Critical Care Prelim Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Encrypted

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do critical care plemin years exist? I've seen a few websites that state "so-and-so prelims are accepted" and critical care will be among the choices.

Members don't see this ad.

I've never heard of a critical care prelim year. Are you sure it's not saying that rotations in critical care will be accepted?

I don't think there's such a thing. I know for a lot of PM&R programs they'll say pre-lim years in IM, Surgery, Transitional Year, Pediatrics, FM, OB-Gyn, and sometimes Psych are all accepted. And I think PM&R is more flexible on that than most other advanced specialties. But the only true pre-lim years out there are in IM, Surgery, and TY's. Anything else just means that you could match into Peds or FM, and then if you decide to change and reapply to PM&R, your first year of that residency counts as a prelim year.

But critical care is a fellowship, not a residency, so I don't think even apply that reasoning could be applied, so I'm really not sure what those programs are referring to. I'm also not sure why you would want to do a pre-lim year in critical care if they even existed--I can't think of any advanced programs where a crit care year would actually be beneficial (I could see one or two rotations being helpful for some, especially anesthesiology).

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think there's such a thing. I know for a lot of PM&R programs they'll say pre-lim years in IM, Surgery, Transitional Year, Pediatrics, FM, OB-Gyn, and sometimes Psych are all accepted. And I think PM&R is more flexible on that than most other advanced specialties. But the only true pre-lim years out there are in IM, Surgery, and TY's. Anything else just means that you could match into Peds or FM, and then if you decide to change and reapply to PM&R, your first year of that residency counts as a prelim year.

I don't know about FM, but there are designated peds prelim spots that are not just the first year of a categorical residency. They aren't common, but they do exist.