CSUN PT student starting fall 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theamazingantonio

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting this fall at CSUN for the DPT program. Just trying to know more about this school and also see if anyone is starting with me.

A lot to adapt. Like moving, housing and so on. Plus I dont know how to drive. (crying).

Well, looking forward to meeting more friends here. it makes me feel better before the class starts. Cheers

Members don't see this ad.

Hi @theamazingantonio. I also will be starting this fall at CSUN for the DPT program! Im just curious... Have you received anything in the mail about the procedures yet?

Hey there! I will also be attending CSUN for the DPT program in the fall. Is there a Facebook group or something where we can all communicate? I know my friend who just got into CSULB has a Facebook group that they communicate on.

@gtm2424 , I have not received anything in the mail regarding the procedures. Have you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all. I'm probably going to attend CSUN this fall as well. I received an email invite to an orientation this April. Did anyone else get one? I want to attend but my schedule may not permit it.

@ptforgamers , I got the email as well. I'll probably be attending it. Hopefully you can make it!

Your username suggests that you are interested in video games, correct?

If so, do you believe that we, as future physical therapists, can have a positive impact on the lives of gamers? It seems many gamers sit in chairs all day with poor ergonomics and, as a result, have back and/or wrist pain.

@ptforgamers , I got the email as well. I'll probably be attending it. Hopefully you can make it!

Your username suggests that you are interested in video games, correct?

If so, do you believe that we, as future physical therapists, can have a positive impact on the lives of gamers? It seems many gamers sit in chairs all day with poor ergonomics and, as a result, have back and/or wrist pain.

Absolutely. In fact, its my tertiary motivation for choosing physical therapy as my profession. I spent several years after high school working part-time or volunteering for several amateur turned professional gaming teams as an analyst. Out of my first 5 players, 3 had to quit competitive gaming due to health concerns specifically musculoskeletal issues -carpal tunnel, low back pain, and claudication at age 22?!?!?- which is such a shame because I firmly believe that they had the potential to become an internationally renown team. Often times, it is reported as "burnout" but the physical issues contribute significantly to their mental endurance. As of now, the lifespan of a pro gamer is about 2-3 years of competitive play. Compare that to the career lengths in traditional sport (except football but that's for a whole another reason). Post dpt graduation, I want to spend weekends providing preventative physical therapy to the pros I stayed in touch with (and perhaps expand from there) to help them prolong their careers. After all, PT is to help people continue doing what they love doing even if its something that is often frowned upon like the sedentary lifestyle of gamers.

Reactions: 1 user
Absolutely. In fact, its my tertiary motivation for choosing physical therapy as my profession. I spent several years after high school working part-time or volunteering for several amateur turned professional gaming teams as an analyst. Out of my first 5 players, 3 had to quit competitive gaming due to health concerns specifically musculoskeletal issues -carpal tunnel, low back pain, and claudication at age 22?!?!?- which is such a shame because I firmly believe that they had the potential to become an internationally renown team. Often times, it is reported as "burnout" but the physical issues contribute significantly to their mental endurance. As of now, the lifespan of a pro gamer is about 2-3 years of competitive play. Compare that to the career lengths in traditional sport (except football but that's for a whole another reason). Post dpt graduation, I want to spend weekends providing preventative physical therapy to the pros I stayed in touch with (and perhaps expand from there) to help them prolong their careers. After all, PT is to help people continue doing what they love doing even if its something that is often frowned upon like the sedentary lifestyle of gamers.

glad to see another PT student who expresses deep interest in gaming.

a bit about myself - current 2nd year student at Touro University Nevada. while I may not have the same accolades like you, gaming was very pivotal to my PT applications. I shed some light on my extensive experience in World of Warcraft and managing guilds and leading raid teams and used that to reflect my ability to be communicate effectively. I did make a few attempts to re-join my old guild and resume playing and managing, but the time commitment was too much. I have now switched to tabletop and console gaming as the new hobby.

Anyways - I thought you may appreciate this - this may be another avenue of gaming to explore in the world of PT:

If you wanna chat some more feel free to contact me :D

Did you guys get drug tested anytime before/during the program?