Criminal Background Check for Away Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M41

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to get my forms together for away rotations and several schools require a recent criminal background check, more recent than the one my school ran right before I matriculated. Anyone have any recommendations on how to get one easily (and preferably cheaply). I've seen a couple websites but am not sure which to use. Thanks for any input.....

Members don't see this ad.

Was wondering the same thing actually, curious to see if anyone has an opinion on the best options.

Go to the police station and you can get one relatively cheaply (~$25) which you can use. Seems like most schools were okay with this.

Otherwise, check with each school because some require one specifically from different online resources. So if there are a few you are interested in check their school specific VSAS page, where most have that info. Unfortunately the few online ones I saw charged >$70...

Members don't see this ad :)
Also check to see if your own school can update your CBG. They will point you to the service through which you got your criminal background check when you matriculated into medical school. Then all you have to do is have your vsas verifications page be updated by whoever is in charge with that stuff at your home school.

I was able to get mine through my medical center's security and ID processing center. It did take a little longer to jump through the bureaucratic hoops but if you have some time before your away rotation applications open you can save some money.

Does your school student affairs dept have information regarding that?