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Honey, Western, UOP, and USC have been cheating since the beginning of time. Look at their NAPLEX/CPJE pass rates compared to UCSF. This is nothing new and should've been reported immediately. Someone was just dumb enough to cheat in the first place, and get caught.

I would call BS on the UoP and USC. Even in the old days, UCSF had a fairly snobbish reputation that "of course you can pass the Boards" but UoP and USC were sweating that their students couldn't make it, and made sure to do better CALPLEX (and NAPLEX) preparation.

But what was the boards reaction those 2 times? Did they withhold scores and cancel tests like they are doing this time?

Yes, and it was a headache as well for the Morris-Cody time because they actually forced people who had a license to retake the exam who had also signed up for Morris-Cody. They protested, but the Board has a fairly unlimited discretion to make any and all licensees reprove the competency if there exists a reason.

Members don't see this ad.

Did any of these Nobel prize winners come from the school of pharmacy? Maybe in research but I would say USC is much more “innovative” in pharmacy practice than UCSF.

No, and yes. The Nobel Prize winners except for one were in Basic Sciences, and USC has always had to out-innovate UCSF. USC had the first PharmD (although much different than today's or even my generation where you took a bunch of philosophy classes and other humanities to be able to be the cultural pillar of the community you went to, a glorified barber or druggist in the old sense). UCSF had a period of major innovation under Francke and others, but USC has always had to stay one step ahead due to its tuition disadvantage.

I can post a Cliffs Notes whitewashed version of that history if anyone is interested. Surprised you weren't forced to drink that hemlock in school.

Reactions: 1 user
You know this is going to hit national news because UCSF is such a well know public institution.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone got the scoop on what actually happened ? This is a huge deal if they won't be able to get it resolved until next year

Wouldn't you say CPJE is obsolete? There are too many schools anyway so CPJE is no effective filter. Or just move the slider to the right and require 125+ NAPLEX or 85+ CPJE

What innovation are you talking about?

UCSF is considered number 1 because US News released a ranking based on NIH funding and UCSF was on top. It is also because it is “UCSF” and it was relatively cheap back then.

I am good friends with several UCSF pharmacists and none of them really had good things to say about the school.
Well idk who you're talking to, but I had a great experience at UCSF when I went there. Definitely an innovative school.

Anyone got the scoop on what actually happened ? This is a huge deal if they won't be able to get it resolved until next year
Looks like a UCSD student got caught cheating this year as well.

Wouldn't you say CPJE is obsolete? There are too many schools anyway so CPJE is no effective filter.
Might as well just make residency mandatory for any and all pharmacist positions in CA starting from the graduating class of 202X. LOLOLOLOLOL.

Or just move the slider to the right and require 125+ NAPLEX or 85+ CPJE
This will push even more people to cheat. LOLOLOLOLOL.

Can also mandate passing CPJE every 2-3 years as a condition of license renewal as the BOP apparently can do whatever the **** they want on this matter.

It'll never happen due to limited resources (maybe possibly "randomly" assign licensees to retake CPJE) and inability to curb cheating. Hey if you did those 30 CE in 2 hrs, doing CPJE without any prep should be cake.

Everybody come in here and make fun of the "oh look at us with our sunshine and in and out burgers and I know Elon Musk and I spent $1.7 million on a modest split level that would cost $145,000 in Omaha" Californians.

Nelson Muntz HaHa to all y'all.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
You know this is going to hit national news because UCSF is such a well know public institution.

Lol but no one gives a flying flamingo about this...and those that do have already checked into this thread.

Can also mandate passing CPJE every 2-3 years as a condition of license renewal as the BOP apparently can do whatever the **** they want on this matter.

It'll never happen due to limited resources (maybe possibly "randomly" assign licensees to retake CPJE) and inability to curb cheating. Hey if you did those 30 CE in 2 hrs, doing CPJE without any prep should be cake.

Lol every employer would howl, at least these are new hires/new grads who haven’t been embedded into employment yet.

Imagine my one of my DOPs being forced to retake CPJE. Not that he can’t pass, just takes away time managing a $100M+ department.

Basically forced jury duty, and can easily be argued that it is not in the public’s interest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Everybody come in here and make fun of the "oh look at us with our sunshine and in and out burgers and I know Elon Musk and I spent $1.7 million on a modest split level that would cost $145,000 in Omaha" Californians.

Nelson Muntz HaHa to all y'all.

:::shrug:::: I’m unaffected AND I get my sunshine, good Mexican food, and don’t get constantly asked “where are you FROM from?” after answering that I was born in the United States -_-

:::shrug:::: I’m unaffected AND I get my sunshine, good Mexican food, and don’t get constantly asked “where are you FROM from?” after answering that I was born in the United States -_-

You can get good Mexican food anywhere these days. Californians are like New Yorkers with their pizza. As if all the Mexicans start in LA, go East, get to the Mojave, then they are like " Eff this!" and turn back around. Keeping their taco secrets in California forever.

I got a taqueria a block from work. A Chilango runs it. Got that crazy spinning meat cone thing to make the Al Pastor with and everything.

You can get good Mexican food anywhere these days. Californians are like New Yorkers with their pizza. As if all the Mexicans start in LA, go East, get to the Mojave, then they are like " Eff this!" and turn back around. Keeping their taco secrets in California forever.

I got a taqueria a block from work. A Chilango runs it. Got that crazy spinning meat cone thing to make the Al Pastor with and everything.

Fair point, it’s 2019. I’d say 15-20 years ago I was right (unless you were some lucky small town where a culinary genius aka someone’s mom settled).

Al Pastor is life.

Wouldn't you say CPJE is obsolete? There are too many schools anyway so CPJE is no effective filter. Or just move the slider to the right and require 125+ NAPLEX or 85+ CPJE

That's still a problem. If you look at the stats, the pass rate for non Californians is already a measly 50-60% range. It'll just be worse. I find it hard to believe that there's such a huge bias to California schools.

That's still a problem. If you look at the stats, the pass rate for non Californians is already a measly 50-60% range. It'll just be worse. I find it hard to believe that there's such a huge bias to California schools.

californians are just smarter in general. we're more open-minded, which is more conducive to learning (i.e., it's difficult to take in new information if your mind is not open).

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
There are a lot of poor students in the non-California cohort because of lower admissions standards (see MCPHS) so that is a factor also.

If you look at the off-season pass rate, the pass rate for California schools is pretty horrid too but smaller n

californians are just smarter in general. we're more open-minded, which is more conducive to learning (i.e., it's difficult to take in new info if your mind is not open).

Holy cow

The lower scores make sense.

Only a complete idiot would willingly move to a state where all the good places to live are saturated and it costs $9.8 million for a 1 bedroom mud hut with no indoor plumbing built in-between a maximum security prison and the county dump.

• Love

Except Canadians, which almost always and still hold the pass record even over UoP which is usually the best performing in-state school. My year, it was 97% and it had been consistently over 90% for a long time.

OoooOOooo looks like it was actually a girl from UCSD who was caught cheating, not UCSF. Court documents on BOP website.

I think she is a PGY1 resident at UCI Medical Center if the public records available are to be believed.

I was going to post it....but there is an open google doc with commencement information and graduates were instructed to send in their residency program info.

Last edited:
I think she is a PGY1 resident at UCI Medical Center if the public records available are to be believed.

I was going to post it....but there is an open google doc with commencement information and graduates were instructed to send in their residency program info.
*was

It has been an emotional roller coaster dealing with this incompetent board. First they say 30-45 days, a few weeks in, it was extended to 45-60 days. I call a week later and the new wait time is 60-90 days. Now with 3 weeks left until my 90 day mark, this **** drops. This is so unfair, I'm in jeopardy of losing my position because of this wait. I have no words to describe how frustrated I'm with this whole process, I mean at least let me know if I passed or not, is that really too much to ask for. I've struggled with depression and anxiety which has stemmed from all of this. I can't count how many times I've broken down in tears, not knowing what my future entails.

The whole situation sucks, but as Lord mentioned, the board could very well throw out all the scores and make everybody retake the exam. Your best bet is to prepare for the worst, which would be your retaking the exam. Possibly several months down the road. As CA is *not* experiencing a shortage of pharmacists, the board has no public interest in hurrying through the process. If the cheating is as widespread, as it sounds like it may have been, the board will recognize that they can't ferret out all the cheaters, and they will make everyone redo the test. Hopefully your employer will be understanding of the situation.

Reactions: 4 users
All pending results are invalidated. Hope someone else cheats or tries to steal exam materials again. This needs to happen more often. Maybe, pay some rando to do this on all test centers nationwide lmao.

• Haha
All pending results are invalidated. Hope someone else cheats or tries to steal exam materials again. This needs to happen more often. Maybe, pay some rando to do this on all test centers nationwide lmao.

Good idea. We can end the surplus if we figure out a way to perpetually postpone all the tests.

Wow imagine how pissed any of us would have been if this had happened to us when we tested! Do the innocent people at least get a refund or a waiver to retest?!

Folks it appears we have picked a high drama career.

Reactions: 3 users
Sigh, not the first time this has happened, what a tragedy. I wonder whether a criminal investigation will be opened into this considering the fraud involved.

Wow imagine how pissed any of us would have been if this had happened to us when we tested! Do the innocent people at least get a refund or a waiver to retest?!

Yes, Thomson has an established procedure for this. CA will eat the cost of this, so sorry @confettiflyer, @Momus, and everyone else who is licensed in CA, we're going to probably pay $20 more for less due to the exam stupidity tax (including myself except that mine get reimbursed anyway).

In terms of the criminal, I would never feel safe again if I were in their shoes considering how angry I would feel about this livelihood screwover if it were me. Knowing my own behavior in terms of looking for that right moment in a couple of past cases, it would be absolutely terrifying if 200-300 or so motivated candidates had the time and patience to wait for that right moment. For obvious reasons, I am not advocating for criminal behavior as a matter of vengeance, but there are plenty of legal and borderline ways to make your displeasure known about situations. I hope this gets at least the same treatment as Morris Cody got when his business screwed over that year in terms of the deprivation of livelihood lawsuits.

That's crazy. Imagine if this happened with the NAPLEX.

That's crazy. Imagine if this happened with the NAPLEX.

I find it implausible that the defendant breached CPJE, but not NAPLEX. I get CPJE is the (relatively) harder exam, but it’s weird to me.

I told my residents “hey, at least you got a free practice exam and are still getting paid the same.”

Sent from my iPad using SDN

They are even less hireable now. Unemployment gaps are huge turnoffs to employers no matter the excuse, because it means you are sitting around doing literally NOTHING for months on end.
Not necessarily. If you get laid off or have a legit reason for quitting or not working unexpectedly, it will take you some time to find another job. Especially in this job market.

Employers not looking for specific competencies or background have no reason to hire randos with unemployment gaps these days, regardless of the reason, unless they're REALLY desperate.

Not necessarily. If you get laid off or have a legit reason for quitting or not working unexpectedly, it will take you some time to find another job. Especially in this job market.
That is optimistic thinking because you won’t have the opportunity to even explain yourself to begin with. What is an employer going to see? Just a resume for the most part— which they will take 30 sec max to look at. They aren’t going to be thinking “oh gee I wonder if this guy graduated this year and tried taking the CPJE in the last 2 months, because there’s that whole licensing fiasco going on right now. Guess I’ll give him a pass for the unemployment gap” for every app they get.

There are literally hundreds of applicants per pharmacist job listing these days. Either the computer or the HR person (who knows nothing about pharmacy) will auto filter the applicants with employment gaps. They don't stand a chance.

By the time the class of 2019 finally gets licensed the class of 2020 will likely be well on their way to get licensed.

Companies would most likely rather take the 2020 grads over the class of 2019 grads who have been out of school and jobless for a year.

Came across a petition on change.org, not sure how this will play out..

I had to postpone starting a job after moving across the country just because the state board was running behind on processing applications. That was frustrating enough, I can't imagine being told that my scores are just invalidated and I cannot start my job.

Came across a petition on change.org, not sure how this will play out..

It’s going to play out exactly how the change.org petition to cap enrollment in pharmacy schools played out: it will go nowhere. Pharmacists of all the health care professions have the most passive personalities and can’t stand up for themselves, and they think signing some petition is going to do something?

Reactions: 3 users
It’s going to play out exactly how the change.org petition to cap enrollment in pharmacy schools played out: it will go nowhere. Pharmacists of all the health care professions have the most passive personalities and can’t stand up for themselves, and they think signing some petition is going to do something?

There are barely over 1,000 signatures. Looks like the only ones signing are the ones who took the exam.

This did happen with the NAPLEX and Georgia MPJE in 8/2007. The entire NAPLEX was suspended for about 4-6 weeks and the Georgia MPJE somewhat longer. Luckily I lived in a different State so I took my MPJE as soon as I could and then studied while I waited for the NAPLEX to go back online. I signed up as soon as I could. It didn't effect me too much then because in that time I was waiting for my ATT.