General Admissions & OTCAS CSUDH MSOT 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VindexSoli

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am planning to apply to OT schools this summer/fall for the 2024 start date. My top choice is CSUDH and SJSU. I graduated with a degree in allied health. My current stats are as follows:
GPA: 3.8 (one "B" for a prereq - physiology)
GRE: 156V, 146Q, 4.5 essay
134+ OT volunteer hours
150+ general volunteer hours
Currently working as a SPED Aide at a local school (around 200 hours currently)

My question is whether or not I should retake the GRE? My current scores are within the recommended ranges for both schools, but I don't know if I should aim higher to be more competitive? Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I would not be worried, unless your program is one that takes GRE into heavy account. I had a 150/150 GRE, 2.8GPA, and around 60 hours of volunteering, and I got into Jefferson, Temple and Widener’s OTD programs. I had a ton of leadership and community involvement listed in my application, and was able to explain why my GPA was so low, but I had such a well rounded rest of my application that no one part killed me even though my academics were not the greatest (though it’s because I lost someone close to me one semester and was unable to focus, finishing with a 1.5 that semester in an EXTREME outlier to the rest of my time in undergrad). You got this, if I could get into OT school with my stats, you can get in with yours. Just be confident and be yourself, and the admissions committee will love you.

Last edited:
Your stat scores are within the ranges/requirements for CSUDH OT program. I would not be worry too much about retaking the GRE, but I would recommend to get better scores, any way, particularly to improve to Writing score (5>) and Verbal score (>160). You should work on getting the LORs from your OT volunteer supervisor, and other two LORs could be from your undergrad professor, and from your work, too.
In addition, be prepared and think about your personal statement, and try to be very original in your responses to the holistic questions in the applications. This is important.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The decision for 2024 MSOT cohort would usually be out early during Thanksgiving Week, which is next week. Let hope so.

anybody got any updates from the school?
My portal changed its status to admitted yesterday and I received the confirmation email this morning. In past years, they've usually come out the week of Thanksgiving.

Reactions: 1 user
My portal changed its status to admitted yesterday and I received the confirmation email this morning. In past years, they've usually come out the week of Thanksgiving.
Congrats! What other schools did you apply to? Would you mind sharing your stats

Hi all! Since I haven’t seen one made yet, I decided to go ahead and create a Discord server for this year’s cohort. Feel free to join and discuss about the program, upcoming orientation, etc! Join the CSUDH MSOT 2024 Discord Server!

Hi everyone! I was wondering you all are were planning on working while being in school, and if you have heard from other students on how difficult it would be to do that. I know that in the info sessions, the faculty usually recommends not working while being in school, but there are always a handful of students that are able to balance it.

Hi everyone! I was wondering you all are were planning on working while being in school, and if you have heard from other students on how difficult it would be to do that. I know that in the info sessions, the faculty usually recommends not working while being in school, but there are always a handful of students that are able to balance it.
When I went to the information session, one of the current students who attended said she worked part-time in school. I currently don't plan on doing so because I live far from campus so the commute will eat up my free time too.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have plans for housing? I meant to ask this earlier. I live in north OC (rough 30-40mi drive away from campus) and I'm planning on driving for the start of the program. But if anyone needs a roommate for housing, you can hit me up.

Does anyone have plans for housing? I meant to ask this earlier. I live in north OC (rough 30-40mi drive away from campus) and I'm planning on driving for the start of the program. But if anyone needs a roommate for housing, you can hit me up.
I would be relocating from the Bay Area so I am looking for housing too! I just shot you a message