Cross Country Move

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pruritis_ani

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to be moving from coast to coast in May for residency. In looking at options on how to do this, it appears there are a lot of ways to go. Since I am going to need my car out there, I plan to drive it. But, for the rest of my stuff...I really don't have a lot, a small one bedrooms apt worth (bed, futon, desk, table, chair, kitchen stuff, books, and clothes). How do I best get it across the country, cheap?

My program reimburses $850 for moving, would like to keep it around that much.

I am thinking the you pack they drive services sound best. Any advice on who to use and not to use? Advice on what to pack and leave behind? Any other cheap way to do this?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am sure you have heard of the pod service. It is kinda expensive but a friend of mine found another company that does the same thing but for half the price.
This website has 5 places that you can get quotes from:
http://www.movinglaborhelp.com/MovingPodLocator.html

pruritis_ani said:
I am going to be moving from coast to coast in May for residency. In looking at options on how to do this, it appears there are a lot of ways to go. Since I am going to need my car out there, I plan to drive it. But, for the rest of my stuff...I really don't have a lot, a small one bedrooms apt worth (bed, futon, desk, table, chair, kitchen stuff, books, and clothes). How do I best get it across the country, cheap?

My program reimburses $850 for moving, would like to keep it around that much.

I am thinking the you pack they drive services sound best. Any advice on who to use and not to use? Advice on what to pack and leave behind? Any other cheap way to do this?

Thanks!

There was a really helpful thread like this, I think about this time last year, so you should see if you can find it. The bottom line is that this website should be your best friend:
www.movingscam.com
Based on their advise I used ABF U-pack to move 1/2 way across the country and it was great--no hassles, no scams, and it was a good deal.
Good luck.

KidDr said:
There was a really helpful thread like this, I think about this time last year, so you should see if you can find it. The bottom line is that this website should be your best friend:
www.movingscam.com
Based on their advise I used ABF U-pack to move 1/2 way across the country and it was great--no hassles, no scams, and it was a good deal.
Good luck.

I just checked out that site. Wow! Scary. I have used Stephens before and it was great, they packed everything but it was really really expensive.
Just got a quote from the ABF place and it is about 1/2 the price of the Pods company. Thanks for the recommendation!
http://www.upack.com/default.asp?refnum=2149

Yeah, the AFB place was my top choice as of post time....it sounds like they are likely to be one of the better services out there. Any other services, or horror stories with AFB?