Crossroads extra year or postbac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Godric

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been wondering now, even though this is very far away for me, I'd still like to have some idea of what to do. Currently in my third year of my undergrad and studying for the mcat, and taking it sometime in July. I think/feel I need an extra year of undergrad classes to boost my gpa, so I figure study for mcat this semester + part of summer, and then come fall take 1 years worth of classes, and then next summer 2013 apply for medical school. By next spring I will technically have fulfilled all the requirements to graduate with a bio degree. But its possible not to file for graduation and just stay and extra year and take classes? Or do a postbac?

How do I decide what path to take?

GPA Story, currently a 3.25c/3.25s
however strong upward trend since spring of sophomore semester, 2 full semesters of 3.7-4.0, and a summer semester with 8 credits 3.7. I've done the math using AMCAS spreadsheet, and a few gpa calculators and if I take ~ 45 credits (35 credits worth of science) I can raise my gpa to appox ~3.5.

So again overall question being, should I just delay graduation (what would I do/take) or do a post bac (what do you usually take in a postbac?) after graduating?

Members don't see this ad.

I could be misunderstanding you, but it sounds like you want to take an extra year of classes after you send in your primary. IMO, this is kind of pointless since your GPA at the time of application is what matters.

But if I have misunderstood you, staying on as a full-time student is the simplest thing to do. I would try to take both easy classes and science classes to make sure you're boosting the science GPA too, if possible. Many post-bac programs are structured for students who have not taken a significant number of their pre-reqs. I would recommend a do-it-yourself post-bac or an SMP if for some reason staying at your undergrad institution won't work.

So I've been wondering now, even though this is very far away for me, I'd still like to have some idea of what to do. Currently in my third year of my undergrad and studying for the mcat, and taking it sometime in July. I think/feel I need an extra year of undergrad classes to boost my gpa, so I figure study for mcat this semester + part of summer, and then come fall take 1 years worth of classes, and then next summer 2013 apply for medical school.

1) By next spring I will technically have fulfilled all the requirements to graduate with a bio degree. But its possible not to file for graduation and just stay and extra year and take classes? Or do a postbac?

2) How do I decide what path to take?

GPA Story, currently a 3.25c/3.25s
however strong upward trend since spring of sophomore semester, 2 full semesters of 3.7-4.0, and a summer semester with 8 credits 3.7. I've done the math using AMCAS spreadsheet, and a few gpa calculators and if I take ~ 45 credits (35 credits worth of science) I can raise my gpa to appox ~3.5.

3) So again overall question being, should I just delay graduation (what would I do/take) or do a post bac (what do you usually take in a postbac?) after graduating?
1) It's common these days for folks to take five years ot gradeuate due to required classes being filled, or change in major. If you need an excuse, then add another major or a minor that would make it easier to get the upper-level courses you want. If you do graduate and then do a postbac at the same school or at a cheaper state school as a nondegree candidate, you don't have registration priority (and may not be eligible for loans) unless you become a candidate for another degree. You don't have to finish another bachelors, though, it's just a paperwork thing.

2) The path you need to take will in part be determined by how strong your MCAT score is. A very high score compensates for a lower GPA to some degree (as long as you don't end with a downward grade trend).

3) There are a few types of postbac. There is an informal type where you take upper-level Bio at your own pace at any school you like. Formal, more expensive programs, meant for GPA boosting, that also come with excellent counseling and great LORs. And there are SMPs (Special Masters Programs, linked to med schools usually, where you compete with current first year med students) which are not a traditional masters, don't lead to a usable degree, very expensive, but are high reward if you earn a great GPA (aim for 3.7+) as they can completely override a lower undergrad GPA. Most require an MCAT score of 30+. Here is a list: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=640302

1) It's common these days for folks to take five years ot gradeuate due to required classes being filled, or change in major. If you need an excuse, then add another major or a minor that would make it easier to get the upper-level courses you want. If you do graduate and then do a postbac at the same school or at a cheaper state school as a nondegree candidate, you don't have registration priority (and may not be eligible for loans) unless you become a candidate for another degree. You don't have to finish another bachelors, though, it's just a paperwork thing.

2) The path you need to take will in part be determined by how strong your MCAT score is. A very high score compensates for a lower GPA to some degree (as long as you don't end with a downward grade trend).

3) There are a few types of postbac. There is an informal type where you take upper-level Bio at your own pace at any school you like. Formal, more expensive programs, meant for GPA boosting, that also come with excellent counseling and great LORs. And there are SMPs (Special Masters Programs, linked to med schools usually, where you compete with current first year med students) which are not a traditional masters, don't lead to a usable degree, very expensive, but are high reward if you earn a great GPA (aim for 3.7+) as they can completely override a lower undergrad GPA. Most require an MCAT score of 30+. Here is a list: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=640302
Thank you Catalystik & dougfunnie. A large part hinges on my performance on the mcat, I suppose I have to wait and see how I preform on it to figure out my next move, thank you.