Current state of podiatry fellowships...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bump. For those of you that have recently been involved in the fellowship search/interview process, what are the fellowships that allow a fellow to use cases for board numbers? I was unable to find this information on the forum or ACFAS. Thanks in advance.
Seems like a nice perk, in reality not applicable. Not enough that you somehow comhe out and board cert right away, and it's going to only add a handful of cases that might help you get it a year faster on your own. Should have zero impact on desire to do fellowship

Members don't see this ad.

you did the entire work up leading up to surgery and did the complete follow up you can log it. All notes need to be documented and signed by you and not your fellowship director.

I don’t think this part is true. You only need to have a note before surgery and you need to be the surgeon of record on the op report and in the facility’s logs/circulator’s notes.

since most fellowships are pointless I haven’t kept up with how most run, but I would assume any fellowship where you are the primary surgeon on the op report, is also a fellowship where you have your own clinic and therefore are doing the workup and follow up any ways.

Thread from the grave. One thing no one is mentioning to consider is this: when looking at a Fellowship, see if the hospital where it is at gives free meals to the residents/fellows. Ate like a damn king during rotations, I can still remember those fantastic free meals.

EDIT: Oh man I still remember the grill line, patty melt's with cheddar cheese and tons of ketchup

Members don't see this ad :)
As a matter of fact, let me list my power-rankings for choosing a fellowship/job:

1) Free meals at the hospital cafeteria
2) Free bus passes
3) Let me take a box of gloves home every month for housework
4) Healthcare for myself
5) A salary. Any salary.
6) Let me join a hospital employee union so it's harder to fire me
7) Discount sporting event tickets
8) Healthcare for my family
9) Shared office with less than 4 people

Reactions: 1 user
If you're doing a fellowship and you cant see your own patients, do your own sx, and generate cases for boards then you are wasting away 1 year of board eligibility to do someones scut work. If you are just seeing post op's 3x a week and assisting in cases here n there then you are wasting your life, money, board eligibility.
95% of The ACFAS fellowships are just another way these podiatrists make money by hiring these fellows to dump on for 60k salary. (the don't have to hire a PA to see post-ops, or assist in surgery or pull out one of their partners, instead just hire a "fellow." ) Call each of those ACFAS fellowships and ask them how many cases their previous fellow generated. then go call an orthopedic fellowship program and ask them the same question.

again, our profession continues to screw over the young .

Reactions: 4 users
I only know one fellowship trained pod who was able to log cases for boards. She’s now clipping nails for a group of old podiatrists.

well done podiatry.

Reactions: 1 user
if I am applying for hospital job with 3+ years of experience and already ABFAS certified and you are a new grad with fellowship and ABFAS qualified - I am getting the job 9/10 over you.

I have yet to come across a hospital/MSG position that even mentioned fellowship training but almost all require a minimum 2 years practice experience. I have talked to several recruiters and they have gone to their supervisors and asked if they would make an exception and all said no. Agreed, you might be better off just working for a few years and then pursuing that avenue if that is your end goal. I do think you might have better luck getting a look from a stand alone ortho group though. But of the guys I know working in that setting, < 1/2 are fellowship trained, so maybe not.