Current Army Civilian. Awarded full tuition scholarship. Any benefits to HPSP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Isentropic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All!
I just received acceptance to medical school yesterday after 4 years of applying. Beyond my expectation, I was also awarded a 4-year full tuition (no housing, fees, living costs, etc... though) scholarship also.

I'm also a current civilian employee with DoD (U.S. Army), and really thankful for the government job benefits like TSP, Pension, etc...
Is there any way to remain a federal employee while attending medical school, while receiving some kind of monthly stipend to support myself and the family? I wouldn't need tuition repayment since that is covered by the school. Since I'm married (and my wife does not work), I would have to support family's living costs. Thanks so much for your kind feedback. I greatly appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Just take the loans for livong expense and enjoy the freedom to pick your desired path for residency and employment

The military and federal govt will still be there later

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for the suggestion. I was hoping there was a way to earn some income without taking student loans, while going to school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the suggestion. I was hoping there was a way to earn some income without taking student loans, while going to school.

There is, but it comes at a cost. That cost isn’t worth it for someone who already has a scholarship.

Reactions: 3 users
There is mdssp for guard/reserve which doesn’t cover tuition but is a stipend of about 2100/month. But it’s a 2/1 payback in terms of time. So you would be in the reserves for 8yrs AFTER residency

Reactions: 1 user

Sb247 is correct. The National Guard offers MDDSP which is currently $2270/month before taxes. You will also receive a drill check of $415 before taxes. The service obligation is 1 year for every 6 months of benefit. It also offers STRAP, which is a continuation of your stipend through residency.

I respect that you are debt-averse, but I'd strongly recommend taking out loans for medical school.

You will have MANY opportunities to have the loans paid off after you graduate. If you are interested in continuing government work, you can get $120K of loan repayment via VA employment (depending on your job). You can also join the Army Reserve Corps. You can get up to $240K paid back in 6 years of reserve duty in the Army Reserve or National Guard. Many private employers (Kaiser, etc.) will also give loan repayment.

Given the lack of tuition, your loans will be fairly small by comparison. I would NOT enter into any obligation-binding contracts for the sake of medical school. Particularly ones that can get you deployed. Particularly for someone that did not mention any big drive to join the military. Not worth it.

Reactions: 1 users
I spoke on the phone with an Army recruiter, and he mentioned about the MSSP, where I would get paid during medical school. Would the commitment begin after med. school/start of residency? And does it just involve drilling once per month for the next 8 years? When they say "deployable", what exactly does this mean? Deployed to Afghanistan/Iraq for up to 1 year as a doctor?

Thanks so much.

I spoke on the phone with an Army recruiter, and he mentioned about the MSSP, where I would get paid during medical school. Would the commitment begin after med. school/start of residency? And does it just involve drilling once per month for the next 8 years? When they say "deployable", what exactly does this mean? Deployed to Afghanistan/Iraq for up to 1 year as a doctor?

Thanks so much.
That's usually what deployable means. Time and location will probably vary based on Army needs. If you're not willing and mentally ready to do this then you should not do HPSP.

Sent from my XT1650 using SDN mobile

Thanks so much.
Mdssp is either guard or reserves....

Depending on your unit you might have to drill for points and pay (seperate from the stipend)

Current policy (which can be changed quickly) is docs deploy 90days max with a 30day rampup on either side (120 total)

Thanks very much for the feedback.
It seems HPSP would not be for me. However, I am still interested in the Reserves/Guard since it would provide a monthly stipend.
So assuming I was doing 4 years of MDSSP (Guard), then I would have an 8-yr. commitment? Would I be deployable?
Assuming I was doing 4 years of MSSP (Army Reserve), I could be sent abroad for deployment anytime?

Thanks much.

Thanks very much for the feedback.
It seems HPSP would not be for me. However, I am still interested in the Reserves/Guard since it would provide a monthly stipend.
So assuming I was doing 4 years of MDSSP (Guard), then I would have an 8-yr. commitment? Would I be deployable?
Assuming I was doing 4 years of MSSP (Army Reserve), I could be sent abroad for deployment anytime?

Thanks much.
Yes there is absolutely a chance you would be deployed in either capacity.

I just talked to someone at my office who had enlisted in the Army Reserves couple years ago. They really like it, and said that since I have at least a bachelor's degree, I will be commissioned as an officer.
If I were to do the Army Reserves or National Guard, would I be an officer after accepting the MSSP?
Do medical officers fight in the field, or what exactly would be my role as a medical graduate in the military, if I were to be deployed?

Thanks much again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone comment on the Navy HSCP?
If I were to take 4 years of the HSCP, then I would owe 4 years after medical school? Or is it after residency?
Would I have to serve 4 years as a General Medical Officer (GMO)?

I'm trying to compare between Army MDSSP and Navy HSCP.

Thanks much!

If I were to take 4 years of the HSCP, then I would owe 4 years after medical school? Or is it after residency?

Thanks much!

Remember that with HSCP you don't get a scholarship. They don't pay for school. You are on active duty as an E-6 (E-7 if you were a prior officer) and receive full pay and benefits of being on active duty, but you pay for school on your own. Payback works just like HPSP, you owe the 4 years, but years in training don't really count towards payback.

Would you HAVE to serve 4 years as a GMO? If you fail to match multiple times, yes. If you matched into a residency, then no.

Thanks much!

You are paid as an active duty E7, including full benefits for your family, through all of medical school. They don't pay for your tuition, books, or anything else.
You also earn 4 years towards a military retirement while in medical school, which is arguably the biggest benefit.
Like HPSP you are obligated to apply to the military match unless deferred. You run the same risk of being a GMO as an HPSP applicant (you become a GMO if not accepted to straight through training)
Like HPSP you owe 4 years, outside of training, to the military.

You are paid as an active duty E7, including full benefits for your family, through all of medical school. They don't pay for your tuition, books, or anything else.
You also earn 4 years towards a military retirement while in medical school, which is arguably the biggest benefit.
Like HPSP you are obligated to apply to the military match unless deferred. You run the same risk of being a GMO as an HPSP applicant (you become a GMO if not accepted to straight through training)
Like HPSP you owe 4 years, outside of training, to the military.

You know, it is plagiarism if you don't cite your source. Which is the guy who posted 10 minutes before you. And you misquoted me on the rank info.

You know, it is plagiarism if you don't cite your source. Which is the guy who posted 10 minutes before you. And you misquoted me on the rank info.
Not if you're Melania Trump. For all you know, Perrotfish is Melania Trump.

Not if you're Melania Trump. For all you know, Perrotfish is Melania Trump.

I don't think Melania Trump would have trouble passing the weigh in.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks much for the feedback. I met with the National Guard recruiter today and he said it's a 5-9 month process to join (physical, paperwork, etc...).
I may try out the NG without taking any incentives at first.
Is it possible to start in Army National Guard Reserve and then after a couple months, switch to the Navy HSCP program (active duty)?

Thanks much again for all the help.

Is it possible to start in Army National Guard Reserve and then after a couple months, switch to the Navy HSCP program (active duty)?

This is very very bad idea. You could find yourself attached to a NG unit that refuses to discharge you in order to get the HSCP.

Thanks much for the feedback. I met with the National Guard recruiter today and he said it's a 5-9 month process to join (physical, paperwork, etc...).

Thanks much again for all the help.
If you have nothing needing a waiver there is no reason for onboarding to take 5-9months

How many year to retirement do you have? I don’t think the loan money side of it is as important as the retirement benefits. Also...I would never recommend military med to anyone unless they wanted to serve that population...the money usually isn’t worth it unless you really want to do it.

From what I've read, this just sounds like a bad idea, especially since you haven't made any comments about why you want to deploy multiple times during your career, want to server soldiers, etc.

From what I gather it's all about the short-term monetary gains. Which really surprise me since you state you have free medical school, room and board, etc. If all that is true you can take out some student loans and live relatively comfortably.

The benefits of MDSSP are about $30,000 per year (then take out taxes). So very little money. For 4 years of MDSSP you will occur a minimum of 15 years service time (4 years school, 3 years shortest residency, 8 years payback) that you can't get out of or switch branches. Just realize if you have any plans in the future to work for private practice or in a physician group your military obligation will continuously add a pain in the arse to your civilian career.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. I greatly appreciate the candid comments. This gives me a lot to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk