Curious about Pathologist Assistant prospects

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hedgehogcatcher

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What about the veterinary pathologist option? Getting into vet school is difficult, as you know. I'd think really hard about tossing that away instead of specializing and having the veterinarian certificate that you can use your whole life.

The demand for pathology assistants is pretty good as there are not that many programs out there and it now requires completion of a Masters degree. I don't know where to find statistics as far as job prospects, but I would start by contacting the various programs across the country and ask the admissions department if they have data on this and what their graduates end up doing, as well as where do they go to work. Because, let's say for example there is a program in California and a disproportionately high number of their grads end up going to Arkansas or New England, etc. That may not be a good indicator assuming that a significant proportion of them would want to stay local.

Personally, if I had to choose between the two I would suck it up and go with the veterinary route. My guess is there would be more demand. And there'd definitely be more money (I have heard of specializing in veterinary orthopedic surgery for thoroughbred horses can pay upwards of seven figures). Not to mention more autonomy i.e. PA's can't set up shop and be their own boss. They have to be employed by a hospital or private lab of some sort. And at larger hospitals/academic centers, you will likely have to assist in autopsies, which not everyone is a fan of.

But if you're really miserable as you stated at the outset, this may be worth looking into as a career alternative with what I would say has pretty good potential. Best of luck.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
PA is a pretty good way to go. They pay about 90-100k or so and possibly up from there. That's more than half many pathologists make. I don't think you'd have to worry about autopsies, though any PA could handle the occasional autopsy.

Also, doubt you'd so much if any histology as a PA. It's mostly grossing and hanging out in the gross room, which can actually be fun if you are surrounded by decent people.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a close family member who is a practicing vet. I can say that the demand for vets isnt amazing depending on where you live, and the real way to make money if you do small animals is to be the owner of your practice. My relative has worked for people who arent even vets but could afford to open the practice, and the pay is less than a PA or at most similar. In addition, things like vet pathology is great, but from what I know the competitiveness of vet residencies is very high.

That being said, I think your job as a vet would be far cooler than that as a PA. My relative does their own anesthesia, surgery, medicine, imaging. Path gets sent out, but otherwise its pretty all inclusive. PAs gross, gross, gross. Although lots of gross things are interesting, doing it all day can be a little mind numbing.