Curious about your thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dudenkem

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious as to your thoughts on applying to the masters in industrial/organizational program at Chicago school of Professional psychology. Any reviews on the program?.

Members don't see this ad.

isn't that a for profit school? if so, you are better off finding a legitimate program housed in an university

what about that school in particular are you interested in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Since business is not academia, I think reputation matters a lot less. The person interviewing you will not really know about diploma mills per se. On top of that, from what I understand, Chicago School of Professional Psychology is pretty well respected, so I don't think it qualifies as a diploma mill

I started grad school at MSU, which also has the #1 I/O program ranked (for whatever that's worth) and have many friends from that program. Reputation is HUGE. Also, make sure you go to a place that will get you very solid stats training. It's all about who you know and the research that you've published when it comes to landing top jobs in this area.

Legit I/O programs will offer multiple (3-4+) stats/research classes. If they just mash together a bunch of touchy-feely pop psych classes you should be very concerned.

*edit*

It looks like they req. 1 stats class….

Here is the curriculum of an I/O program I'm familiar with (a friend attended their Ph.D. program a number of years ago). The Florida Institute of Technology isn't a cream of the crop MS program, but a respectable program that offers the opportunity to matriculate to their Ph.D. program.

Year 1
FALL
PSY 5100 Research Methods in I/O Psychology
PSY 5101 Statistical Research Methods 1
PSY 5401 Introduction to I/O Psychology

SPRING
PSY 5102 Statistical Research Methods 2
PSY 5402 Tests and Measurements
PSY 5415 Organizational Psychology

SUMMER
PSY 5496 Practicum in I/O Psychology or PSY 5999 Thesis or Restricted Elective (PSY)

Year 2
FALL
PSY 5403 Applied Research Methods
PSY 5411 Personnel Selection
PSY 5496 Practicum in I/O Psychology or PSY 5999 Thesis, Restricted Elective (PSY)

SPRING
PSY 5412 Personnel Appraisal
PSY 5421 Industrial Training
PSY 5496 Practicum in I/O Psychology or PSY 5999 Thesis, Restricted Elective (PSY)

Last edited:
The Chicago School is a non-profit. While I cannot speak for that program myself, I know a couple of people that completed the I/O program. From what I understand, the program is respected and well connected with practica around the city. They loved it and are currently working in the field.