Creating a Med School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GrayArea

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to begin creating a list of medical schools that I would want to apply to. I am from Cali, so I will obviously apply to most of the in-state schools. However, I am a little lost on where to begin the list of out of state schools. I am not really opposed to traveling anywhere in the US for a good medical education, which makes composing a list that much more difficult.

The only significant factor missing to complete my application is my MCAT. I know that the MCAT is essentially the determining factor for applying to schools. However, assuming that I do well on the MCAT, the rest of my stats are pretty solid so I at least want to begin thinking of potential schools. I am scheduled to test March 31, since I could not find a seat in Jan.

Here is a brief background in case it can help some of you give me some advice.

I am a first generation Mexican-American as well as college student.
I graduated from a sate school with a 3.98 GPA.
About a thousand hours of patient contact via paid work.
Have lab research experience as well as experience in clinical trials research (2-3 yrs combined).
Have hundreds of hours in both clinical and non-clinical volunteering.
Have volunteered with a Latino health outreach program as well as mentored high school students.
Over 100 hours of shadowing.

I am very driven to medically serve/educate Latino communities and when I think of my future in medicine, I would like to do research onto of practice clinically.

Any ideas on how I can begin developing a list or maybe even some schools that you think would suit me if I do get a competitive MCAT score? Oh, and maybe what would be a competitive MCAT score be for me given the information I have provided?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I want to begin creating a list of medical schools that I would want to apply to. I am from Cali, so I will obviously apply to most of the in-state schools. However, I am a little lost on where to begin the list of out of state schools. I am not really opposed to traveling anywhere in the US for a good medical education, which makes composing a list that much more difficult.

The only significant factor missing to complete my application is my MCAT. I know that the MCAT is essentially the determining factor for applying to schools. However, assuming that I do well on the MCAT, the rest of my stats are pretty solid so I at least want to begin thinking of potential schools. I am scheduled to test March 31, since I could not find a seat in Jan.

Here is a brief background in case it can help some of you give me some advice.

I am a first generation Mexican-American as well as college student.
I graduated from a sate school with a 3.98 GPA.
About a thousand hours of patient contact via paid work.
Have lab research experience as well as experience in clinical trials research (2-3 yrs combined).
Have hundreds of hours in both clinical and non-clinical volunteering.
Have volunteered with a Latino health outreach program as well as mentored high school students.
Over 100 hours of shadowing.

I am very driven to medically serve/educate Latino communities and when I think of my future in medicine, I would like to do research onto of practice clinically.

Any ideas on how I can begin developing a list or maybe even some schools that you think would suit me if I do get a competitive MCAT score? Oh, and maybe what would be a competitive MCAT score be for me given the information I have provided?

Thanks!
It could be Harvard or it could be ponce. Report back with your MCAT

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Ok. But what kind of factors are important to consider when evaluating the quality of a medical education a schools can deliver?

The MCAT will just tell me if there are certain schools I should cross of my list of applications. I want to at least start considering schools.

For example, where can I get the sense of exactly what type of students schools prefer and what is unique about the education they have.

Ok. But what kind of factors are important to consider when evaluating the quality of a medical education a schools can deliver?

The MCAT will just tell me if there are certain schools I should cross of my list of applications. I want to at least start considering schools.

For example, where can I get the sense of exactly what type of students schools prefer and what is unique about the education they have.
MSAR. Buy it. Best 24 dollars. In all honesty the MCAT is what will determine if you get into an MD school let alone have the choice amongst few. It is futile to start narrowing down a list when you dont have a key component of your score. You could score a 520 and go where ever or you could score a 490 and not even get consideration for a DO school.

MSAR. Buy it. Best 24 dollars. In all honesty the MCAT is what will determine if you get into an MD school let alone have the choice amongst few. It is futile to start narrowing down a list when you dont have a key component of your score. You could score a 520 and go where ever or you could score a 490 and not even get consideration for a DO school.

Ok. Would taking it in March be ok? I kind of hoped on getting it done Jan but it filled up quick.