Criteria for interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

member2647

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Step 1 score, rec letters, research, clinical grades. Not sure how they use it, and not sure if anyone really is, but I know nobody asked about Step 2...

The only reason to go out of your way to get Step 2 done early is to improve upon a sub-par Step 1 score. Depending on the tier program for which you're aiming, I think you could call that anything below 220-240. While you're right, there are fewer rad onc applicants, I'd be surprised if a low step 1 score doesn't eliminate you from consideration at some schools, or strongly weigh you down at others. That's not to say you should delay step 2 if you did well on step 1. Take it when it make sense for your schedule, and do it early/kill it if you're working with a low step 1.

After that, yeah it's research and rec letters. Letters are huge in this field. Get good ones from famous people, and get them in before the submission date. Yes you can send them later, but avoid.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. If we take STEP 2 at a later date (say October), wouldn't the programs still see our score before the final rank list is due? Or do programs not care about scores anymore after they've decided to interview an applicant?

Thanks. If we take STEP 2 at a later date (say October), wouldn't the programs still see our score before the final rank list is due? Or do programs not care about scores anymore after they've decided to interview an applicant?

Yeah, you'll be able to send your score later. And I'd say you probably should, although I don't think programs typically have a rule about having to have Step 2 scores in to rank.

The point of taking Step 2 early in order to amend a low step 1 score is to set a program's mind at ease about interviewing you. If you take it in October, you won't get your scores before most programs have decided whom they'll offer.

wouldn't it still hurt their application since schools will see those scores before the final rank?

I'm no program director, but my suspicion is unless you drop substantially, they aren't putting much weight into this. I had PD's on the trail tell me that they basically score everyone based on application, then score the interview day, and then they come up with a "score" and that's how they get their rank list. I don't think these programs have a mechanism for incorporating Step 2 Score later, so if it's decent, it's not gonna factor. If you drop a lot, it might stand out, but even so, they're not gonna reconvene the admissions committee or anything, so whether they'll drop you is hard to say.

Last edited:
school's won't see it unless you allow them to as long as you take it after a certain date. You can also take step 2 after your rank lists are due, unless your med school has some rule in place. It might be that there are some schools that won't rank unless they know the score, UCSF may be that way. Another reason radonc applicants take Step 2 late is that we're expected to do aways for the most part, and earlier is better for the sake of rec letters. Aways and rec letters are more important than making a 380 on Step 2, imo.

For most programs it does not matter. It won't hurt you because virtually no one will go back and check after you leave. I also highly doubt it will "make up" for a bad step 1 score at most places. Just do it when it's convenient.

I don't think step 2 makes up for a bad step 1 ever ( the only thing that may make up for it is really good research, great letters, good clinical grades). Nobody ever asked me about it in any interview. Step 1 did come up and sometimes it is the first question you are asked because the interviewer has a grading sheet so he needs to write it down at the top. Work very hard to do well on step 1. I stressed a lot about the step 2 issue. I asked multiple people about it and never got a clear answer. The most recent program director survey from last year shows very few PDs weigh the step 2 in their decision. The majority of applicants simply don't have it. I did a lot of away rotations and had clinical requirements in my school all during the fall and had no space to take it and do well. Taking it just to take it would have been a complete disaster without the proper time to do well. Work on research and don't worry about step 2. Rock your aways. I'm happy to say that I matched so it certainly isn't "required" for ranking. I know most people didn't even have their scores.

I don't think step 2 makes up for a bad step 1 ever

Well. Step 1 is king, sure. But if I imagine myself evaluating an application, and I see someone with a 210 and a 260 step 2, I feel better about them than if they had a 210 and a 215. It doesn't put you on equal footing with a good step 1 by any stretch, but I think it helps.