Creedmoor Psychiatric Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bth7

It's worth it in the end . . .
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Very little info about the residency training program is offered on the Creedmore website.

I know that its a state facility. I know they have a patient waiting list a year long.

Is this program a diamond in the rough, or a program to avoid? Anyone have the inside scoop?

bth

Members don't see this ad.

This was sent to me from someone who had an IV there.....

Hi there. To be honest, I interviewed there almost 5 years ago, so I'm not sure how useful my opinion would be at this point. The program is considered lower-tier, and has mostly foreign grads. I was somewhat taken aback by the way they had treated me there - very flippant and like they were doing me a favor, even though they had invited me to the "second special meeting with the director."

Other than that, they pay well, and I've known some residents there who said the training was good.

there was a documentary done about creedmore, probably around 10 years ago. i think it was done by HBO. the documentary focused mainly on the art therapy program and i found it really interesting.

i interviewed there last year and have to agree they were a bit "flippant". on the plus side, if i remember correctly the pay and benefits were relatively good for a new york program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Columbia medical students rotate there.

During my psych block, a friend reported that morning rounds consisted of the residents pulling out their paychecks and passing them around while making appreciative cooing noises.

Revised!

Last edited:
Any updates on this place?

I'm going to interview here. Can anyone give any new information?

My guess is sweatshop?

Reactions: 1 user
Just finished IV there. I don't think it's a sweat shop like people said. They have a new PD from what's listed on the website. Very friendly, and you can tell she really wants to elevate the program. The call schedule sounds pretty light, and the patients are chronic. So there isn't much to really manage for them. Also, seems like all the residents get along and are happy. Most of them that were at the hospital came down for the lunch, and was enthusiastic.

Only issue is that that there is a lot of commuting between hospitals. A car there is almost necessary so I heard. It requires driving from Queens all the way to Manhattan on some days. Otherwise, they drop their affiliation with Wyckoff and have a new one with Queen's Hospital for IM/Neurology. Pay is really high for residents, compared to other programs.

Tour was vast, it really change my perception of how state run Psychiatric hospitals are. I mean on the outside it looks scary, even with the metal detectors. Otherwise though, inside looks really clean and organized.

I wouldn't shoot it down as a IMG sweatshop. If you got an IV there Dharma, you should at least check it out. It surprised me by a lot. Just make sure you show early, since traffic is a pain for some reason to the hospital.

Reactions: 1 user
If I was told I had to drive in Manhattan, I'd be done. I hope wherever they're going in Manhattan provides parking.

Just finished IV there. I don't think it's a sweat shop like people said. They have a new PD from what's listed on the website. Very friendly, and you can tell she really wants to elevate the program. The call schedule sounds pretty light, and the patients are chronic. So there isn't much to really manage for them. Also, seems like all the residents get along and are happy. Most of them that were at the hospital came down for the lunch, and was enthusiastic.

Only issue is that that there is a lot of commuting between hospitals. A car there is almost necessary so I heard. It requires driving from Queens all the way to Manhattan on some days. Otherwise, they drop their affiliation with Wyckoff and have a new one with Queen's Hospital for IM/Neurology. Pay is really high for residents, compared to other programs.

Tour was vast, it really change my perception of how state run Psychiatric hospitals are. I mean on the outside it looks scary, even with the metal detectors. Otherwise though, inside looks really clean and organized.

I wouldn't shoot it down as a IMG sweatshop. If you got an IV there Dharma, you should at least check it out. It surprised me by a lot. Just make sure you show early, since traffic is a pain for some reason to the hospital.
Right on! Was just trying to stir the drink a bit there. Have to agree with RP about driving into Manhattan though. That's loco yo!