Critique my email to research professors please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

regalaf97

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I've been trying to email professors regarding research positions for next semester. Take a little time to look at it please? Just looking for feedback so I can have a good first impression before I potentially meet them in person. Thanks! :)

P.S. I would have filled in the "I personally found ______ interesting," but I am emailing almost ten professors so it will be different for each haha. Thanks again guys!

"Dear Dr._____,

I am a freshman student at ______ currently majoring in Molecular and Cellular Biology. Recently, I have developed a passion for science having taken introductory and several upper-level STEM courses (CHEM 2443, CHEM2444, MCB 2410) and have now begun to search for research opportunities. While doing so, I came across your research webpage and read some information regarding your current activities at the university.

I personally found _____ interesting.

Would you be available to meet sometime this week to discuss your research and my potential involvement? I am available _____. If needed, I can be flexible to your needs in order to make room for a meeting. I would be happy to volunteer in your lab if space is available and would be open to meet your work schedule if needed.

I have attached my resume to my email, but if there is additional information that I have not included that you would like, I would be happy to provide it for you. Thank you very much for your consideration and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Sincerely,
______"

Members don't see this ad.

Take out "having taken introductory and several upper-level STEM courses (CHEM 2443, CHEM2444, MCB 2410)".

I would also take out, "I am available _____. If needed, I can be flexible to your needs in order to make room for a meeting." Clearly you will be flexible to his/her needs since you are a college student and they are an established PhD. You need to appear to recognize that their time is more valuable than yours (sorry to have to say that).

What does "open to meet your work schedule" mean?