Credentials Banking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eremitestar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I was wondering if I could get some opinions on credentials banking. I've been on the fence for a while, but now my postdoc is winding down, and I know it'll be easier to do sooner rather than later. I've read through the couple of threads I was able to find on this, but they're a couple years old, and not super informative. I know that there are two options: National Register and ASPPB. ASPPB is free and NR has a fee. However, the states I've looked into either only accept NR, or they require the ASPPB's CPQ certification, which also has a fee. I don't see the point of going through all that paperwork and headache, even if the monetary cost is zero, if it doesn't do anything for me.

The reason I'm on the fence is that I plan to work in the VA (I already have a VA job lined up for when my fellowship ends), so it really doesn't matter what state I'm licensed in. However, there's no guarantee that I'll stay in the VA forever, and even if I do, it would be nice to have the option to work outside the VA if I so choose. I tend to be a pretty risk-averse person, and I like to keep my options open, but I'm not sure it's worth $160/year. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

The main reasons to get the NR or CPQ is for licensure mobility. If you want to work outside the VA, just get licensed in the state where you'll be practicing. If you think you'll relocate out of state, and NOT work in the VA system, you can start the NR or CPQ process (NR is easier for early career people to get - it requires 1 year of supervised postdoc experience whereas CPQ requires 5 years of independent practice experience). An alternative is to do the ABPP early entry option if you ever think you'll seek board certification.

I am in the National Register and the only real benefit I get is free CEs. They have a couple of small grant programs too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
The main reasons to get the NR or CPQ is for licensure mobility. If you want to work outside the VA, just get licensed in the state where you'll be practicing. If you think you'll relocate out of state, and NOT work in the VA system, you can start the NR or CPQ process (NR is easier for early career people to get - it requires 1 year of supervised postdoc experience whereas CPQ requires 5 years of independent practice experience). An alternative is to do the ABPP early entry option if you ever think you'll seek board certification.

I am in the National Register and the only real benefit I get is free CEs. They have a couple of small grant programs too.
Yes, I would go for early entry ABPP. The VA likely has a salary increase for board certification, which over time would more than pay for the application and membership fees.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for the information, and I will definitely look into the ABPP option!

What ever credential banking you choose, be sure to include all information from the start. Including complete dates, addresses, phone numbers, etc. Put all of this information in for each piece of credential, for schools, training, work, volunteer work, time unaccounted for, everything. All of this information you'll need for the rest of your career. When you think you are settled into your final destination or career, while practicing there will be a new 3rd party payer that will require all your information from the beginning of time. If you start in the beginning it will serve as a great tool for many years.