Credentialing new grad at first job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sawboned

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks. How do you handle Credentialing a new EM grad, who hasn't technically yet finished residency.

I've scored a new grad for our group and he will start work immediately following residency. However the Credentialing folks are being sticklers saying he's technically not finished with his residency so they won't send his application for the final approvals, meaning he won't be able to work.

Seems the simplest answer is issue temporary privileges. Obviously this happens 1000s of times a year - what's the best practice?

Members don't see this ad.

Ridiculous! People start work on July 1st every year, has your hospital never hired a new grad?

She will have a valid state license (don't need to finish residency for that); she will have a valid DEA (ditto); she will have a valid state controlled substance permit (if applicable).

Usually that is enough to get credentialing. Most bylaws don't demand a specific residency completion status, nor board certification.

You may have timelines (i.e. must be board certified by 4 years out to keep credentials).

If your credentials committee can't make that work, I'd push for temporary/emergency credentials for the first few months to provide a buffer.

I just find it hard to believe they've never had to deal with this before!

Reactions: 1 user
Your credentialing group is crazy. I moonlight a lot as a resident and haven't had any problems (obviously not board eligible yet).

There's no reason he can't finish the process and they process it July 1.

They're just being ornery.

Members don't see this ad :)
The key in cases like this is to take them at their word:

He finishes on XX/XX/XX, and would start work on YY/YY/XX. You expect that final privileges be available on the date that he starts. If they want to give themselves 24 hours to do all of that, then that is their problem.

Also remember the fundamental rule of healthcare, the less power some people have, the more they want to exercise it. Simply bump it up high enough to find someone who does have power and has no desire to exercise it. Usually when these type of things come up, it is from the very low level administrative person who does the initial processing, and the committee itself has no idea of what is going on.

They need a letter from the residency confirming good standing and possibly listing anticipated graduation date. The certificates of residency completion don't always come out for a month after July 1 anyway. This is all standard.

Appreciate the encouragement... Agree with all the above. Insisted we push him through with the understanding he would (of course) finish residency.

His first shift as an attending a few days away. Thanks again!