Creating a Position

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slycaper

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations on approaching a facility to create a position for you? I'm a EM resident graduating in 2 years and would like to work at a federal facility in san diego. Any other info would be greatly appreciated. Would I have a better chance if I had fellowship training since the facility is a teaching hospital (Balboa Naval Medical Center)?

Members don't see this ad.

I can tell you this much. PPO is not an option as stated on their bulletin. You have to show 12 months if billing to even apply to be a ppo. They say that this is impossible therefore pop is not an option.

What is a PPO, POP? Please expand on your comments if you don't mind. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
What type of PHS Docs are out there other than FP, OB, IM, EM?

What type of PHS Docs are out there other than FP, OB, IM, EM?

Ok, let's clarify.

Are you applying for the NHSC loan repayment program? Or are you applying to work in the Public Health Service?

If you are considering applying for NHSC, you cannot apply as an EM doctor.

If you're applying to work for the Public Health Service, you don't really even need a specialty. It looks like they just want you to have finished an intern year in order to be a commissioned officer.

Ok, let's clarify.

Are you applying for the NHSC loan repayment program? Or are you applying to work in the Public Health Service?

If you are considering applying for NHSC, you cannot apply as an EM doctor.

If you're applying to work for the Public Health Service, you don't really even need a specialty. It looks like they just want you to have finished an intern year in order to be a commissioned officer.

I'll be applying to the public health service, I was hoping to be accepted to a fellowship in critical care and have a position created for me for my unique skill set, probably won't happen. Crazy idea, I know. Basically I want to do a CC fellowship as a EM doc and work a little of both in a federal facility under PHS.