Current DPT Student AMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zimbabwe9

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I hope everyone is staying safe during these tough COVID times! I am a current DPT student and haven't really seen too many AMA posts so I figured I would start one if anyone has any questions! I'd be more than happy to answer questions about PT school, Interviews, cost, or anything else that comes to mind!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How do you manage a school-life balance and not feel guilty about taking time to relax/have fun?

Reactions: 1 user
How much debt will you have once you graduate and what school do you go to?

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you manage a school-life balance and not feel guilty about taking time to relax/have fun?
This is a great question! Honestly, my first semester was finding the right balance between school and relaxing. It's something that I still struggle with because I often feel guilty about going out and having fun, feeling like I should be studying or doing something productive. It's important however to take time to yourself. Go out, have fun! I enjoy taking my dogs for long walks after class, going out and getting food with friends on the weekends! It's important to take some time off and decompress! PT school is long and hard so it's important to be able to figure out a method that allows you to decompress and have fun! It will definitely take some time to figure things out, but if theres a will, theres a way!

Reactions: 1 users
How much debt will you have once you graduate and what school do you go to?
Great question! The cost to attend my program is around 125k for all 3 years. My family is helping me pay for my housing but I did take a little bit of extra money per semester for living expenses. I'm anticipating around 140k in total loans at the end of my PT school.

What age are most of your classmates what are the outliers?

How are you handling distance learning?

Is there anything you think is lacking from your program?

What age are most of your classmates what are the outliers?

How are you handling distance learning?

Is there anything you think is lacking from your program?
Thank you for the questions!

Most of the students in my cohort are roughly 23-25 years old. We have a few that are younger (around 22), and some members of the class are older (late 20's, early 30's that had a career change).

The lecture material is conveyed via collaborate or zoom and labs are still being held in person. The online lecture material is definitely a challenge at times, but the professors are extremely supportive! I'm handling the distance learning by ensuring I am on top of all of the material that is being covered and asking questions on anything I am still confused on. Early in the semester I found myself behind on material and it was extremely hard to catch up. So my biggest piece of advice is stay on top of everything!!!!!

The lacking question goes in hand with the question above. I think that some of my professors give extra "homework" which has its pros and cons. I would say one thing is limiting the extra homework would allow me to focus on studying for exams more. Also, I wish all of the material was synchronous. The asynchronous methods make it extremely hard to stay on top of those classes.

This is a great question! Honestly, my first semester was finding the right balance between school and relaxing. It's something that I still struggle with because I often feel guilty about going out and having fun, feeling like I should be studying or doing something productive. It's important however to take time to yourself. Go out, have fun! I enjoy taking my dogs for long walks after class, going out and getting food with friends on the weekends! It's important to take some time off and decompress! PT school is long and hard so it's important to be able to figure out a method that allows you to decompress and have fun! It will definitely take some time to figure things out, but if theres a will, theres a way!
Thank you!

@Zimbabwe9

Definitely the pace and quantity of information is nerve wracking, but I figure that if others have done it, so can I.

Do you feel as if your cohort is close and open to helping others?

You're awesome for starting this thread!

While I have a solid work ethic, I'm getting increasingly nervous about how hard PT school will be. How has it been compared to what you expected it to be? What has been the hardest part/ class you've had?

@Zimbabwe9

Definitely the pace and quantity of information is nerve wracking, but I figure that if others have done it, so can I.

Do you feel as if your cohort is close and open to helping others?
I feel that my cohort has definitely grown together during these hard times. We have a google doc where we all put our notes in and that really helps out. The on campus lab that we have a few days a week definitely helps!

You're awesome for starting this thread!

While I have a solid work ethic, I'm getting increasingly nervous about how hard PT school will be. How has it been compared to what you expected it to be? What has been the hardest part/ class you've had?
Don't be nervous! Make sure you continue utilizing your strengths that you have accumulated throughout undergraduate! It's definitely hard and stressful at times, but extremely rewarding! The hardest part was adapting to the online learning and distributing the appropriate amount of time between all of my classes! I would say the hardest class I've had thus far would be pathology. Each exam contains a lot of information and you have to work thru a variety of case studies to come up with a potential diagnosis/issue. Knowing all of the contraindications, possibilities, etc and knowing how to rule out diagnosis all play a role in answering the questions correctly.

Thanks for this thread! Like others have said I am also nervous about how hard PT school will be. What school do you go to and how do you plan on tackling your 140k of debt after graduation?

Thanks for this thread! Like others have said I am also nervous about how hard PT school will be. What school do you go to and how do you plan on tackling your 140k of debt after graduation?
Sorry for the late response! it's been a hectic week! Don't be nervous about PT school. The admissions committee and the program you're attending chose you because they believe in you and your ability to succeed! Continue to utilize your strengths from undergrad, and adjust them as needed! For example, my time management skills from undergrad were one of my greatest downfalls. Although in undergrad they might have had minimal consequences, in PT school these bad habits were magnified much more. My first year was definitely an adjustment period! Use your strengths to your advantage!! I plan on tackling my 140k of debt after graduation by working as a travel-therapist. I think that this will allow me to pay off more of my student loans in a shorter time frame, while allowing me to travel and find a place to plant my roots. Other classmates are considering re-financing, etc.