C's in prerequisite

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ODorDO

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello yall, im currently a 2nd year undergrad student at csuf, so far i got 3 C's (prerequisites) and potential one more C in prerequisite classes..... now should i try to retake those classes during summer? i dont know wut should i do!! help plz!

Members don't see this ad.

I would get in touch with the schools you're interested in and ask them what they would recommend. I've gotten 3 C+'s in prereqs (and they were all in chem classes too), and my GPA is still decent so I personally am not going to worry about it. I think it depends more on how it affects your GPA, not what classes they're in, but I could be wrong.

C's are fine... I think its expected that you wont do stellar in your first year courses. Just as long as your overall GPA is good a few C's on your records wont matter much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sadly enough, those C's probably won't matter. I still can't believe you can get a 2.8 GPA and become a "doctor"... No wonder optometry is not as respected as it should be.

people with 2.9, 3.0 get into med school. So don't bash on people you don't know.

oh and you can become president too with under a 3.0, look at Bush

people with 2.9, 3.0 get into med school. So don't bash on people you don't know.

They shouldn't be getting in either. I can't figure out why it's too much to ask that someone gets at least a 3.0 to be considered for optometry OR med school. That's only a B average!

here we go again with the grades. for those of you who consider people with a 3.0 GPA as stupid, intelligence is lacking. why can't people realize that grades do not give a full picture of one's intelligence? and besides, it is up to the optometry schools to consider who they wish to accept, not people on this forum who whine about grades being too low. get your head out of your a** and have some concern for your future fellow optometrists.

I wonder why so many blowhards come out of UI or IU (whatever you call yourself). Don't they teach you guys manners? Give it up guys, no one cares what about you guys think.

get your head out of your a** and have some concern for your future fellow optometrists.

I do have some concern. Conern that some people getting in aren't intelligent enough to handle the information and will become terrible optometrists. A question for those of you who seem to think everyone should get in, no matter what their grades: Do you think there should be a minimum undergrad GPA required for optometry school and if so, what would it be? I think it should be 3.0 (and probably higher than that, but I don't want to piss you off any further.)

What's your problem dude? seems like you hate ppl with sub-3.0 gpa. sorry for not being smart enough for you. i dont think there should be a minimal gpa for any school. this is a free world baby. it's what in your heart, not whats in your transcript, yo.

A question for those of you who seem to think everyone should get in, no matter what their grades: Do you think there should be a minimum undergrad GPA required for optometry school and if so, what would it be? I think it should be 3.0 (and probably higher than that, but I don't want to piss you off any further.)

...i dont think there should be a minimal gpa for any school. this is a free world baby. it's what in your heart, not whats in your transcript, yo.

Now lets not get ahead of ourselves here. I'm all for schools downplaying the GPA aspect of admissions and looking carefully at passion for eyecare, extra-curriculars, etc. That said, there has to be some sort of bottom cut off for admission to an intensive professional program like optometry. I'm not saying that the cut off should be 3.0 or that ppl with below a 3.0 can't succeed in opt school, but it would be unfair for schools to admit people who won't be able to pass and will just have to drop out after spending all that money on tuition and equipment.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's your problem dude? seems like you hate ppl with sub-3.0 gpa. sorry for not being smart enough for you. i dont think there should be a minimal gpa for any school. this is a free world baby. it's what in your heart, not whats in your transcript, yo.

I don't hate people with sub 3.0 GPA. I don't know why you think I do. And it's not what's in your heart that always matters. I reeeeeeally want to play pro baseball, but no matter how much my heart wants it, it's not happening. I think getting admitted should be more than just GPA and OAT too, but the schools need to use SOMETHING to evaluate whether or not a candidate is capable of making it through optometry school. And again, you people saying there should be no minimum are basically saying that anyone, no matter how bad their grades, should be able to get in if they want it enough. What about a really driven, devoted student with a GPA of 2.0? Is that still good enough?

I'm not saying that the cut off should be 3.0 or that ppl with below a 3.0 can't succeed in opt school, but it would be unfair for schools to admit people who won't be able to pass and will just have to drop out after spending all that money on tuition and equipment.

Unfortunately, too many schools will still let these students get through if they can pay their tuition bill.

while its true that you do need certain academic standard to succeed in optometry school.... I think GPA alone is too one-dimensional. You have to look at the whole picture as to whether the candidate can succeed in the field or not, rather than just the GPA. And that is exactly what the optometry school does and I am glad that they take other things into consideration. After all, is it fair to accept somebody who live off mommy and daddy's money/house/car and take an easy 4courses/term and ace everything....rather than accepting a student who has to work and volunteer and bus to school and maintain just an average GPA? Or a student who simply had horrible first year marks but managed to do well in the other three years (but after all the pre-reqs have been done?)

I've heard from a few optometry school admissions officers that with GPAs, they do take into account what school the applicant is coming from. They do so because they are aware that some schools may have lower or higher GPA averages compared to others. A 3.0 GPA may be stellar at one school, and subpar at another. In addition, of course they take into account extracurricular activities, work experience, etc.

I've heard the same from other friends who are applying to other health professional schools.

For those who are bitter about 3.0 GPA and below applicants getting accepted, it's a shame to have such negativity. You gain nothing from the bitterness.

To those applicants who have 3.0 & below, don't get discouraged. There are many other ways to strengthen your application. :thumbup:

Again, I'm not saying GPA is the only thing, but I think there plenty of people out there who can maintain at least a B average with all the same hardships as other people who can't keep a B. Personally, I think the ones who handle the pressure AND keep their grades up are the ones you want. It never ceases to amaze me that people think there should be no minimum GPA. You may not agree with a 3.0, but there has to be a limit somewhere.

whether you like it or not gpa in an undergrad institution really has nothing to do with you being a good dr. just because you have a low gpa and get into school doesnt mean you will be a worse dr than someone with a 4.0 in undergrad. many students i have seen have amazing gpas and no social or clinical skills at all. those are the ones that arent going to make it as a dr. and some of the school that pride themselves on having students with the highest gpas and oat scores and whatnot (cough cough berkeley) are the ones that drs that i know of wouldnt dare hire a grad from that school because they just dont know how to interact with patients. just because you get into school doesnt mean you are going to make it thru school and especially thru boards... so really judging people based on how well they did in school when they are 18 or 19 really has nothing to do with anything. hopefully the point of opt school and the boards is to make sure only well qualified people become ods... not just anyone who happens to get into an optometry school or has a decent gpa

I do have some concern. Conern that some people getting in aren't intelligent enough to handle the information and will become terrible optometrists. A question for those of you who seem to think everyone should get in, no matter what their grades: Do you think there should be a minimum undergrad GPA required for optometry school and if so, what would it be? I think it should be 3.0 (and probably higher than that, but I don't want to piss you off any further.)

hey u holes of bum :mad:
ur undergrad gpa does NOT necessarily reflect ur suitability for optometry
there are other, more important, factors in most cases
optometry schools can accept whomever they deem fit for their program
and in the end... EVERYONE WRITES THE SAME BOARD EXAM!!!!!!!!!!!!
hypothetically, if u pass the board exam, you SHOULD make a good optometrist
so if u get into optometry school with a gpa of 2.8 and u are, in fact, stupid, then u arent going to pass the board exam
THUS, there should be nobody making it all the way through optometry school just to become "terrible optometrists"

hey u holes of bum :mad:
ur undergrad gpa does NOT necessarily reflect ur suitability for optometry
there are other, more important, factors in most cases
optometry schools can accept whomever they deem fit for their program
and in the end... EVERYONE WRITES THE SAME BOARD EXAM!!!!!!!!!!!!
hypothetically, if u pass the board exam, you SHOULD make a good optometrist
so if u get into optometry school with a gpa of 2.8 and u are, in fact, stupid, then u arent going to pass the board exam
THUS, there should be nobody making it all the way through optometry school just to become "terrible optometrists"

I agree...your gpa from undergrad does not reflect how well you'll do in Optometry school...

Sadly enough, those C's probably won't matter. I still can't believe you can get a 2.8 GPA and become a "doctor"... No wonder optometry is not as respected as it should be.

some ppl can't get in with a high gpa either....it's the total package dude....

damn medical schools have affirmative action quotas to allow minorities to get in easier. why cant optometry schools do the same?

Of course there should be a minimun GPA for a career in dealing with something as serious as vision. If you cannot get A's and B's in basic science classes (much less difficult than an optometry curriculum) then MOST LIKELY you are NOT competent. I mean, it really doens't take much at all to keep up a 3.0 GPA for someone that is reasonably intelligent and hard working. I can understand someone doing poorly a few quarters and then making up for it with an upward trend in higher division courses, but if you can't generally get A's and B's in basic science courses, you just don't have what it takes. Let's all please remember that optometrists have to remember great volumes of information, and that is all we are asked to do in undergrad...Just recall basic information... Your transcript is absolutely a reflection of your ability/motivation, and sorry to break it to some of you...Optometrists need to remember stuff! That's what your grades say to an admissions committee. That is only one (NECESSARY) part of it though. A successful optometrist brings several other things to the table (including social skills).

CUNIKKI:
Most of the Berkeley optometrists I have met are amazing clinicians WITH social skills. Stereotyping this school (or any) is just ignorant. It's easy to assume a school/students with such amazing stats are lacking somewhere else, but you'll find as many social rejects at any other school as you would Berkeley.

Of course there should be a minimun GPA for a career in dealing with something as serious as vision. If you cannot get A's and B's in basic science classes (much less difficult than an optometry curriculum_. then MOST LIKELY you are NOT competent. I mean, it really doens't take much at all to keep up a 3.0 GPA for someone that is reasonably intelligent and hard working. I can understand someone doing poorly a few quarters and then making up for it with an upward trend in higher division courses, but if you can't generally get A's and B's in basic science courses, you just don't have what it takes. Let's all please remember that optometrists have to remember great volumes of information, and that is all we are asked to do in undergrad...Just recall basic information... Your transcript is absolutely a reflection of your ability/motivation, and sorry to break it to some of you...Optometrists need to remember stuff! That's what your grades say to an admissions committee. That is only one (NECESSARY) part of it though. A successful optometrist brings several other things to the table (including social skills).

Holy cow, someone is on my side. I was just about to give up.

oh and you can become president too with under a 3.0, look at Bush

This is the most halarious comment. Is President Bush your shining example of what good it does for someone with a poor GPA to be in a position of responsibility/power? You just validated all of the opposing arguments, and merely proved yourself to be a person with flawed/poor logic.

You, PepsiSucks, are a shining example of who ought NOT to get into optometry school. :laugh:

This is the most halarious comment. Is President Bush your shining example of what good it does for someone with a poor GPA to be in a position of responsibility/power? You just validated all of the opposing arguments, and merely proved yourself to be a person with flawed/poor logic.

You, PepsiSucks, are a shining example of who ought NOT to get into optometry school. :laugh:

your discrimination of people with less than average gpa makes you look like a stereotypical nerd who still receives allowance from your daddy/mommy. go out and work like a real man and stop whining like a baby.

Nice One! not

Coming from someone who doesn't know **** means a lot? And when the hell did I say bush was my hero *****?

The problem with optometry isn't too many optometrist, but the growing number of pompous condescending a**.

hello yall, im currently a 2nd year undergrad student at csuf, so far i got 3 C's (prerequisites) and potential one more C in prerequisite classes..... now should i try to retake those classes during summer? i dont know wut should i do!! help plz!

retake every class you that got C's. take it whenever you want. don't forget to ace it this time.

your discrimination of people with less than average gpa makes you look like a stereotypical nerd who still receives allowance from your daddy/mommy. go out and work like a real man and stop whining like a baby.

Wah, wah! I'm a "real" man...with a real dirty ass. Wipe my ass, mommy!

Reality check: My newly immigrated parents can't afford ass wipes, much less an allowance for me. Is it possible then, that I think getting above a 3.0 GPA shows....WORK ETHIC?

You two idiots (Pepsi and iproblem) crack me up. Go work on your crappy GPA's instead of getting worked up on a forum.

Wah, wah! I'm a "real" man...with a real dirty ass. Wipe my ass, mommy! You two idiots (Pepsi and iproblem) crack me up. Go work on your crappy GPA's instead of getting worked up on a forum.

And I got banned for saying shut up to a whiner?

Wah, wah! I'm a "real" man...with a real dirty ass. Wipe my ass, mommy! You two idiots (Pepsi and iproblem) crack me up. Go work on your crappy GPA's instead of getting worked up on a forum.

who gave you the permission to call people idiots? come talk to me when you have more than 1000 dollars in your bank account (assuming you have one).

Well, this got ugly in a hurry. One question: why do some here think that people with good grades are getting all their money from mom and dad? It doesn't make any sense to me. I've probably seen it more the other way around. The kids who have everything paid for spend their time at college slacking off and getting poor grades, not good grades.

unlike you, not many of us are born with silver spoons in our mouths. we cant afford lots of things so we have to work for it. don't try to make us look inferior just because you got no money issues to worry about.

whoa, okay. am i the only one that thinks this thread is getting a little out of hand?
We are all adults here, so lets please stop insulting one another and get back on track. Remember, this thread started because ODorDO was looking for some friendly advice as to whether or not they should retake some optometry pre-requisites in which they got a C.
Personally, my advice would be to retake the ones that you think you can do considerably better in, and just leave the others. No matter what anyone says, if you have consistantly high marks and a good OAT score, a couple of Cs are not going to hurt you too much in the long run.
Unless anyone has some friendly constructive advice for ODorDO, keep your comments to yourselves. Name calling and bickering only makes our profession look bad.

Maybe optometry schools should start requiring a class on professionalism...if you can't pass it, you don't get accepted.

To answer the original post, as someone already stated, check with the programs where you wish to apply. I have a feeling they will tell you that retaking the courses will be at your discretion; but to be as competitive as possible they will highly recommend it.

unlike you, not many of us are born with silver spoons in our mouths. we cant afford lots of things so we have to work for it. don't try to make us look inferior just because you got no money issues to worry about.

I hope you're not referring to me, because I haven't gotten one dime out of my folks since high school. I worked my ass off welding at a plant every summer, christmas and spring break throughout college to pay for it and got student loans to pay for the rest. Same with optometry school. And guess what? I made it through both with much better than a 3.0. So again, enough with the BS sob stories. And don't even talk to me about no money issues to worry about. You obviously have no clue.

I worked my ass off welding at a plant every summer, christmas and spring break throughout college to pay for it and got student loans to pay for the rest. Same with optometry school.

wow so your a big shot now? work in the summer and spring break when theres no class. try working close to full time hours during regular school days, then start talking. dude, puh-lease...

wow so your a big shot now? work in the summer and spring break when theres no class. try working close to full time hours during regular school days, then start talking. dude, puh-lease...

Never said I was. You said "unlike you, not many of us are born with silver spoons in our mouths". I was just pointing out that I paid my own way through college and optometry school. I worked enough hours and made enough money during the breaks that I didn't have to work full-time during school. And by the way, while you're in school, that IS your job. If you can't keep the grades up because of a job, lose the job or cut some hours and get a student loan. It's not that hard.

Never said I was. You said "unlike you, not many of us are born with silver spoons in our mouths". I was just pointing out that I paid my own way through college and optometry school. I worked enough hours and made enough money during the breaks that I didn't have to work full-time during school. And by the way, while you're in school, that IS your job. If you can't keep the grades up because of a job, lose the job or cut some hours and get a student loan. It's not that hard.

so easy for you to say it when you obviously have no family to support. i'm talking about working to pay monthly rent, credit bills, and food. your probably still a little kid who still gets weekly allowance from your parents. loans? how can u get loans without a cosigner? you cant'. that's why ppl like us work our butts off to make ends meet. and people like you to make us look inadequate and puny. why don't you go dig yourself out of that ignorance hole where your hiding and see the light?

your probably still a little kid who still gets weekly allowance from your parents.

I'm done arguing with you if this is the best you can come with. I guess you didn't read the post about not getting any money from my parents. And for your information, I have a wife and a daughter, so there goes another one of your theories.

Do what you have to do to get good grades or don't expect to get into optometry school. Of course, this is the way it SHOULD be, but not the way it actually is.

hey, i got a bunch of c's too in the beginning terms of university, but was able to at least get interviewed at all the universities i applied to.. you can retake them if you want but i think you should concentrate on the rest of your classes to balance out those C's with A's to get that 3.0 minimum... and do really well on your OATs because that helps standardize the differences between the undergraduate institutions. more competitive universities will obviously be harder to get that higher GPA but that doesn't mean that you hadn't learnt the material as well as those with higher GPAs at less competitive universities.

wow, you are assuming a lot there that PepsiSucks likes President Bush. it's interesting how i EASILY thought that he didn't like Bush. now who should not be going to optometry school, and what does optometry school have to do with politics anyway?

to everyone that supported my side, you make good points. i especially like the point how people with really high GPAs lack social/clinical skills. this is a point of reality here. people who spend all their waking hours studying miss out on social events. I have a 3.9 cumulative GPA so I know how it is to miss social events. BUT, I do have social skills and I gained them by making the effort and sometimes letting school work slide. Am I an extrovert? I don't think so, I'm more in between like most people, but that doesn't mean that I can't communicate with people. A lot of people that have GPAs as high as mine though, don't have social skills because they become too wrapped up in work. Some of my friends with high GPAs don't have social skills. So why would someone with a 3.9 be saying that people below 3.0 GPA should be able to get accepted? Because I have many friends who don't get as good of grades as I do, and I know they are smart and capable. Should there be a minimum GPA? maybe so, but that is the decision of the optometry schools.

by the way, before you throw stones, check your spelling. it's hilarious. :smuggrin:

a simple question about Cs turns into a thread about people talking about how badass they are because they have high GPAs. just answer the question next time, smart guys.

No kidding, anybody who goes on and bashes these people (on an online forum, nonetheless) lacks class and maturity. My advice to those people arguing and bickering about GPA and whatever else was spewed out is this: Grow up. I don't care if your GPA is a perfect 4.0, if you are that rude and petty, I wouldn't want you coming anywhere near me. I'd find another doc.

Status
Not open for further replies.