Currently in Engineering, but want to be a Dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

Russell7

Here's my situation.

I've always wanted to be a dentist, however, I didn't think that I was smart enough in highschool, so I went into engineering. First semester I got a 3.8 GPA, but I didn't think much of it, since I was in easier classes. This semester I buckled down, got a 4.0, and now I'm sitting at a 3.9 (4.0 scale).

I didn't get these marks until after the deadline for applications for next year, so I'm stuck in engineering. In Canada, you need at least a 3.7-3.75 GPA to be competitive for Dentistry. I think that I can easily get this in science, but I heard that in Engineering, it is extremely hard to get a high GPA after first year. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

If you like engineering sick with engineering, if you don't want to do engineering don't do it. :confused:

What's your question?

If you built a strong backgroud in Physics and Calculus during the first year, it is not that hard to do well for the rest of the years. It is just more details.

Members don't see this ad :)
Russell7 said:
Here's my situation.

I didn't think that I was smart enough in highschool, so I went into engineering.

You think engineering is easier than dentistry :sleep:

NA4242 said:
Russell7 said:
Here's my situation.

I didn't think that I was smart enough in highschool, so I went into engineering.

I personally dont think engineering is any much easier than any field. I have studied biomedical engineering and being able to integrate biology, chemistry, physics, and calculus and be in top of all of those requires lots of work and IQ. Engineers are designers, creative, and smart..believe me !!!

mahya said:
NA4242 said:
I personally dont think engineering is any much easier than any field. I have studied biomedical engineering and being able to integrate biology, chemistry, physics, and calculus and be in top of all of those requires lots of work and IQ. Engineers are designers, creative, and smart..believe me !!!

So true. Eventhough BME kicked my a** bigtime, it's given me a good science + engineering/design background. To suceed in dental school (at least for the course work part) you need to be good at time managment and memorizing... Engineering homework involves you applying your knowledge to solve the problem== it is not a streightforward memorizing note!!. I never forget the many sleepless nights doing engineering HW!! But I think overall it was very worth it!

engineering is probably the most difficult field of study, especially electrical engineering, engineering physics, stuff like that. I'm a biological/biomedical engineer and I thought I had it easy comparing to some of my friends who are in electrical eng. But yeah, biomedical engineering involves knowledge of the basic sciences, advanced math problem solving skills, knowledge of everything from mechanics of materials to thermodynamics to fluid dynamics to stats, ability to integrate ideas and use these ideas to for example come up with a design for a device. It's definitely not an easy field of study. At the same time, i had the opportunity to take courses such as biochemistry and neurobiology. Really, if you want to major in engineering, consider in biomedical engineering. It is the most revelant towards dentistry, and you really get alot out of the experience over the four year span. I even had a chance to take a course on enterpreneurship, which is definitely useful for a dentist who wants to start his/her own practice. Seeking investment, accounting, projecting income growth etc, and planning out your business. Really useful course.

NA4242 said:
Russell7 said:
Here's my situation.

I didn't say that. If you'd read my post, you would've seen that competitive GPA for dentistry on a 4.0 scale is a 3.70-3.75 up here. Surely you agree that it is easier to get through engineering, than to get a 3.75 in a science major. Very few people have GPA's that high.

To the above poster, I unfortunately don't have the option to do biomed, my school doesn't offer it.

I either have the option to do my MechE degree, and try to get all the pre-requisities done or Dentistry on top of that, or else plead with the University to allow me into sciences.

you don't need a 3.7 to get into a dental school. I had a 3.3 as an engineering major and got in Columbia. From my own personal experience, it's not easy to get a 3.7 as an engineer.

As a former chemical engineer, engineering would be about the last major I'd select if I wanted a high gpa.

As someone already said, in engineering you're not only graded on your mastery of the concepts, but also how you apply them to solve problems. Therefore, you're graded on creativity, the efficiency and economics of your solution/proposal, etc. IMO it's much easier to get an A on a bio test that tests nothing but your knowledge.

The reason that engineering gets harder after the first year is because the first year is mostly the scientific basis, whereas the last three are the actual "engineering" classes.

mochafreak said:
As a former chemical engineer, engineering would be about the last major I'd select if I wanted a high gpa.

As someone already said, in engineering you're not only graded on your mastery of the concepts, but also how you apply them to solve problems. Therefore, you're graded on creativity, the efficiency and economics of your solution/proposal, etc. IMO it's much easier to get an A on a bio test that tests nothing but your knowledge.

The reason that engineering gets harder after the first year is because the first year is mostly the scientific basis, whereas the last three are the actual "engineering" classes.

Mocha, have you been keeping up with lord stanley lately??? What the hell happen to Philly, colorado, and detroit..

"I've always wanted to be a dentist, however, I didn't think that I was smart enough in highschool, so I went into engineering. "

Hmm, I don't know your education background, but from what I know...Engineering is not easy to get into. It is one of the toughest fields, requiring a lot of knowledge and skills.

And it's the Engineering background, that most medical/dental schools seem to like seeing in their candidates. Not only do Engineers have engineering, and science/math backgrounds, they have the skills to get into medical schools. They are mad smart people.

hockeydentist said:
Mocha, have you been keeping up with lord stanley lately??? What the hell happen to Philly, colorado, and detroit..

Yup, gotta love those real OT's huh? I PM'd you too... ;)

INFNITE said:
you don't need a 3.7 to get into a dental school. I had a 3.3 as an engineering major and got in Columbia. From my own personal experience, it's not easy to get a 3.7 as an engineer.

I don't live in the United States. It's more competitive up here in Canada. The easiest school to get into up here has an average GPA acceptance of 3.7.

hockeydentist said:

My boys in Edmonton took out Detroit :cool:

Russell7 said:
My boys in Edmonton took out Detroit :cool:

Yup, and my boys in Colorado took out the Stars. Bye Bye to the 1 and 2 seeds. :D

StephL26 said:
"I've always wanted to be a dentist, however, I didn't think that I was smart enough in highschool, so I went into engineering. "

Hmm, I don't know your education background, but from what I know...Engineering is not easy to get into. It is one of the toughest fields, requiring a lot of knowledge and skills.

And it's the Engineering background, that most medical/dental schools seem to like seeing in their candidates. Not only do Engineers have engineering, and science/math backgrounds, they have the skills to get into medical schools. They are mad smart people.
Although I'm not smart, I like your response. ;) It's kind of funny when people say, "that guy/gal is so smart. He/she aced the anatomy/micro/bio... test..." Smart should be used to describe someone that invents/creates something.
IMO, getting into engineering is not hard, but finishing it and being able to apply the knowledge to the real world is the harder part. I can't say about other engineering majors, but for EE, what you learn from school is very basic compared to what goes on in the real world. Schools only give you a basic foundation given that you do well in your class. On average, it takes about 5 years to bring a new graduate to engineering level. BTW, graduate with 3.7+ is very rare, at least at my school.