Curious about pediatric HPM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

littlecello

Reaction score
Is anyone able to comment on the pediatric only or pediatric track HPM fellowship programs (knowledge of, how competitive), as well as any insight into job market, etc.

I'm a current Pediatrics resident considering applying to fellowship this cycle and finding it difficult to find information. I've looked through the list of programs on AAHPM's website and found that useful, but I'm unsure exactly what I'm in for as far as likelihood of matching since it's such a limited number of spots.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone able to comment on the pediatric only or pediatric track HPM fellowship programs (knowledge of, how competitive), as well as any insight into job market, etc.

I'm a current Pediatrics resident considering applying to fellowship this cycle and finding it difficult to find information. I've looked through the list of programs on AAHPM's website and found that useful, but I'm unsure exactly what I'm in for as far as likelihood of matching since it's such a limited number of spots.

Thanks!

I wish there was more data out there. As you know, saying it is limited is an understatement!

In addition to the AAHPM resources, you can review NRMP Program Results 2017-2021 Specialties Matching Service document.

A quick glance shows these programs tend not to go unfilled.

Given the limited spots, I think it is competitive as you alluded to... that said, some good news. Depending on your goals, you can do a regular HPM fellowship and that can get you what you need. I know of at least a few people that were peds trained, did adult fellowships (not a peds track), then went on to be palliative docs with peds palliative departments. It can be done.

In that scenario, the odds of you not matching somewhere are quite small.

If you want to do palliative, you can make it happen. Peds palliative you the real MVPs!

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Depending on your goals, you can do a regular HPM fellowship and that can get you what you need. I know of at least a few people that were peds trained, did adult fellowships (not a peds track), then went on to be palliative docs with peds palliative departments. It can be done.

Thank you for this insight, I'm glad to know! I will have to seriously consider if that's something that could work for me and whether to apply as broadly as I would likely need to in order to match (meaning, including adult-only programs) - not to be dramatic, but adults are really, really not my thing in healthcare. That said, it's only one year and like you mentioned, it would get me where I needed to be.

Reactions: 1 users