Crazy question: I want to move to texas after undergrad just to get into med school. How?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justsomething

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My state only has one med school and my stats are too average, so I am considering moving to texas right after I graduate to set up residency there and apply as an in state student to texas med schools.

If I were to move in June right after undergrad, and then live there for a year while working some job (maybe as a scribe or something) and then in June a year after I move, I would apply to texas medical schools as an in state applicant.

You only need to live there for a year before applying, right? Or is it two years before applying?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
At first, I was like, "this guy is crazyyyy."

Then, "this is genius."

I do not have the answer to your question.

Reactions: 3 users
For NY, it is one year. I am not sure about Texas but my guess is that it would be most likely 1 or 2 years.

Edit: With some quick google search, it is one year.

Members don't see this ad :)
To establish domicile in Texas, you or your parent(s) must meet the following criteria:
  1. Live in Texas for 12 consecutive months; and
  2. Establish and maintain domicile for 12 consecutive months by doing one of the following:
  • Be gainfully employed in Texas (Student jobs do not qualify as gainful employment.)
  • Own residential real property in Texas
  • Own a business in Texas
  • Have a state or local license to practice a profession
  • Be married for one year to a person who has established domicile in Texas

Reactions: 3 users
A lot of people do this in Canada. They move from BC/ON to AB/MB and establish residency because Alberta and Manitoba have crazy low GPA reqs.

Catalystik nailed it (Google is your friend OP) --
Bear in mind that residential real estate in TX is cheap, (and TMDSAS opens in MAY, not JUNE) so you may not want to wait to buy.

I wanted to do this as well, but the free rent with my family is too tempting...

Catalystik nailed it (Google is your friend OP) --
Bear in mind that residential real estate in TX is cheap, (and TMDSAS opens in MAY, not JUNE) so you may not want to wait to buy.
What do you mean? I'm not looking to buy a house, I just want to get into medical school.

What do you mean? I'm not looking to buy a house, I just want to get into medical school.

Buying a house is just one of the options. You basically have to just live there and have a job for a year. Easy peasy.

Buying a house is just one of the options. You basically have to just live there and have a job for a year. Easy peasy.
So you can basically own a house there for 12 months (even if you are not working a job), and you are all set?

Also, what if I buy a house there, but don't actually live in Texas for the 12 months? Would that still work?

Also, sorry, another question, what if you take on a mortgage of a house in texas? Does that count as "owning" it, or do you have to own it completely?

I had to be a Texas resident for a while for some reasons unrelated to medical school, long before I ever applied.

The cheapest and most direct option was to purchase an RV or camper van, and register with the Escapees RV club in Livingston TX. They have been handling domicile issues for years and know all the ins and outs for driver's license, voting, etc to maintain a proper Texas domicile and residency no matter where you happen to be. They also do a lot of domicile advocacy and lobbying at the state and federal level for such issues.

In retrospect, I kind of wish I had kept my domicile in Texas. Oh well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had to be a Texas resident for a while for some reasons unrelated to medical school, long before I ever applied.

The cheapest and most direct option was to purchase an RV or camper van, and register with the Escapees RV club in Livingston TX. They have been handling domicile issues for years and know all the ins and outs for driver's license, voting, etc to maintain a proper Texas domicile and residency no matter where you happen to be. They also do a lot of domicile advocacy and lobbying at the state and federal level for such issues.

In retrospect, I kind of wish I had kept my domicile in Texas. Oh well.
So buying an RV in texas is considered "owning property"? I just always imagined that an RV is more like a "vehicle" instead of property. Basically, if I buy an RV there and live in the RV for a year in Texas, will that qualify me for residency?

So buying an RV in texas is considered "owning property"? I just always imagined that an RV is more like a "vehicle" instead of property. Basically, if I buy an RV there and live in the RV for a year in Texas, will that qualify me for residency?
An RV can be a primary home, as long as it has cooking and bathroom facilities. This is also true at the federal level, and the benefits of home ownership (like deductible mortgages) apply as well. I've lived in boats and RVs as a primary residence / domicile for over ten years, in the past.

An RV can be a primary home, as long as it has cooking and bathroom facilities. This is also true at the federal level, and the benefits of home ownership (like deductible mortgages) apply as well. I've lived in boats and RVs as a primary residence / domicile for over ten years, in the past.
Wow that's pretty cool. I guess I could buy a cheap RV for like $4,000 in texas and live in it for a year. I'll also need to work to buy food and stuff, but I'm not sure if I can find a full time job, so I might opt for several part time jobs.

If I were to try to work there in order to gain residency, would I need to maintain a full time job? Or are part time jobs okay? (like if I worked at starbucks or something. I just don't think my college major will get me any "good" jobs lol. Or as a scribe if I am lucky).

What are your numbers and home state, OP? Are you sure you're not jumping the gun on this one?

To establish domicile in Texas, you or your parent(s) must meet the following criteria:
  2. Establish and maintain domicile for 12 consecutive months by doing one of the following:
  • Be gainfully employed in Texas (Student jobs do not qualify as gainful employment.)

I see a remake of the movie "Green Card"

Reactions: 2 users
What are your numbers and home state, OP? Are you sure you're not jumping the gun on this one?

I don't really want to reveal what my state is, but let's just say I have only one medical school in my state. And my numbers are average, my ecs are below average (just clinical stuff/shadowing, part time work, barely any research).

LOL if you can withstand the really hot humid summers here, then come on over. Are you sure you can make enough to live on your own by having a job as a scribe? The wages are low here, but the living cost is also so low. Why not transfer to a Texas university and finish here?

Also I believe you must be independent to establish residency in a state different from your parents. This means your parents can't claim you on their tax return.

LOL if you can withstand the really hot humid summers here, then come on over. Are you sure you can make enough to live on your own by having a job as a scribe? The wages are low here, but the living cost is also so low. Why not transfer to a Texas university and finish here?
because I'm pretty much getting a "full ride" at my current state school which is a no name school. I love hot summers. What is the acceptance rate for in state applicants at texas med schools?

What is the acceptance rate for in state applicants at texas med schools?

About 36% of IS applicants get IS acceptances in Texas -- so pretty much the same percentage that gets acceptances overall.
Just cheaper. Much cheaper ;-)

Also I believe you must be independent to establish residency in a state different from your parents. This means your parents can't claim you on their tax return.

^ This. Varies by state/school but easy to get tripped up by, especially that first year right after you graduate.

It's not so ridiculous. A house in Texas costs about 5$.

Not Texas but I know of a guy who bought some cheap land in the middle of nowhere (one of those undeveloped land parcels that go for $500/acre but is inaccessible expect by 4x4 and basically useless) in order to qualify for in-state tuition without having to wait.

Part of the reason I moved from my old state (only 1 med school, next closest was a 10hr drive) to Ohio was for the larger number of in-state schools and close out of state private schools. Just make sure it's a decision you can live with even if you don't get in anywhere.

because I'm pretty much getting a "full ride" at my current state school which is a no name school. I love hot summers. What is the acceptance rate for in state applicants at texas med schools?
I'm not sure on the rates, but I have heard that 80% of acceptances go to Texas residents and the other 20% are for the people who are out of state that have good stats.

I'm not sure on the rates, but I have heard that 80% of acceptances go to Texas residents and the other 20% are for the people who are out of state that have good stats.

Actually it's 90% of the public school spots go to IS, 75% of Baylor's.

Actually it's 90% of the public school spots go to IS, 75% of Baylor's.
Thanks for clarifying it. I wasn't sure about the numbers. Go Texans! (not the football team, they suck)

OP, you do not have to buy any property in Texas in order to meet the criteria for residency. The only stipulations are that you must do ONE of the things above AND live in Texas for 12 consecutive months.

It's not so ridiculous. A house in Texas costs about 5$.
:lol:

Where they get you is the property tax!! The house may be $120k, but the property tax may be $3k-4k/year! It's insane. Of course, we have no state income tax. :)

Last edited:
I see a remake of the movie "Green Card"
Exactly. OP needs to marry a Texan!

Seriously though, I'm sure the TX adcoms will likely see right past OP's attempt to quickly manipulate the State of Texas' admissions regulations for their med schools.

OP, if you want to be a Texan, you've got to mean it. I moved here 6 years ago. I purchased a house at the same time, obtained a state licensure (RN), remained married to a Texas resident (my wife became a TX resident after we lived here a year; so did I), and maintained continuous full-time employment, before I applied to med school.

Also, sorry, another question, what if you take on a mortgage of a house in texas? Does that count as "owning" it, or do you have to own it completely?
No, you don't have to own it completely (that might take decades). A mortgage counts as owning in every state.

I'm sure obtaining residency in Texas is the same as Florida or just about any other state. I moved here, got my drivers license and vehicle registration changed, got a job, and submitted a notarized copy of my declaration of domicile to the county. Once June 15th or whatever the date is on my license rolls around I'll officially be a resident and get in state tuition according to my local school. They went by exactly 1 year after my license was acquired so get that done asap. Really the only official things I had to send in for school was one Tier 1 document (License, vehicle registration, voter registration) and one Tier 2 document (proof of job, professional licenses, bills/permanent address), or you can submit two Tier 1's. Whatever works for you.

Last edited:
If you do make the move, you don't have to apply one year later to claim residency. As long as you will have lived in the state for 12 consecutive months prior to the day school begins, you're considered in-state. My friend did this in Florida last year: moved in May, applied in September, accepted in November. But of course you'd want to get a job, change your license, and have an in-state address to make things easier. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, what if I buy a house there, but don't actually live in Texas for the 12 months? Would that still work?
No. Note the "and" at the end of requirement 1 listed in Catalystik's post below.

Last edited:
With all these comments about FL, etc, do keep in mind that establishing residency for medical school tuition (or even acceptance in some states) varies by state. What is true for FL does not necessarily apply to other states. Check the state(s) that interest you before moving forward.

No. Note the "and" at the end of requirement 1 listed in Catalystik's post below.
Of course if you read Catalystik's rules carefully, they make no sense. In order to "establish a domicile in Texas", you must

1. Live in Texas
2. Establish a domicile in Texas via ...

So if you only perform action #2, haven't you established a domicile in Texas, by definition?

This isn't just an academic exercise. If you really are planning on getting a camper van, you still need to establish a domicile somewhere in order to vote and maintain a drivers license and stuff.

Seriously check out the Escapees RV club in Livingston. They have many years experience with this, and high priced lawyers who have analyzed the finer points of Texas domiciles and Texas residency for folks who generally aren't in Texas at all.

I was a legal domiciled resident of Texas for three years, yet I have been within the vast borders of Texas less than 5 days total in my whole life. It can be done.

If you do make the move, you don't have to apply one year later to claim residency. As long as you will have lived in the state for 12 consecutive months prior to the day school begins, you're considered in-state. My friend did this in Florida last year: moved in May, applied in September, accepted in November. But of course you'd want to get a job, change your license, and have an in-state address to make things easier. Correct me if I'm wrong.

FL may have a lot of medical schools, but there are a lot of pre-meds here as well to fill each school. We have one of the top feeder schools in the US applying to medical schools (UFlorida) and just the number of premeds coming from there alone can fill each school twice over. Also I believe the required percentage of Florida residents that can be accepted is about ~65%, no where near the 90% of Texas. So overall acceptance rate is comparable to the rest of the nation. Also the only private school in FL (UMiami) has no preference for Florida residents anymore.

Just saying if you're going to move somewhere just for medical school, Texas is the clear winner (though as said, you'll still be facing stiff competition everywhere). Now if you want to live in FL for the weather and the medical school is a plus, then I highly suggest coming over here. Plus no state income taxes over here as well.;)

Just saying if you're going to move somewhere just for medical school, Texas is the clear winner (though as said, you'll still be facing stiff competition everywhere).

Texas gives you 9 chances, and 36.6% of IS residents 'hit' on one or more of those 9 chances.

On a 'per school' level, figuring the number of IS Matriculants to IS Applicants the University of Arkansas is still best odds. The 'easiest 10' have single-school IS acceptance rates of 36% plus.

https://www.aamc.org/download/321442/data/2013factstable1.pdf

Of course if you read Catalystik's rules carefully, they make no sense. In order to "establish a domicile in Texas", you must

1. Live in Texas
2. Establish a domicile in Texas via ...

So if you only perform action #2, haven't you established a domicile in Texas, by definition?

This isn't just an academic exercise. If you really are planning on getting a camper van, you still need to establish a domicile somewhere in order to vote and maintain a drivers license and stuff.

Seriously check out the Escapees RV club in Livingston. They have many years experience with this, and high priced lawyers who have analyzed the finer points of Texas domiciles and Texas residency for folks who generally aren't in Texas at all.

I was a legal domiciled resident of Texas for three years, yet I have been within the vast borders of Texas less than 5 days total in my whole life. It can be done.

Here is another paragraph from the website:

"Determining residency for the applicant pool is different than determining residency for tuition purposes. Residency for admission and tuition purposes at a public college or university in Texas is different from residency for voting or taxing purposes."

And the paragraph immediately before the rules reads as follows:

"If you are independent for tax purposes, you may gain resident status if you establish domicile in the state."

In terms of the rules listed, I would infer that the first "establish a domicile" is in the sense of establishing domicile for application/tuition purposes and that the "establish a domicile" in action #2 is in terms of establishing domicile for voting/tax purposes. But as you noted, plenty of ambiguity there, and that's where you probably could bring the lawyers in.

Here is another paragraph from the website:

"Determining residency for the applicant pool is different than determining residency for tuition purposes. Residency for admission and tuition purposes at a public college or university in Texas is different from residency for voting or taxing purposes."

And the paragraph immediately before the rules reads as follows:

"If you are independent for tax purposes, you may gain resident status if you establish domicile in the state."

In terms of the rules listed, I would infer that the first "establish a domicile" is in the sense of establishing domicile for application/tuition purposes and that the "establish a domicile" in action #2 is in terms of establishing domicile for voting/tax purposes. But as you noted, plenty of ambiguity there, and that's where you probably could bring the lawyers in.
That's all well and good if you're talking about getting lower tuition rates. But in the application process, where they are not required to give you any legs up for your residency (even if they are required to give a certain number of seats to TX residents, they don't have to give YOU preference if they think you're trying to game them) it's not a legal thing, it's a "Oh look, they're trying to fudge their instate-ness." Whether that's a plus or a negative is their discretion, not some right you gain as soon as you are technically IS.

Reactions: 2 users