Criminal Record =( PLEASE read

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WannaBDoctor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys
Unfortunately I recently obtained criminal record. I was actually initially charged with a felony, but that charge was obviously way heavy handed, and was dropped immediately, leaving me charged with a few misdemeanors, one of which I will plead guilty to.
My question is, when asked about my history, will I have to mention the charges that were not prosecuted, especially if I expunged them? Also, if I apply this time (class of 2006) while the dropped charges have not yet been expunged and I do not get accepted, when I apply again (for 2007), after these dropped charges are expunged, will the medical schools I previously applied to still see these charges from the previous attempt's background check?
I have great credentials (decent overall grades despite poor premed science grades, will be attending a master's program this year, have good MCATs, lotsa research, a research publication, and clinical experience), and not counting one day's alcohol induced wildness (ironically brought upon after a night of post-MCAT celebratory binge drinking), am a good citizen and contributer to society. Surely, medical schools will see that this was a fluke, and cut me some slack, despite the gravity of my charges, right? Especially if these charges were dropped and expunged (with the exception of the misdemeanor I will make a plea to), and I went into rehab?
I have always wanted to become a doctor, and it is terrible how one night's mistake may ruin my dreams. If anyone has any advice, please share it.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

what are the charges? if they are dropped/expunged, i wouldn't make any mention of them. you will definitely end up talking about the misdemeanor though.

Expunge them... I believe AMCAS does not ask about misdemeanors ANYWAY so don't worry. If they do, you should ask the school what to put. I'd wait til the they're expunged to apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
willthatsall said:
what are the charges? if they are dropped/expunged, i wouldn't make any mention of them. you will definitely end up talking about the misdemeanor though.

Well I kinda don't want to get into the other ones (they are non-violent but embarrassing nonetheless), but the one I will plead to is destruction of property.

If they ask me about the any crimes charged against me, will I still have to mention ones that were dropped or expunged?

i know someone who had a misdemeanor that had been expunged from his record -- also, a felony charged that was plea-bargained and dropped to the misdemeanor. he didn't inform schools on his application, but i do believe you need to disclose it, even if expunged, from your residency and licensing applications. i don't think it's a deal-breaker, though.

about obtaining it from previous applications, i don't know. my hunch is that the schools would look at your previous applications on file since they're alerted to the fact that you're a re-applicant. i can't think of any privacy reasons why they would be barred from doing so. would it be the end of the world to wait until next year when the records cleared?

OnMyWayThere said:
Expunge them... I believe AMCAS does not ask about misdemeanors ANYWAY so don't worry. If they do, you should ask the school what to put. I'd wait til the they're expunged to apply.
Well, AMCAS doesn't ask about them, but the individual secondary applications do require discussing any charges and or convictions.
I don't mind talking about the one I will plea to, which is pretty minor, but the bigger ones (that will not be prosecuted) are the issues that bother me...because while I'm innocent of them, it must only look bad in the eyes of the admissions committee...

As of right now, you haven't been convicted of anything, so there's nothing to report.

After you plead guilty to the misdemeanor, you'll have to report that on any secondary that asks about it, which is most. Crimes for which you have been charged but not convicted (charges dropped) never have to be reported unless you're asked if you've been accused of a crime, which is pretty rare. Innocent until proven guilty, and all that.

Expunging your record would refer to an incident for which you were convicted which was subsequently taken off of your record. Generally, it's best to report expunged crimes on applications. But you don't have any of those.

The AMCAS does not ask about misdemeanors, so there's no concern there. And some schools are only interested in drug-related misdemeanors.

WannaBDoctor said:
the bigger ones (that will not be prosecuted) are the issues that bother me...
Just to summarize my post above, unless there's a conviction, there's nothing to report.

What i've heard is:
If you say "no" at application time, and they find it when your getting a license, you look like a liar, and you won't get a license. So be very careful.

BobA said:
What i've heard is:
If you say "no" at application time, and they find it when your getting a license, you look like a liar, and you won't get a license. So be very careful.

interesting, and i guess not to hard to believe, either. from a totally practical standpoint, though, how would they ever know if it's expunged? i'm wondering how many people never disclose that stuff.

I am filling out this pre-secondary online deal for UF, and here is their question:

Failure to answer these questions will delay your admission notification.

If your records have been expunged, you do not have to answer "Yes".
If you are unsure of your answer, however, you should answer"Yes" and fully declare the incident(s) to avoid any risk of disciplinary action or revocation of an admission offer.

Are you currently or have you ever been charged with or subject to disciplinary action for scholastic or any other type of misconduct at any educational institution?
Yes No

Have you ever been charged with a violation of the law that resulted in, or if still pending, could result in probation, community service, a jail sentence or the revocation or suspension of your driver's license (including traffic violations that resulted in a fine of $200 or more)?
Yes No

If you answer "Yes" to either or both questions you must provide an explanation in the text box below. Based on the incident(s) disclosed, UF may ask for additional information up to and including all relevant court documents.

Would careless driving be considered a minor traffic violation?

GPACfan said:
Would careless driving be considered a minor traffic violation?

For UF, i guess if it resulted in a fine greater than 200$. Other than UF, I doubt it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hijack the thread. Back when I was 18 years old I recieved a ticket for possesion of marijuana under 5 grams or something like that. It isn't classified as a misdemeanor but rather a violation. I hired a good laywer and had the charges DROPPED. I was never fingerprinted, pictured, handcuffed, locked up or any of that stuff that goes along with being arrested. Since this happened I haven't even drank a beer let along smoke weed, never tried any other drugs and I have never been in any other trouble in my life.

My question(s) is/are will this be a problem when it comes time to filling out a secondary application? Every school words what they are looking for differently. Some schools I would not have to list it they way it is worded and other schools it sounds like I would have to. Apparently schools do "CRIMINAL background checks" before matriculation (if accepted) and I am worried that even at the schools were it is not worded as if I would have to list this charge that they are going to find out about the charge and possibly take away a possible seat in the upcoming class. Is this something that would show up on a background check?

If I do list this charge how much would something like this hurt my chances of acceptance? Guys/gals I have been losing some serious sleep over this issue as of late and would like some advice from someone wiser on this issue than myself.

I'm paraphrasing something that was said in an earlier thread, but if you're really that concerned about it, which I imagine you are, how about seeking the advice of a lawyer? If money is an issue, perhaps a friend in law school, or somebody with any knowledge of the law. Asking fellow obcessive pre-med students, many of whom you may be in competition with, may not yield the best answers

I know its not funny, but it is ironic that your situation arose from too much post-MCAT celebrating.

Please talk to a lawyer about your specific issue. You may also wish to consult the state medical assocs. re: the licensure application process in states you may wish to eventually practice in.

You can do a search on sdn and find that this issue is discussed fairly regularly without a clear agreement as to what to do besides err on the side of honesty. There are plenty of people who make a mistake and go on to med school.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.
When med schools do background checks, will they see expunged records? No, right?

WannaBDoctor said:
When med schools do background checks, will they see expunged records? No, right?
Nope. In some states though, it will say "expunged". Check with a lawyer.

WannaBDoctor said:

Only list your convictions. The only thing that will show up on your record is the crime you were convicted of and the disposition (probation or what not).

If it is expunged, normally that info can only be made available to people like invesitgators--not public record.

You could tell them, "Although it has been expunged from my record, I must be honest in admitting that..blah, blah, blah." It will at least make you look honest.

I thought for sure that the DEA asked a question about felony/misdemeanor conviction on my application years ago.

But no - I went to the DEA website and found the questions that they ask:

So you are clear for getting a DEA license to prescribe narcotics once you get thru med school.

-----------------------

4. Background Information

All applicants are required to answer the following 4 questions:
(1) * Has the applicant ever been convicted of a crime in connection with controlled substances under state or federal law?

Yes No
(2) * Has the applicant ever surrendered or had a federal controlled substance registration revoked, suspended, restricted or denied?

Yes No
(3) * Has the applicant ever had a state professional license or controlled substance registration revoked, suspended, denied, restricted, or placed on probation?

(4) * If the applicant is a corporation (other than a corporation whose stock is owned or traded by the public), association, partnership, or pharmacy, has any officer, partner, stockholder or proprietor been convicted of a crime in connection with controlled substances under state or federal law, or ever surrendered or had a federal controlled substance registration revoked, suspended, restricted or denied, or ever had a state professional license or controlled substance registration revoked, suspended, denied, restricted, or placed on probation?

BigSexy said:
I'm paraphrasing something that was said in an earlier thread, but if you're really that concerned about it, which I imagine you are, how about seeking the advice of a lawyer? If money is an issue, perhaps a friend in law school, or somebody with any knowledge of the law. Asking fellow obcessive pre-med students, many of whom you may be in competition with, may not yield the best answers

i agree that asking a lawyer is probably the best bet, but the op's current attorney might not have a clue about what the op should do. are their lawyers out there who specialize in people having trouble getting licensed? if so, they'd be your best bet. please, please, please don't ask your buddy in law school and rely on what they told you because law students don't know jack. really, i've been there.

The only school that I can think of that wouldn't mind alcohol-induced incidents or charges on your record is Loma Linda. They have a really loose policy on abusive substances.