Cultural Amalgamation vs. Multiculturalism

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basophilic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How is cultural amalgamation different from multiculturalism?
The way I see it: multiculturalism involves cultures staying separate (like NYC and its disparate clusters of ethnic villages) whereas amalgamation involves formation of a mixed culture (like mestizos and mulattos in 1800s).
Also, more specifically:
multuculturalism: Person A1 (100% Culture A) + Person B1 (100% Culture B) --> Person A2 (100% Culture A) + Person B2 (100% Culture B)

amalgamation: Person A1 (100% Culture A) + Person B1 (100% Culture B) --> Person A2 (70% Culture A, 30% Culture B) + Person B2 (80% Culture B, 20% Culture A)
in other words, would the actual cultural values and beliefs mix?

Or would it just involve residential heterogeneity vs. homogeneity?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry, I just really like refreshing my knowledge by answering your questions. :p

Multiculturalism is the acceptance/tolerance/even promotion of multiple cultures within a single location (city/town/etc.); it's more of a theory about culture than the movement of culture, if that makes sense.

Cultural amalgamation is essentially what you described above. The cultural beliefs/values of Group A and Group B mix to become Group C.

Reactions: 1 user