CPJE Suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RiverRook23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Scheduled to take my CPJE this Wednesday. Been using Ebay Pharmacy Charts to study from. Focusing on dosage forms, counseling points, and IV meds storage and a little bit of law. Nervous, but just want to get it over with. Any other suggestions on what to study? And have a longer wait cuz of the QA period. Ugh

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought it would start December, too. Thanks for the info! I think I will be rescheduling mine, I need to study more anyway. But all the best to those who will be taking their CPJE soon! Hope we all pass!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the clarification, NaplexRx! Can we still take it next week (or until last week of the month maybe) and the results wouldn't be affected by the QA? They usually send the results in 1-2 weeks, right? Would you know how that works?

From my gathering and from previous years, all tests taken before the QA period should receive their results within 30 days (hopefully 1 to 2 weeks)

Talked to the California board and they verified that there is no QA period this month and that it was an error in updating. So most likely December is the next QA period. So relieved :)

Just took my CPJE. I hate the wait for results ugh. Plus, I think I missed some easy questions. Hopefully I did enough to pass

Members don't see this ad :)
Still no results from either naplex or cpje. The wait is brutal. Took naplex on 11/8 and cpje 11/13. I'm getting an ulcer from all this waiting.

Anh80, i think focusing on usual/max dosing for commonly dispensed meds and consultations for different medications (with or without food, refrigeration) and IV meds would be good to memorize before getting into the exam.

Still no results from either naplex or cpje. The wait is brutal. Took naplex on 11/8 and cpje 11/13. I'm getting an ulcer from all this waiting.

Anh80, i think focusing on usual/max dosing for commonly dispensed meds and consultations for different medications (with or without food, refrigeration) and IV meds would be good to memorize before getting into the exam.

Yeah, same here about keeping us posted. Thanks for the suggestion.

I moved the test date to this coming Monday. Afraid I am jumbling things. Still do not feel ready. Too much dosing--not sure how to narrow it down to which one is important. How much do you think we should know about the antibiotic dosing? I know there are the common ones like Bactrim DS and Cipro, etc., but how about the dosing for abdominal infections, etc. Thanks! Hope you get your results soon.

Side Note: For the Naplex, have you tried looking for the results through the nabp website? I took my Naplex outside of CA and saw the results in a couple of days posted on that website.

Last edited:
Can't check NABP cuz I'm in California. I'd say just focus on common infectious disease states like pneumonia, ssti, etc. and usual abx for each disease state

Not sure. It was my first time ever taking the CPJE. IMO, cpje is a lot more specific, maybe a little easier. NAPLEX is too random (which makes it difficult in that respect)

For the cpje, should I even bother studying which medicines should stay in its original packaging? I know I would like to know it and should know it in practice, but anyone encounter it on the CPJE?

I wouldn't say that's so much important (except maybe nitroglycerin). Refrigeration and with/without food, and IV compatibility are the biggest things IMO

I don't know. I think the cpje is harder than the naplex, but I guess it is the luck of the draw. I am hoping I got enough scaled scores to pass. I know I missed some easy questions that now I am banging my head over. I expected it to be mostly what riverrook23 mentioned (refrigeration, etc.) and majority of the people on the forum posted similar responses before. In my opinion, side effects, drug interactions, dosing, drug conversions (iv to po, etc.), and ancillary labels were the biggest things, but I might be the odd ball.

Does anyone know how they scale this test?

hi everyone,

I took the CPJE in October, I actually think the CPJE is more reasonable than the Naplex. After I took the CPJE, I walked out more confident compared to how I felt with the Naplex, and my scores did reflect that. I got higher score with CPJE. The way the questions wording in CPJE is more straight forward and shorter. I was traumatized after the Naplex which had a lot of case type questions and it is very random (just like most people say). At least CPJE has only four choices and no "apply all" questions. I walked out of the Naplex, I think I got about 10-20 questions right (yes that's why the Naplex terrified me so much). I walked out of CPJE, I know I got at least 30 questions right.

I only study with RxPrep. the book is enough, I just read it over and over.
MUST-DO: The questions on the yellow booklet is that the board sent you after you registered for the exam to get the sense of what to focus on.

Brand names, indications and counseling points are very important !!!

According what they said on the board website that there are different versions of the exam, if you get the harder ones, they will curve more to make it fair.

You should have all of the following down (most of the items you already knew if you have extensive work experience)

1. Top 300 drugs, brand - generic (including all the common brands of all of the combo drugs such as Lotrel, Advicor, Simcor etc) indications, common side effects. Pay close attention to the drugs that have different brand for the same generic, why are they different? or the drug that have multiple indication at different dosage strength... Example: Finasteride vs Propecia, Sarafem vs Prozac, Duac vs Benzamycin vs Benzaclin, Intuniv vs Tenex, Maxzide vs Dyazide etc....
2. Auxillary label for those top drugs, fridge or not, drowsiness, with or without food, external use only etc
3. Don't overlook Eye and ear drops brand generic, indication, substitution !!! know the sig for these OS OD OU AS AD AU...
4. Immunization, again brand and generic, age cut off for different brand, which brand for what age etc... very important!!!
5. IV to PO, D5W vs NS, IV stability, Light Sensitivity
6. HIV drugs, with food/without food, brand generic, pregnancy HIV drugs, sulfa allergy HIV drugs, general SE of each class. Same with Chemo.
7. Laws
8. Clinical

Last edited:
hi everyone,

I took the CPJE in October, I actually think the CPJE is more reasonable than the Naplex. After I took the CPJE, I walked out more confident compared to how I felt with the Naplex, and my scores did reflect that. I got higher score with CPJE. The way the questions wording in CPJE is more straight forward and shorter. I was traumatized after the Naplex which had a lot of case type questions and it is very random (just like most people say). At least CPJE has only four choices and no "apply all" questions. I walked out of the Naplex, I think I got about 10-20 questions right (yes that's why the Naplex terrified me so much). I walked out of CPJE, I know I got at least 30 questions right.

I only study with RxPrep. the book is enough, I just read it over and over.
MUST-DO: The questions on the yellow booklet is that the board sent you after you registered for the exam to get the sense of what to focus on.

Brand names, indications and counseling points are very important !!!

According what they said on the board website that there are different versions of the exam, if you get the harder ones, they will curve more to make it fair.

Yeah, I admit that it was more straight forward, even the case type questions, which I did not expect to encounter as much as I did considering this is a 90 question exam. I was rushing somewhat through the middle trying to get through all the questions. Yeah, I spent too much time on a couple. So there are different versions of the exam? Really? I thought they pulled the questions from a bank of questions like the naplex. I wonder if I would have gotten an easier exam if I had not moved it???

http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/forms/det_passing_scores.pdf

"At any time, the board has a number of different test forms in use. Some of these examinations may be harder than others. To adjust for the difficulty of different examination forms and to ensure fairness to all candidates, the board uses a criterion-referenced scoring process to determine the passing score for any form of the CPJE."

I took the CPJE on Nov 4th, and it was my second attempt, and I still did not pass. My first time I took it in February 2012, and got 61, now 2nd time I got 71. 10 points higher than last time. I think if I got one more question right, I would have passed. I am confused on their grading criteria though. Here was my scores breakdown:

Area 1: Patient Medications (33% of the examination): 13.5 Very high Score
Area 2: Patient Outcomes (40% of the examination) 9.4 Very Low Score
Area 3: Pharmacy Operations (27% of the examination) 9.8 Very Low Score

Im assuming Area 1 patient medication is the clinical part of the exam, I have no clue what area 2 or area 3 is, can someone give me some insite on how to go about studying for those 2 areas?
This is embarrassing and disappointing considering that I am a licensed pharmacist in the state of Illinois and Florida. California is crazy!