Crud Grades in HS

glycerol123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a junior in HS. My grades in sophmore year sucked real bad. This year I have improved better. Ever since this year, I have an urge to become a doctor. For some reason, ever since I had that urge in me to be a doctor, I've been doing alot better in HS. Here are my sophmore grades:
AP Biology=F
Honors English=D
Spanish 2=C
Honors Algebra 2-C
P.E=B
AP World History=B

2nd Semester:
Environmental Science-D
Honors English=C
Spanish 2=C
Honors Algebra 2=C
P.E=A
AP World History=B

Junior Grades as of today:
AP US History=B
Honors Pre-Calculus=B
Honors Chemistry=A
Honors English=B
Digital Imaging=A
Spanish 3=C

As of now, I'm considering a CC for 2 years until I transfer into UCLA or UCSB. I heard that Med schools have a disdain for people who take pre-med at a community college. Im definitely majoring in Biochemistry. Which pre-med courses should I not take at a community college.(some of the classes like General Bio and General Chem are pre-med courses also required pre-reqs for the Biochem major.) If I go to a CC and take some of my pre meds there which are required for my major, will Med schools reject me or give me a lower status ranking?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't base your college decisions on your potential interest in medicine. CC -> UC is not rare and will not get you rejected as long as you take science classes at the UC and do well in them (and get a decent MCAT). Right now, worry about continued strong grades, the SAT/ACT, and next year applying to affordable college options you like.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why are you taking honors, and AP courses if you're getting a B in them? Waste of money on AP exams. Nothing will happen if you start at a CC and maintain a competitive GPA. 3.75 to be exact. Major in anything you want.

I was a C student in high school, failed math couple of times, passed Bio with a 72? Barely passed Chem with a 66. Now in college, I have a 3.9x. Morale of the short tale: High school doesn't matter.

I did terrible my first two years of high school, half way through my second year to be exact. I turned my grades around to mainly A's and one B, I graduated high school early with a 3.0. I am currently in my first semester of college with a 3.8 something or higher (I haven't checked recently), I also finished at the top of a difficult EMT class. Anyone can get their **** straight, it just takes the right motivation to do so. I don't want to say anyone can get into medical school because in reality is not everyone can make the cut. However, (this is my belief) as a current premedical student I think that if you have the drive and are willing to put forth the effort and hard work that it truly takes to become a physician, I think a lot of people could do it. It comes down to self-discipline and time-management in my opinion as a student (still a nobody) but over time through reading, doing research and writing some articles for SDN I've come to realize some of the most important principles are self-discipline, time-management, and not procrastinating.

A study conducted by the US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health said that “Daytime sleepiness, sleep deprivation, and irregular sleep schedules are highly prevalent among college students, as 50% report daytime sleepiness and 70% attain insufficient sleep.”

That's one example of effective time management, 70% do not attain enough asleep and I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest premedical students probably get less due to their curriculum intensity.

You can read more of my article here:
http://www.studentdoctor.net/2016/02/study-smarter/

I hope this helps. Feel free to message me or reply if you have any questions or concerns.