Current Residents - Be Aware

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Consigliere

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current anesthesiology residents: read the article and listen to this guy. He's got his finger on the pulse of the future. Now, I'm not saying that being an employee of an AMC is necessarily a bad thing, but you should embrace that mindset. Say "I will be an employee of (fill in the name of your future AMC employer) and love it!" Do this and you'll be fine.

http://www.themiddlemarket.com/news...uyers-wake-up-to-anesthesiology-255976-1.html

Members don't see this ad.

WOW!!

From the video.
It's going to continue (mergers and consolidation) until it's done and until there are no independent physicians left. Why is that the goal I wonder?

Reactions: 1 user
WOW!!

From the video.
It's going to continue (mergers and consolidation) until it's done and until there are no independent physicians left. Why is that the goal I wonder?

It's the goal for investors, because it's a good investment. It is not the goal of physicians- they just get sucked in with a big paycheck upon selling their group.

Members don't see this ad :)
Medical-care providers are teaming up all over the health care industry to reduce costs and to strengthen their negotiating positions with insurance firms. The trend is particularly evident in the field of anesthesiology, in which smaller groups are quickly realizing the benefits of bigger buyers, including collective bargaining power. Anesthesiologists are also influencing M&A among innovative drug makers. (For more, see the video Regulation Drives M&A, Especially in Health Care.)

As a sign of heightened interest in the medical specialty, investment bank Cross Keys Capital has six anesthesiology practice clients currently under letters of intent with a variety of suitors, plus another six privately held anesthesiology practices on the auction block. The practices are feeling pressure from insurers such as Aetna Inc. (NYSE: AET) and Blue Cross Blue Shield over the lowering of reimbursement rates, explains Cross Key co-founder Bill Britton. Now more than ever, smaller companies are welcoming Mednax (NYSE: MD), TeamHealth (NYSE: TMH) and AmSurg Corp. (Nasdaq: AMSG) as suitors.

Larger groups are in a stronger position to negotiate higher fees with insurance companies, Britton says. They can push for their higher rates over some of the lower reimbursements that companies such as Mosaic Anesthesia & Perioperative Services PC and Memac Associates PC might have received as stand-alone entities in the past. Mednax bought both companies earlier in 2015.

As hospitals look to cut costs, anesthesia stands out as a service that can't be outsourced to offsite third parties, because anesthesiologists need to be present in operating rooms. Advancements in the field can create attractive assets. If physicians consider a new anesthetic a hit, the company that makes it could become a desirable target.

The Medicines Co. (Nasdaq: MDCO) bought all of the shares of Annovation Biopharma that it didn't already own. The goal was to gain exclusive rights to a new anesthetic that may help patients wake up more safely after surgery.

For private equity investors, the early returns on anesthesiologist groups have been favorable, according to Jeff Swearingen, co-founder of Edgemont Capital Partners LP. Swearingen says early exits from private equity firms have been successful, including MTS Health Investors' sale of portfolio company Florida Gulf-to-Bay Anesthesiology Associates to TeamHealth

http://www.themiddlemarket.com/news...uyers-wake-up-to-anesthesiology-255976-1.html

Last edited:
Medical-care providers are teaming up all over the health care industry...

I really think you should give attribution when you post like this Blade. Otherwise some people might confuse this as you crafted it on your own as an original idea/post. Most forums (I believe this one as well) have fairly strict copyright protocol and fair usage restrictions. I mean, you didn't even put it in quotes.

Original source:

The blowhard in the video seems to think that independent physicians is aBAD THING.Then at the end he says that dentists will remain independent because inherently they are independent and physicians are not. WTF.. Is that not a bunch of BS.

Reactions: 1 users
Current anesthesiology residents: read the article and listen to this guy. He's got his finger on the pulse of the future. Now, I'm not saying that being an employee of an AMC is necessarily a bad thing, but you should embrace that mindset. Say "I will be an employee of (fill in the name of your future AMC employer) and love it!" Do this and you'll be fine.

Private groups haven't been good for new grads either. When I came out of fellowship I had groups offering me mid 100's with a 3-4 yr track, while AMC's were offering double. Of course all those groups disappeared (mostly because they had idiots at the helm). I would have been totally screwed had I chosen a partnership track.

My recommendation to new grads is not to get married to a job based on future promises. Go for the job that is better now. Which basically means stay away from partnerships.

Reactions: 2 users
Private groups haven't been good for new grads either. When I came out of fellowship I had groups offering me mid 100's with a 3-4 yr track, while AMC's were offering double. Of course all those groups disappeared (mostly because they had idiots at the helm). I would have been totally screwed had I chosen a partnership track.

My recommendation to new grads is not to get married to a job based on future promises. Go for the job that is better now. Which basically means stay away from partnerships.

That's just plain thievery

Members don't see this ad :)

That's a simple answer and a good way to end up with a decent job, but it almost assuredly prevents you from the chance of ever having a great job. When it comes to partnerships, the answer is always that it depends.

How long is the partnership track?
How many (or what percentage) of people hired on that track didn't end up making partner?
How much money do the partners currently make and what are their prospects for the next 5-10 years?

You might find a nice employed job paying you $350K a year plus decent benefits or a similar 3 year partnership track starting at $250K a year (and progressing by 50K per year) at a job where the partners make 600K and they've never not made somebody partner. In the short term the employed position is better, but over 5-20 years, it's hard to envision a scenario that the partnership track isn't a better offer.

At the end of the day, people will pay for QUALITY, and that means MD/DO Anesthesia in a PRIVATE setting. Apple has shown this time and time again in their industry, as they are worth over 700 Billion. CRNAs are like a sh*tty Huawei cell phone that breaks down on you when you need it the most. Can it get the job done most of the time? Yes. But that's exactly the point.

At the end of the day, people will pay for QUALITY, and that means MD/DO Anesthesia in a PRIVATE setting. Apple has shown this time and time again in their industry, as they are worth over 700 Billion. CRNAs are like a sh*tty Huawei cell phone that breaks down on you when you need it the most. Can it get the job done most of the time? Yes. But that's exactly the point.
People couldn't care less who gives them anesthesia and they will always pick the cheaper option.

People couldn't care less who gives them anesthesia and they will always pick the cheaper option.
For the first time in years, I was asked last week whether I was a nurse anesthetist or a physician. Most patients couldn't care less. They don't even know you are a doctor, not a tech or a nurse. Especially since the (body) language of half of the surgeons suggests that you don't matter.

Reactions: 2 users
Are they confused when you say "hi, I'm dr.ffp. Your anesthesiologist"?

Are they confused when you say "hi, I'm dr.ffp. Your anesthesiologist"?
Yep. I actually say "Hi, I am Dr. FFP, your anesthesia doctor."

Still, the patient wanted to be reassured, at the end of the interview, that I was a physician. Maybe s/he's met a DNAP before. :)

Yep. I actually say "Hi, I am Dr. FFP, your anesthesia doctor."

Still, the patient wanted to be reassured, at the end of the interview, that I was a physician. Maybe s/he's met a DNAP before. :)

Met a pt in preop, he was a nurse with DNP and some other nurse letters. Anyway the point is that after he told me that he got his "doctorate" from Duke I asked him how he liked the research triangle and some other garbage about Duke. He looked confused or annoyed and admitted that they were online degrees. So I said "that's ok, my MD was also online."

That last bit isn't true unfortunately.

Met a pt in preop, he was a nurse with DNP and some other nurse letters. Anyway the point is that after he told me that he got his "doctorate" from Duke I asked him how he liked the research triangle and some other garbage about Duke. He looked confused or annoyed and admitted that they were online degrees. So I said "that's ok, my MD was also online."

That last bit isn't true unfortunately.
You should have said it and waited for his reaction.

I interviewed our first DNAP prospective employee a few months ago. I made it clear that in our practice, you will not be referred to as Doctor, nor will you refer to yourself as Doctor to any patient or staff member in our hospital.

You should have said it and waited for his reaction.

I interviewed our first DNAP prospective employee a few months ago. I made it clear that in our practice, you will not be referred to as Doctor, nor will you refer to yourself as Doctor to any patient or staff member in our hospital.

Did you yell at her/him like this with finger pointing as you were making it clear to the crna about being referred to as doctor?

man-pointing-finger-at-woman.jpg

YOU WILL NOT BE CALLED A DOCTOR WHILE I AM AROUND. NOT NOW. NOT EVER!!!!!
5477086-A-middle-age-man-yelling-and-pointing-during-an-argurment-Anger-Managment--Stock-Photo.jpg

I made it clear that in our practice, you will not be referred to as Doctor, nor will you refer to yourself as Doctor to any patient or staff member in our hospital.

images

That might be true now because of the pts have no way of looking at individual outcomes.

There was an interesting paper in A&A, or Anesthesiology, last month correlating outcomes in cardiac surgery for individual anesthesiologists. Some anesthesiologists had consistently great outcomes and some consistently did not.

I'm sure most people, who can afford it, would pay more to have the anesthesiologist with the better outcomes.

How did he respond to that?
She said no problem. There's a lot more applicants than there are positions available. ;)

If a nurse called themselves a doctor, oh boy, heads would roll.

Our medical staff bylaws forbid them from referring to themselves as a doctor to a patient within the hospital.

Someone will care when the patient is ****ing dead. Trust me on that one.
Don't over estimate the IQ of the general public in our society, they are mainly functioning on the lowest processing power needed to get by, nothing more. But I agree, when they get hurt or their loved one dies they start to wonder if they got the best care because if they didn't then it's a great opportunity to sue someone and make some money, basically it's equivalent to playing the lottery.

Don't over estimate the IQ of the general public in our society, they are mainly functioning on the lowest processing power needed to get by, nothing more. But I agree, when they get hurt or their loved one dies they start to wonder if they got the best care because if they didn't then it's a great opportunity to sue someone and make some money, basically it's equivalent to playing the lottery.
Exactly. The same way certain people associate certain bad outcomes with vaccination, they will associate them with CRNAs. But, as with all other things, most people will be brainwashed into thinking whatever the media overlords want them to think.

It doesn't take much IQ to want the best.

It might take a lot of IQ to know what the best is in this world filled with private interests.

The blowhard in the video seems to think that independent physicians is aBAD THING.Then at the end he says that dentists will remain independent because inherently they are independent and physicians are not. WTF.. Is that not a bunch of BS.

Total BS. Take a look at the growing opportunity for FM doctors to transition to direct pay. The demand is there.