Current undergrad status.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whiterhino

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I'm fairly new to the whole pre med process and wanted to get some opinions on my current status and what I can do to improve my chances of getting accepted to medical school. I'm a sophomore at a large state school. 4.0 GPA in college but got 2 B's in a high school dual enrollment course which is concerning. I did an internship summer after my freshman year at a cancer clinical trials company. It wasn't clinical but read reports on patients and did data entry. I have about 50 hours so far of physician shadowing. Starting volunteering in the ED this week doing 4 hours a week. Also starting volunteering in an inner city elementary school clinic this week. 30 hours of non clinical volunteering in an inner city kids program. I'm really hoping to get into the likes of Vandy or Baylor and wanted to know where I stand.

Members don't see this ad.

You're doing well

No one cares about the Bs from high school. You don't believe me now but I'm telling you, no one cares

Shadowing is good. Do more if you want, but it's enough already

Keep doing summer internships. Try different positions in different areas of medicine or even beyond medicine if you're interested

Keep up the volunteering. Find one that you really like and commit more time to it. Hours aren't everything but you should commit for your own good and their good.

If you want a top school, you'll need research. Easiest way is to get it at school during the semester or over the summer. Don't gun for pubs but make sure you get to know people at the research place and work hard

The 4.0 will disappear at some point. Don't go crazy when it does. Challenge yourself a little bit more in your middle years so you can be prepped for the MCAT.

Don't **** up the MCAT. Don't get IAs. You're in good shape

Reactions: 1 user
You're doing well

No one cares about the Bs from high school. You don't believe me now but I'm telling you, no one cares

Shadowing is good. Do more if you want, but it's enough already

Keep doing summer internships. Try different positions in different areas of medicine or even beyond medicine if you're interested

Keep up the volunteering. Find one that you really like and commit more time to it. Hours aren't everything but you should commit for your own good and their good.

If you want a top school, you'll need research. Easiest way is to get it at school during the semester or over the summer. Don't gun for pubs but make sure you get to know people at the research place and work hard

The 4.0 will disappear at some point. Don't go crazy when it does. Challenge yourself a little bit more in your middle years so you can be prepped for the MCAT.

Don't **** up the MCAT. Don't get IAs. You're in good shape

I think he means he took college courses when he was in high school, which do count towards GPA and appear on transcripts. At least, they did for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think he means he took college courses when he was in high school, which do count towards GPA and appear on transcripts. At least, they did for me.
Duh, I know. But after 3-4 years of college credits the impact of those two grades will be minimal and schools will not care anymore.

Ok so I'm fairly new to the whole pre med process and wanted to get some opinions on my current status and what I can do to improve my chances of getting accepted to medical school. I'm a sophomore at a large state school. 4.0 GPA in college but got 2 B's in a high school dual enrollment course which is concerning. I did an internship summer after my freshman year at a cancer clinical trials company. It wasn't clinical but read reports on patients and did data entry. I have about 50 hours so far of physician shadowing. Starting volunteering in the ED this week doing 4 hours a week. Also starting volunteering in an inner city elementary school clinic this week. 30 hours of non clinical volunteering in an inner city kids program. I'm really hoping to get into the likes of Vandy or Baylor and wanted to know where I stand.

You're in good shape. If you took college level courses dual-enrolled and received B's in them your overall GPA is less than a 4.0. In any event you're in good shape, just keep it up. You started working on your EC's early enough to demonstrate commitment. Don't over-commit and burn yourself out and you'll be fine.

Duh, I know. But after 3-4 years of college credits the impact of those two grades will be minimal and schools will not care anymore.

Duh? You didn't know.

Duh? You didn't know.
I had dual enrolled grades myself, had to hunt down those transcripts, but thanks for arguing with me on this total nonissue that is of zero help to OP

OP- If you have identified a physician that you've shadowed recently that would be able to provide you with a strong LoR it might be beneficial to get that ball rolling. Having to track down and refresh a letter writer's memory is more of a pain than banking a LoR with Interfolio in advance for a year or two.

I had dual enrolled grades myself, had to hunt down those transcripts, but thanks for arguing with me on this total nonissue that is of zero help to OP

Well, I guess it's not as bad as making a post ^^ that doesn't even address OP at all... or "Duh" making a post just because you don't want to be wrong.

You provided OP with inaccurate advice in your first post:
"No one cares about Bs from high school" and "That 4.0 will disappear at some point"

If those grades were dual enrollment college credits then they do matter. While having a few Bs doesn't destroy OP's GPA they are not irrelevant and they do matter. OP's 4.0 has also already disappeared if he received Bs in dual enrollment college courses.

Your advice was either inaccurate because you didn't know OP's credits were dual enrollment or you purposefully provided inaccurate information... Either way replying with "Duh I know!" when someone politely interjected with a correction is deserving of a total nonissue post.