Current or former RNs!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Newtonian21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
RN here! I've been around here for a while now. Could any current or former RN(now in med school) give an input in my case? Thanks! Here's what's going on. I work in a CVICU, and I've worked in ER before now. Been a nurse for two years. I made the decision to pursue medicine last year due to my experience as a nurse. Well guess what since my managers and coworkers( some not all) knew that I'm in school to complete prereqs for med school, they've shown some antipathy in a way towards me. There are even some training I'm supposed to have by now so I can take care of more sicker patients but I keep being bypassed and even newcomers get to do some things before me. Well I'm not worried. They give several excuses for it. But I'm just trying to see if any current or former RN has experienced low supports and dislike from work as soon as coworkers and managers found out they want to pursue medicine. Any input appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

RN here! I've been around here for a while now. Could any current or former RN(now in med school) give an input in my case? Thanks! Here's what's going on. I work in a CVICU, and I've worked in ER before now. Been a nurse for two years. I made the decision to pursue medicine last year due to my experience as a nurse. Well guess what since my managers and coworkers( some not all) knew that I'm in school to complete prereqs for med school, they've shown some antipathy in a way towards me. There are even some training I'm supposed to have by now so I can take care of more sicker patients but I keep being bypassed and even newcomers get to do some things before me. Well I'm not worried. They give several excuses for it. But I'm just trying to see if any current or former RN has experienced low supports and dislike from work as soon as coworkers and managers found out they want to pursue medicine. Any input appreciated!
Why would a company keep investing in you as a nurse if you've announced you want to jump ship? You are a bad investment at this point. I'd keep my head down and get through those prerequisites

Reactions: 1 users
Why would you tell them your plans for applying to medical school and why are you surprised of the outcome?

Members don't see this ad :)

Hey, welcome. I concur with what @sb247 said. Letting them know what you're up to is a rookie mistake. You've been in your unit less than two years. That's a blip in some nurse manager's radars, yet you're already on your way out. I wouldn't be surprised if that's a major reason why they're not investing in you. As for your coworkers... same thing. I feel deeply irritated by nurses who use my unit as a spring board for CRNA school and do not even have the decency to hide it. My reaction is immediate and reflexive. Many nurses love their profession and their units. Don't be surprised that they're offended you want to leave it so soon.

And since you're asking for personal experience: since I've dropped down to part time, my manager has stopped investing in me as well. I really don't blame her. I'm just grateful to still have a job I love. That being said, I'm pretty sure she wouldn't outright refuse me if I asked for more training.

Reactions: 1 user
Why would a company keep investing in you as a nurse if you've announced you want to jump ship? You are a bad investment at this point. I'd keep my head down and get through those prerequisites
Thanks for all your replies. I do not want them to invest in me and I do not care for their plan I've seen nursing at its best and worst. I just wasn't quite sure why coworkers would feel resentful somehow because they know you're planning med school. I thought they'll be encouraging but I guess this is what this path takes and I'm ready for whatever comes my way to become an MD. I'll keep my head straight as you said. I'm almost done with my prereqs planning MCAT too.

Thanks for all your replies. I do not want them to invest in me and I do not care for their plan I've seen nursing at its best and worst. I just wasn't quite sure why coworkers would feel resentful somehow because they know you're planning med school. I thought they'll be encouraging but I guess this is what this path takes and I'm ready for whatever comes my way to become an MD. I'll keep my head straight as you said. I'm almost done with my prereqs planning MCAT too.
you are aiming for something that will pay you 2-5 times what they make and unless their legislative efforts continue undaunted put you in charge of their activities....a lot of people dislike those who achieve/aim for something "higher"

Telling your fellow coworkers about your plans may possibly be the worst things an RN aspiring to be MD/DO do. In the health field there will always be those around who will not support your decision in switching sides. It's like in the icu when we have new grads come out in the blue and say they just want to be here for a year and apply for the CRNA program. That's when it hits them hard. They soon to realize they've embarked in a journey in hell when they find that they usually end up with heavy teams, get micromanaged whether it be constant chart/room audits and get verbally warned for ridiculous things. Being in the icu for awhile, I've seen it happen a lot.

Hey, welcome. I concur with what @sb247 said. Letting them know what you're up to is a rookie mistake. You've been in your unit less than two years. That's a blip in some nurse manager's radars, yet you're already on your way out. I wouldn't be surprised if that's a major reason why they're not investing in you. As for your coworkers... same thing. I feel deeply irritated by nurses who use my unit as a spring board for CRNA school and do not even have the decency to hide it. My reaction is immediate and reflexive. Many nurses love their profession and their units. Don't be surprised that they're offended you want to leave it so soon.

And since you're asking for personal experience: since I've dropped down to part time, my manager has stopped investing in me as well. I really don't blame her. I'm just grateful to still have a job I love. That being said, I'm pretty sure she wouldn't outright refuse me if I asked for more training.
Hi there! Thanks. I do not actually need the personal experience or asked for it. It's part of the unit routine. I mentioned this just because of some of the things that seems apparent to me. But I get how it goes now. Keeping my straight to finish my prereqs.

As a nurse myself too who is "jumping ship" I really don't see a point on why any of your co-worker or manager should care about what you're doing with your life. I really think it could all stem from jealousy. We're so busy on my unit that everyone is praying they're not walking in on a **** show or under staffed. Nobody cares or has time to be pondering about another person's plan.

Telling your fellow coworkers about your plans may possibly be the worst things an RN aspiring to be MD/DO do. In the health field there will always be those around who will not support your decision in switching sides. It's like in the icu when we have new grads come out in the blue and say they just want to be here for a year and apply for the CRNA program. That's when it hits them hard. They soon to realize they've embarked in a journey in hell when they find that they usually end up with heavy teams, get micromanaged whether it be constant chart/room audits and get verbally warned for ridiculous things. Being in the icu for awhile, I've seen it happen a lot.
This is very true! I only told my manager about the plan when she kept questioning me of why I was taking classes blah blah blah. But I can't hide it anymore. I'm ready for the worst to sit down for MCAT crush it and move on. I know this path wasn't gonna be easy but never was it easy but I'm optimistic every single day. Thank you so much!

This is very true! I only told my manager about the plan when she kept questioning me of why I was taking classes blah blah blah. But I can't hide it anymore. I'm ready for the worst to sit down for MCAT crush it and move on. I know this path wasn't gonna be easy but never was it easy but I'm optimistic every single day. Thank you so much!

Your unit sounds petty and malignant. Just focus on you. The hospital will move on with or without you. Do you.

I recall a couple of occasions where I was questioned by peers as to what am I taking my classes for. I usually BS to them that it's for my masters, they didn't bother asking ever since. Like others mentioned, I believe it stems from jealousy. You are on your way to becoming what quite a few nurses resent, so it is in their nature to give you hell about it.

Sigh.

Hey, OP. I know you get it now, but I just wanted to say something in response to some of the other "insight" you've gotten here. Please do not allow yourself to get pulled into the delusion that people are jealous of you because you're on this path/of your future earnings/etcetera. No one is jealous of us. No one is resentful of us either; nurses who chose nursing as a profession and are just trying to get through their shifts - and managers who are just trying to keep their units afloat - really couldn't give two sh*ts about our awesome dreams and our awesome futures in medicine. That's not malignant pettiness or antipathy; that's just indifference.

All that said, I do wish you the best of luck. Crush that MCAT and hope to see you on the other side!

Hi there! I am an RN, just hitting my 3-year anniversary at the hospital where I work. I must admit I have been blessed to work with the greatest team of hard-working, motivated, caring individuals I have ever met. Many of them are in school for their NP or other Nursing Masters' degrees, and knew I was in school too, but I sheepishly avoided answering their questions. Several times a week I would get "hey how's school going for you? what classes are you taking?" and always the "what degree are you going for again?" I awkwardly replied I was "just taking some pre-reqs to figure out what I really want to do." About a year and a half into working on my pre-reqs for med school, I finally apologized for being shady and dodging their questions and always changing the subject when school came up, and admitted that I am shooting for med school. Before this job, I had told other nursing classmates, colleagues, peers, etc. my intentions to one day go to med school and was met with some HARSH criticism ("why bother nursing? don't tell your boss you'll get fired! so what, nursing isnt good enough for you??"), so I learned to keep my mouth shut. But after working with the best crew for the past few years, they actually congratulated me and have been offering overwhelming kindness and support. They couldn't understand why I had kept it under wraps for so long!! Overall, I absolutely do not regret waiting to tell my coworkers that I'm pursuing med school. Over that time, we bonded through work and commiserated over homework after long shifts, and I think having gained their love and respect, I was finally comfortable telling them what's up, and they were just happy to see me doing what I want to do. I guess I would recommend the same to any other RN looking to go for their MD: wait to make sure you trust your peers, but then again, I have to reiterate how very lucky I am to have such a great, supportive group of coworkers. I wish anyone the best of luck, and always love any RN-to-MD stories! Please share more!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi there! I am an RN, just hitting my 3-year anniversary at the hospital where I work. I must admit I have been blessed to work with the greatest team of hard-working, motivated, caring individuals I have ever met. Many of them are in school for their NP or other Nursing Masters' degrees, and knew I was in school too, but I sheepishly avoided answering their questions. Several times a week I would get "hey how's school going for you? what classes are you taking?" and always the "what degree are you going for again?" I awkwardly replied I was "just taking some pre-reqs to figure out what I really want to do." About a year and a half into working on my pre-reqs for med school, I finally apologized for being shady and dodging their questions and always changing the subject when school came up, and admitted that I am shooting for med school. Before this job, I had told other nursing classmates, colleagues, peers, etc. my intentions to one day go to med school and was met with some HARSH criticism ("why bother nursing? don't tell your boss you'll get fired! so what, nursing isnt good enough for you??"), so I learned to keep my mouth shut. But after working with the best crew for the past few years, they actually congratulated me and have been offering overwhelming kindness and support. They couldn't understand why I had kept it under wraps for so long!! Overall, I absolutely do not regret waiting to tell my coworkers that I'm pursuing med school. Over that time, we bonded through work and commiserated over homework after long shifts, and I think having gained their love and respect, I was finally comfortable telling them what's up, and they were just happy to see me doing what I want to do. I guess I would recommend the same to any other RN looking to go for their MD: wait to make sure you trust your peers, but then again, I have to reiterate how very lucky I am to have such a great, supportive group of coworkers. I wish anyone the best of luck, and always love any RN-to-MD stories! Please share more!
I agree! More success stories please! On the ward I work on (HIV/Infectious Diseases) there is 3 docs, including the attending, who all started off as nurses in their career! Pretty amazing!

Your unit sounds petty and malignant. Just focus on you. The hospital will move on with or without you. Do you.

I agree with toutou. My co-workers, manager, and supervisor are 100% supportive of me. Even the doctors at work know I'm applying to med school and I even managed to shadow a few I like.

Quitting is an option OP. I've quit a previous job because they didn't want to work with my school schedule. My current job pays much less than other places, but it's been the best place I've worked in 6.5 years of this career. I've even quit an icu gig in a big, teaching, and trauma 1 hospital due to management. I didn't care how it'll look on my resume. You can go anywhere you want OP, don't feel trap and unhappy.

Reactions: 2 users
It just depends how much you trust your peers and how supportive they are. Some are fortunate enough to build up a good rapport with their peers and receive support. But witnessing it firsthand of how ugly it can get in our field, I would highly recommend to any RN's wanting to transition to MD/DO to keep it discreetly as possible, just until they are ready to apply at least.

I agree with toutou. My co-workers, manager, and supervisor are 100% supportive of me. Even the doctors at work know I'm applying to med school and I even managed to shadow a few I like.

Quitting is an option OP. I've quit a previous job because they didn't want to work with my school schedule. My current job pays much less than other places, but it's been the best place I've worked in 6.5 years of this career. I've even quit an icu gig in a big, teaching, and trauma 1 hospital due to management. I didn't care how it'll look on my resume. You can go anywhere you want OP, don't feel trap and unhappy.

Mine were too. Nobody gave a flying F**K as long as I showed up to my shift and I was willing to pick up some overtime hours lol. Then again, my personality is pretty unyielding and I'm very confrontational not in a ratchet way but I will stand my ground and have the most experience in all specialty. They know better not to F**k with me. Maybe you just need to develop that attitude.

I work in an ICU as well. My colleagues are nothing but supportive. Even one of my attendings refers to me as "student doctor". I am grateful to work alongside people who motivate and encourage me. It sounds like you work in a malignant environment, but like others have said, why would a manager invest in you? Especially since you made it clear you will not be sticking around?