Crashing The Boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Serveyoursole

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious if any of you have ever used "Crashing The Boards" to study for step 1? If any of you have heard of it or used it any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am curious if any of you have ever used "Crashing The Boards" to study for step 1? If any of you have heard of it or used it any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Nobody over at the allopathic/step1 forums has ever mentioned or heard of that book. The last edition is from 1999. I'd be wary. Some topics never change (anatomy), but some topics certainly do (pharmacology). I know one of the veteran posters said they used it & liked it, but I'm sure there are better, more current & popular choices out there.

From reading the amazon reviews though, it seems like a much briefer, more simplified review book (compared to FA). I can see how some people might like that. Personally I would stick with FA and just annotate the heck out of it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Nobody over at the allopathic/step1 forums has ever mentioned or heard of that book. The last edition is from 1999. I'd be wary. Some topics never change (anatomy), but some topics certainly do (pharmacology). I know one of the veteran posters said they used it & liked it, but I'm sure there are better, more current & popular choices out there.

From reading the amazon reviews though, it seems like a much briefer, more simplified review book (compared to FA). I can see how some people might like that. Personally I would stick with FA and just annotate the heck out of it.

Although anatomy doesn't change, some newer textbooks and review courses will include more anatomic variants. Just read Saraffian's textbook on foot and ankle anatomy for a mind boggling number of variations.

If you are thinking of taking the APMLE Part 1- I think USMLE FA and Lower Notes are the way to go. BRS Physiology was helpful as well but overkill in my opinion. Since there is no set book for the part one boards, I think the less resources you use the better. I wouldn't spend any time memorizing artery variations for anatomy.

I don't know what questions others in my year received on the board, but I would use first aid book. Just know physiology, lower anatomy, and pharm/pharmodynamics, and micro really well.