Current Cycle WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ivyyuh

Reaction score
Hi! I'm currently in the application cycle and have yet to receive any II. Given the Thanksgiving rule, I'm beginning to panic and think I might need to start preparing to reapply. Is there any hope left for me in this cycle?
  • 3.82cGPA, 3.76sGPA
  • 518 MCAT
  • IL Resident, Strong WI ties
  • ORM F
  • T10 undergrad, graduated a year early, double majored in biology and psychology
  • Clinical Experience: 300hrs as a CNA; projected 2000+ hrs currently working full-time during my gap year as a PCT in the ICU (300+ completed already); projected 275hrs as a hospital volunteer as I continue volunteering (100 already completed)
  • Research experience: 300 hrs in a social psychology lab focused on bias awareness within intergroup processes (interpersonal interactions + academia)
  • Shadowing: 40 hrs in primary care; planning on shadowing some intensivists in the ICU later this year
  • Non-clinical: 90 hrs for a therapeutic riding program assisting those with physical and cognitive disabilities; 15 hrs helping remodel a Chicago Public School gym and garden
  • Other Extracurriculars: 1500 hrs as an RA; 50hrs as a tutor for high schoolers (AP classes + standardized testing); 800hrs+ as a barista
School List:
  • Medical College of Wisconsin
  • University of Wisconsin
  • University of Illinois at Chicago
  • Rosalind Franklin
  • Loyola
  • Rush
  • Southern Illinois
  • University of Colorado
  • Dartmouth Geisel
  • University of Connecticut
  • Cincinnati
  • Case Western
  • Western Michigan
  • University of Michigan
  • University of Iowa
  • University of Minnesota
  • Tufts
  • Creighton
  • Vanderbilt (Reach)
  • Northwestern Feinberg (Reach)
  • Yale (Reach)
  • U Chicago (Reach, R)
  • Georgetown (R)
Ultimately, I'm guessing my volunteer and shadowing hours may be holding me back since they're on the lower end. Looking back, I'm not sure if my school list was very strong, considering the reach schools and service-oriented schools, although I tried to apply to most of the midwest schools given my residency. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hard to say, but your intuition on your hours is on target. I would like to see more shadowing hours (you claim 40, so get to at least 50 to 100) and non-clinical community service hours (get to 50 with the public garden/school remodel; need 150 minimum in a service orientation activity). I'm okay with therapeutic riding, but try to get more hours there too (at least 100). Rush and Loyola generally like to see a minimum of 500-800 hours of community service orientation activities.

Reactions: 1 users